Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anything to do around Gulf Shores other than the beach?

We're planning to take our first family vacation since our twins were born.  We were thinking of going to Gulf Shores because DS1 has been begging to go to the beach.  Are there any good family attractions within a few hours of there?  We fear that after a few days the beach would be boring. 
GSx1 - 05/13/2013
babybaby

Re: Anything to do around Gulf Shores other than the beach?

• annekannek member
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's the outlet mall in Foley, AL. All the mini golf and go karts you can stand. In Pensacola there's the National Aviation Museum. It's been a while since I've been so I'm sure other stuff has popped up since then.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10757;455/st/20130502/e/our+trip+to+the+KY+Derby%21/k/c599/event.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • No, but that is why we love it.  We have gone to Lulus, a restaurant/Marina/sand volleyball/large sandbox for kids with outdoor music.  It is part of the Jimmy Buffet empire, named after his sister.  It is,a tourist trap but fun for an evening.  We also like the Hangout, similar to Lulus.  There is also the Wharf that has a theater for rainy days.  Other restaurants we have done are the Shrimp Basket, Lamberts( home of the thrown rolls featured on Food Network), Lillian's Pizza.  

• Forgot to mention that you can do a dolphin cruise- my daughter still talks,about it over a year later.  We also like Sea n Suds and the Florabama Lounge. We are doing Disney this year, but I would rather go. to Gulf Shores.  
  • Hi, 

We have been to Gulf Shores many times in the last few years. You will enjoy a relaxing getaway. We use Brett Robinson (I think) to book a condo for the week. I believe it was Phoenix 9 we stayed in 2 years ago and we liked it because it was quite down that far and it was a bit more updated.

The Warf is great. It has some good shopping, a Ferris Wheel and a movie theater so this coupled with lunch could be a whole day. The Outlet Mall is highly recommended and again another whole day activity. They have a huge Pottery store there too which could take up some time. Not a fan of shopping? Try out "The Track Family Rec. Center" we go here each time we are there. Souvenir City (with the huge shark) might be a good place for the children to wander and look. 

You can always change it up and go to the pool which all have hot tubs. Florabama is a bar right on the line that is fun fun fun for adults only. I know you can rent jetskis and ride in the 'lake' which is on the other side of the main road that cuts between the water. You can rent kayaks and do para-sailing too.