Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Brian Williams just said that Michael Steele was not a member of the RNC

going into today.

Does anyone know anything else about this?

Re: Brian Williams just said that Michael Steele was not a member of the RNC

• I heard/saw that too. I was surprised because everytime he's run for and held office he's run/served as a Republican.
  • I think that is true and, truthfully, a breath of fresh air to have someone outside of the organization.  I am trying to find, but everything I read says 168 members vote and it seems none of the candidates were part of this count.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image FarBeyondRubies:
    I heard/saw that too. I was surprised because everytime he's run for and held office he's run/served as a Republican.

I don't think that is what Williams meant (unless I am reading you wrong) that he is not a Republican...just not a member of the RNC.

• image TefLepOM:
    I think that is true and, truthfully, a breath of fresh air to have someone outside of the organization.  I am trying to find, but everything I read says 168 members vote and it seems none of the candidates were part of this count.

Thanks, TefLepOM.  I agree that it could be a breath of fresh air for the Republicans.

I do wonder if the RNC will come more in line with his views-fiscal conservative, less of an emphasis on social issues or will he come more in line with the RNC and their current platform.

His change in stance on gay marriage makes me think he might change his tune to come more in line with the current RNC platform, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and judge based on his words and actions and not by "what-if's."

• image TefLepOM:

image FarBeyondRubies:
    I heard/saw that too. I was surprised because everytime he's run for and held office he's run/served as a Republican.

I don't think that is what Williams meant (unless I am reading you wrong) that he is not a Republican...just not a member of the RNC.

Forigve me ignorance, what is the difference? Don't you become a Republican by joining the RNC?

• No problem :).  I just realized that I sound like a swooner over him (I do like him-especially his education stances), but hopefully I am not to the Steele Girl level.

As far as his social views--I really think (and I posted this below) that with his past leadership in the RLC, a group that is less inclined to hold the views of social conservatives, I feel he will focus more on fiscal ones. 

• image FarBeyondRubies:
    image TefLepOM:

image FarBeyondRubies:

Forigve me ignorance, what is the difference? Don't you become a Republican by joining the RNC?

I don't think so.  I read there are only 168 members, so I think only some people are part of it...not all elected Republicans.  At least that is my understanding.