Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Seasonal Clothing

Does anyone "swap" their clothes each season? I don't have a lot of closet space so I'm trying to use under the bed storage containers so I can swap my seasonal clothing twice a year. This is such a hassle so I'm wondering if it's something normal people do and I'm also wondering if there is an easier way to do it? Also, how does everyone store their off-season clothes?

Be sure to follow The Nest on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest!

Re: Seasonal Clothing

• I have a combination of too much clothing and a small master closet.  DH and I each have one large (18 gallon I believe) Rubbermaid container in our basement.  We have a lot of basement storage so this isn't an issue.  I always grew up packing away our out of season clothing, but I figured I may have inherited this habit from my mother. 

I wish I didn't have to pack it away, but it's usually just sweaters, heavy pants, fleece pjs and socks that I wouldn't be wearing in the summer anyway. 

• We have a big basement closet, so I have my off-season clothes there.  We're lucky that our house has a lot of storage space. There are also those space bags that you can use if you want.  I have some sweatshirts in those, mainly ones that I don't wear much anymore but would not throw away because they have high school, college, and sorority logos.
    now i know how Nancy Kerrigan felt. that's insight into SCARY ISLAND. you have no clue what really went down.
  • kipnuskipnus
    Ancient Membership 100 Comments 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I keep my sweaters or sundresses folded in a basket on my closet shelf, depending on the season.
  • I never used to...but since being married and moving into a house with limited closet space....I've started.  Especially since our closet hasn't really been redone yet - its one single bar with top shelf and not very efficient.  I put a small bookshelf in there, but it hasn't helped much.

Hubby and I split the closet bar and our single dresser. Right now, I have spring/summer things in all my drawers and closet. I have sweaters/scarves in a basket on the top shelf in the closet and have already had to cheat and go in there twice. =)

I agree it is a hassle, but the only way I see around it is to create more storage in the bedroom (better closet system, dual-purpose furniture, etc), or get rid of some items you dont wear.

• I never used to either but my closet is small.  I now swap out my clothes twice a year.  Luckily I have a lot of storage space in a spare bedroom closet.
  • image kipnus:
    I keep my sweaters or sundresses folded in a basket on my closet shelf, depending on the season.

Why you keep your sweaters

• Yes I switch out fall & in the spring, keeping some transition stuff until about late May.  I put it either under the bed in those under bed bags or I use a few drawers from my dresser.  I do donate some stuff if I realize I never wore it that year or maybe the past 2 years.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers