Pets

Can you give a dog turkey gizzard, heart, & neck?

We're hosting Thanksgiving for the first time and I was wondering what the heck I'd do with all the "extra" stuff that the turkey comes with.  We have a huge turkey (my uncle actually won it so we didn't get to pick the size) so we don't plan on eating those parts ourselves. 

Is it OK for us to give Sophie some or all of these parts (in small portions spread out of course)?  And if so how do I prepare them? 

Signed the girl who's never cooked a turkey before.  Embarrassed

Re: Can you give a dog turkey gizzard, heart, & neck?

• yep, you can give it all to her - give it to her raw.

She might be a bit put off at first, but mt dogs LOVE chicken necks. The heart and the gizzard got some taking used to because it is richer, but they still like it.

Move along, nothing to see here.....
  • So then do I just cut it up and mix it in with her kibble or by it's self?  How much should I give her at one time?  She's 51 lbs. 

• i feed them raw.  the boneless stuff can be cooked, but anything with bones needs to be served raw.  i just give them as random treats.  organs are very rich, so give in moderation.  for a 50 pound dog, i'd just give the heart one day, neck another, and gizzard another. 

and if you've never cooked a turkey before....alton browns brined turkey is yummy! 

Have you seen my monkey?
  • image nital:

i feed them raw.  the boneless stuff can be cooked, but anything with bones needs to be served raw.  i just give them as random treats.  organs are very rich, so give in moderation.  for a 50 pound dog, i'd just give the heart one day, neck another, and gizzard another. 

and if you've never cooked a turkey before....alton browns brined turkey is yummy! 

LOL, that's what I'm planning on doing!  I'm actually sitting here studying the differences of Alton Brown's recipe, Pioneer Woman's brined turkey recipe, and William Sonoma's buttermilk brined turkey.  Do you think the buttermilk would be good or just too much milk fat?  I was thinking I'd skip that part since I want to baste it with butter for that rich color.  Oh and on Alton Brown's recipe do you just pour all that aromatic stuff in the cavity or do you keep it inside a bowl or something?  Sorry this post took a turn...

My family thinks I'm crazy to try this brining stuff BTW.  They make the same d@mn dishes every single year but that's not happening at my Thanksgiving!

• i was told i was making turkey again this year.  with the same recipe. 

aromatic stuff just got shoved in the bird and tossed in the oven.  i'm pretty unadventurous the first time i try a recipe...so i always use it as stated, and then tweak in the future.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • Thanks!  I figured it did but I wasn't sure if I would stay in there or fall out.  : )  One more question...did you brine your turkey in a bag or a pot?  I've seen it both ways and got some turkey bags because I thought it would be easier but of course they don't seal and unseal so I can rotate the bird. 

Well that's a good sign that they want you to make it again!  Good luck cooking your bird.

• um...i ended up using a big rubbermaid container that i usually use for storing the dog's frozen meat.  it fit nicely.  with bags, i'm thinking put the turkey in, pour brine over, and then twist it to get all the air out, and then you don't have to rotate.  and then i'd probably put it the whole mess into a big container (in case of leaks) before putting it in the fridge.  or maybe use a giant cooler, depending on how big the bird is.
    Have you seen my monkey?
  • Great thanks.  Yeah, I have to see what kind of container I have that will fit it.  I'm going to pick it up tonight so we'll see. 

• Totally not related to your original post, but I love Williams Sonoma's Apple and Spice Brine for our turkey.  I used it last year and it was fantastic!  I'm doing it again this year.

We tried to give our Catahoula the turkey parts last year and he wanted nothing to do with them.  He's a picky eater though.

BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image
  • image Lalacane:

Totally not related to your original post, but I love Williams Sonoma's Apple and Spice Brine for our turkey.  I used it last year and it was fantastic!  I'm doing it again this year.

We tried to give our Catahoula the turkey parts last year and he wanted nothing to do with them.  He's a picky eater though.

Thanks for the recommendation!  Do you know how many turkeys you can brine with one jar?  Is it one to one or can you get more out of it? 

Hmm...I don't think Sophie is a picky eater but we rarely give her human food so we'll see.  : )