Money Matters

"should i change from single to married?"

we got married in june and never changed our claiming status i thought we should just wait to the new year? ur advice would be great TIA
image 2011

Re: "should i change from single to married?"

• We still both claim single, and even at that, we ended up owing this past year....so I would say not necessarily.  A lot of it depends on whether you both work, your income level and your deductions (whether or not you have mortgage interest, etc). 

I believe IRS.gov has a calculator that could help you out.

• image Mrs.ND:

We still both claim single, and even at that, we ended up owing this past year....so I would say not necessarily.  A lot of it depends on whether you both work, your income level and your deductions (whether or not you have mortgage interest, etc). 

I believe IRS.gov has a calculator that could help you out.

Ditto.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was wondering this same thing.  We got married in Septmeber and have not changed anything.
  • yes, but you need to do the withholding calculator on www.irs.gov as you may need to adjust your withholdings now that you are married.  And, you actually "have" to change to married, but you can select "married, but withhold at higher single rate".
  • You aren't required to change your status on your W-4 forms.  Single status will deduct more out of your paycheck vs married. 

• image SandAndSea:
    yes, but you need to do the withholding calculator on www.irs.gov as you may need to adjust your withholdings now that you are married.  And, you actually "have" to change to married, but you can select "married, but withhold at higher single rate".

This is correct.

• I'd probably wait until tax time to see how you guys come out together with the deductions that you have selected, and modify based on how much you get back (assuming your incomes next year will be fairly similar to this year).
  • I changed to married but withhold at higher single rate.  DH and I both do this--and we ended up oweing quite a bit last year and now have to pay in estimated taxes. 
  • We did not change because we used the IRS calculator (hopefully it is working again) to run the numbers and because DH always withholds a little less than he owes and I always try to be within $100, it said we would be fine. ?But then we ended up owning two houses for two months, a bunch of charitable donations related to our wedding, and some other stuff, so we ended up getting a $3000 refund. ?This year will be equally tricky since I wasn't paid for two months, then got my new job where I make 1.5 times my old salary, and we owned two houses for 5 months. ?

So you'll just have to play it by ear, but run your tax numbers early so you will have time to save in case you need to pay a lot. ??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image Explorer_2001:

image SandAndSea:
    yes, but you need to do the withholding calculator on www.irs.gov as you may need to adjust your withholdings now that you are married.  And, you actually "have" to change to married, but you can select "married, but withhold at higher single rate".

This is correct.

I don't understand this.  I've never before heard that you had to change to married.  We obviously file our tax as married but our withholdings are still single.

imageimageimage
  • That's just how it works...you are married so you technically can no longer have "single" checked on the W-4.  But, you do have the option that says, "Married, but withhold at higher single rates" if you wish to have the larger amount withheld.  After you are married, you should resubmit a new W-4 that changes your status to married.
  • thanks im going to go to that site now!
    image 2011
  • image amyb2332:
    image Explorer_2001:

image SandAndSea:

This is correct.

I don't understand this.  I've never before heard that you had to change to married.  We obviously file our tax as married but our withholdings are still single.

DH's still says single and we've been married over a year (so we filed taxes this way earlier this year). 

• you will get more back probably. 

Elton John pictures

• image brinkly:
    image amyb2332:
    image Explorer_2001:

image SandAndSea:

This is correct.

DH's still says single and we've been married over a year (so we filed taxes this way earlier this year). 

We've been married since 2004 and we both still claim Single on our W4's. Our accountant has never said we needed to change it, either.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image amyb2332:
    image Explorer_2001:

image SandAndSea:

This is correct.

We also file married but claim single.

• Ditto the "married but withhold at higher single rate." ?From what I understand if you say married it basically withholds as if your income was the total household income, and you'll end up owing a lot.