Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

We want a puppy!

DH and I have decided we want a puppy. We want to get a smaller one right now. We would like to adopt, but I don't even know where to begin. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to adopt a puppy? TIA!

Re: We want a puppy!

• www.petfinder.com

They list dogs from area shelters and rescues.  On the left just enter the criteria (dog, around what zip code, size, age) and it will show you the results.

We got our beagle from the Oklahoma Beagle Rescue (www.okbr.org). 

There are also a couple locations of Free to Live (they are a no-kill shelter).  I don't know if they have a website or not.

Fabulous and Funky - A Blog by Me

Momma to two angel babies,
    Squishy BFP 06/15/2010, EDD 02/21/2011, M/C approx. 07/15/2010
    Jellybean BFP 01/29/2011, EDD 10/07/2011, M/C 03/23/2011.

Grow Baby Beet!! BFP 11/21/2011, EDD 07/28/2011.
    Keeping fingers crossed that third times the charm.
  • Check out "Free to Live" in Edmond. I love them! When this baby comes I'm going to start volunteering up there. They are a no kill shelter.

http://www.freetoliveok.com/ 

• I would go to a local pound...those are the animals that are put to sleep if no one adopts them. Although I guess if you don't finad anything there you could always try one of the non-profit shelters...Second Chance in Norman is a good one too.
    No....click me!!!! Cause I'm the wedding bio! Bloggin it up! Prince Charming stole my heart and we rode off on his white horse... "A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous." -Ingrid Bergman- Lilypie First Birthday tickers Check out my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/LemonDropDesignShop
  • I agree you should look at Petfinder because there are SO many dogs. You're sure to find one. Otherwise, I agree that Second Chance in Norman is great (I got my dog from there about four years ago), along with Free To Live and Pets & People. Otherwise, Petfinder has lists of breed rescues, so if you're looking for a specific breed you can go through one of those rescues as well.

Good luck, and have fun! I love hearing that people are planning on adopting a dog. :) It makes me happy. I'm a huge supporter of adopting shelter dogs.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • I agree with Petfinder...  A lot of local shelters and rescue groups list their dogs on there.  If you are looking for a particular breed or a full blooded something or other there are a ton of rescue groups for specific dogs.  LEt me know if I can help! 
  • Yay! Rescue/shelter dogs are the way to go.  And these days, unfortunately, the shelters are full to the brim due to the economic downturn.  We have pugs and belong to the Pug Meetup. 

There was a post on our board this week about a sweet 1 year old female named Bella who needs to be adopted because her owner died.

She was spayed last week, got all of her vaccinations and is on heartworm medicine.

If you are interested please email Missy at [email protected]

Tell her Lori Wright from the Tulsa Pug Party MeetUp Board sent you.

Pugs are awesome housepets...they live to be with people and cuddle.  They can have their issues too (like shedding) but I highly recommend them for folks who want a smaller/toy dog that isn't yippy or skittish.  They do require their nails trimmed every 10-14 days, wrinkles cleaned daily, as well as the other grooming that toy dogs require (anal gland expression can be necessary in smaller dogs).  You can certainly learn to do all of it or take them to the neighborhood groomers to get it done (wrinkles are easy to clean at home with unscented baby wipes or a wash cloth with mild soap and water).  We adore our two and could not imagine life without them!

Here is the local Pug Rescue Group, called Homeward Bound, in OK City.  They have many furbabies available for adoption: http://www.homewardboundpugs.com/available.html

Just a warning...once you see their little faces and read their stories you'll want ALL of them!  We adopted a senior resuce pug, Sophie, several years back from the local Pug Rescue in NorCal.  Sophie was 14 when we got her and she stayed with us just a year before she passed.  But she was the sweetest, most loving girl.  We were happy to have been able to treat her like a princess at the end of her life after she had suffered years of neglect.  That year was as amazing for us as it was for her.

FWIW, pugs can live 20 years if they're well cared for and they are spunky and puppy like until they are about 4 years old.  They slow down after that, but just a bit, they're still silly and cuddly.  The upside of getting a pug that's over a year old is you won't have to suffer through the potty training and destructive phase.  Our Luigi is nearly 1 year old and he's got the potty training down, but the chewing/destructive stuff still happens now and again.  After about 16 months it calms down considerably.  We got him at 8 weeks and it was a real challenge for the first several months.  He potty trained faster than our girl did, but his chewing and destroying things is probably worse than she was at that age.