Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I know I'm a jerky SIL (re: WIC)

124»

Re: I know I'm a jerky SIL (re: WIC)

• image MrsPhillips08:
    image c_joy:

I assume your college roommate was pregnant, right? Ugh, I can't imagine trying to live off dorm food while pregnant and not being able to purchase anything else.

Yes she was.  Our cafeteria was not bad at all.  It was buffet style and provided meals for any lifestyle including; vegan, vegetarian and low fat.  There was no limit to how much you could eat or take back to your room.  Our meal plans also provided "points" to buy milk, cheese and cereal from the campus stores.  The points were configured that you "should" (keeping in mind you did not over buy) be able to last the semester.

She really did have all the food she needed at hand.  She just wanted more food now then to wait when she no longer was on the dorm meal plan.

The horror of a pregnant woman wanting more food. 

• image marriednow06:
    image MrsPhillips08:
    image c_joy:

I assume your college roommate was pregnant, right? Ugh, I can't imagine trying to live off dorm food while pregnant and not being able to purchase anything else.

Yes she was.  Our cafeteria was not bad at all.  It was buffet style and provided meals for any lifestyle including; vegan, vegetarian and low fat.  There was no limit to how much you could eat or take back to your room.  Our meal plans also provided "points" to buy milk, cheese and cereal from the campus stores.  The points were configured that you "should" (keeping in mind you did not over buy) be able to last the semester.

She really did have all the food she needed at hand.  She just wanted more food now then to wait when she no longer was on the dorm meal plan.

The horror of a pregnant woman wanting more food. 

You'd think she was growing another human being inside her body or something. *snort.*

• I will have a completely unpopular, un-PC opinion for this post, but I think that in all honesty in the US, too many people have a child or children when they cannot afford to. I feel like people have them and "deal with the financial consequences later on"...meaning don't think ahead with a plan for their family's financial security and future. That being said, I know things come up...unexpected health problems, doctor bills, layoffs, etc. But you think it's fine to take advantage of $30 a month from the government that is not money that you have earned when you're perfectly capable of earning it yourself?

It is a couples CHOICE to have a baby. I do believe it's sad that it is now a luxury to have a stay-at-home parent these days...my mom stayed home with all 5 of us when we were kids and while we never had new clothes or materialistic items (myself and my sibs had chores and jobs as soon as we were old enough to babysit, mow lawns, etc.), I loved having my mother home all day. My dad didn't make a lot of money, but we made it work without an ounce of assistance from the government. Times are different now and it's much harder to live on one income.

As a married person sans kids (for now), my husband and I are working our tails off to save save save for having a baby in a year or two. We both have strong incomes for now, but we're PLANNING ahead and cushion our savings and investments so that should one of us lose a job or something unexpected come up, we'll still be financially stable to the best of our abilities. We don't drive fancy cars and could care less about the materialistic luxuries...it's definitely not all about the dollar to keep up with the Joneses...it's about having enough dollars to be 100% self sufficient when we choose to have a child.

I just think it's sad that no one ever mentions that having children is a choice and bottom line, if you haven't thought ahead for the bare minimums of food, clothing, shelter and taking care of kids on one income (should you choose and AFFORD to have a parent stay home), the government is automatically expected to pick up the slack. I think WIC is a necessary aid, but I think too many people take advantage of it.

• image ck1ck1ck1:

I just think it's sad that no one ever mentions that having children is a choice and bottom line, if you haven't thought ahead for the bare minimums of food, clothing, shelter and taking care of kids on one income (should you choose and AFFORD to have a parent stay home), the government is automatically expected to pick up the slack. I think WIC is a necessary aid, but I think too many people take advantage of it.

Of course this, and your whole post, is true. The problem is that when people choose to have kids before they are able to afford it, there is an innocent child involved. The child didn't CHOOSE to be born to parents that couldn't afford him, so why should he have to suffer. It's either Let the kids do without their basic needs, take them away from their parents, or have the government provide for their most basic needs. The cheapest, easiest, and most compassionate (most of the time) thing to do is government assistance. Of course it isn't ideal for those of us that have held off until they were financially ready, but the alternatives are much worse.

So it goes.
  • image ck1ck1ck1:

I will have a completely unpopular, un-PC opinion for this post, but I think that in all honesty in the US, too many people have a child or children when they cannot afford to. I feel like people have them and "deal with the financial consequences later on"...meaning don't think ahead with a plan for their family's financial security and future. That being said, I know things come up...unexpected health problems, doctor bills, layoffs, etc. But you think it's fine to take advantage of $30 a month from the government that is not money that you have earned when you're perfectly capable of earning it yourself?

It is a couples CHOICE to have a baby. I do believe it's sad that it is now a luxury to have a stay-at-home parent these days...my mom stayed home with all 5 of us when we were kids and while we never had new clothes or materialistic items (myself and my sibs had chores and jobs as soon as we were old enough to babysit, mow lawns, etc.), I loved having my mother home all day. My dad didn't make a lot of money, but we made it work without an ounce of assistance from the government. Times are different now and it's much harder to live on one income.

As a married person sans kids (for now), my husband and I are working our tails off to save save save for having a baby in a year or two. We both have strong incomes for now, but we're PLANNING ahead and cushion our savings and investments so that should one of us lose a job or something unexpected come up, we'll still be financially stable to the best of our abilities. We don't drive fancy cars and could care less about the materialistic luxuries...it's definitely not all about the dollar to keep up with the Joneses...it's about having enough dollars to be 100% self sufficient when we choose to have a child.

Wrong-o!  It's not a CHOICE; it's a CHILD (duh!)  Wink

Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • I absolutely agree with you, we should never take it out on the poor kids...it's just a sad situation in general. I guess it's just my vent and it's just frustrating as someone who's trying to work hard to be financially stable enough to afford kids before we have them when there are the few out there that take advantage. I can't imagine balancing work and kiddos, but we're trying to do our best to set ourselves up to do both with as little stress as possible and to be completely self sufficient when the time comes. And to be honest, people taking advantage of the system set such a poor example for their innocent kids that it will likely be a devilish little circle when the kids get older.
  • WIC is really one of those programs I don't care who uses as long as it gets used...

really can you judge anyone putting food into any childs mouth? Rich or poor lazy or go getters....WIC is for nutrition not for anything else