May 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.


I know I have been MIA since I got back from vacation but I need your help ladies.

You all remember the insurance situation with MIL's house. Well they totaled it out and sent us the check in MIL's name. Now we have a check the bank refuses to do anything with even with a copy of the death certificate and succesion. And the insurance company says the check has to go in her name because she is the policy holder (we didn't change it because we were planning to cancel it this yearwhen the policy was up and she paid yearly).

I have a call into the lawyer who did the succesion to see what he says we should do. However I am stressing because that is a rather large check to just not cash. Do you ladies know of anything we could do? Or who should be "responsible" for fixing this?

Re: Help!

  • That's weird. I can understand it being in her name, but don't most house insurance have a beneficiary listed in case the principle holder dies? That person should be able to cash it with the certificate of death. Around here something like that would probably go to small claims court and just have a judge order that the check be made out in the beneficiaries name. If you already have contacted a lawyer I'm sure he will be able to tell you the next steps or how to get it changed outside of court.
  • Was there an estate opened? Granted, we are in Ohio, but the attorney I work with said you might have to open an estate and appoint your H or BIL as executor and they will be able to cash it. 
  • Did she have a will or power of attorney? If she has someone named as her personal representative, you should be able to cash it with the short certificate showing that she died and so-and-so is her personal representative. I know in DE, you don't need to open an estate if its under a certain amount. All you need is a small estate affidavit.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards