Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Basement smoke smell

My DH and I just moved into our first house. We love it! One thing we have run into is that our basement smells like smoke. I think the previous owners smoked just in the basement. Any suggestions on getting out the smell?
Anniversary

Re: Basement smoke smell

• image Nest Cayla:
    oh no! is the basement finished? If it is, and there are rugs for the flooring I would start with cleaning the rugs! You'd be amazed at how much improvement you can make on the smell of a room if you clean the rug!

No, it is unfinished.  I think the smell is in the insulation. 

Anniversary
  • is there a drop ceiling? replace it, paint? repaint it...since it's not finished but it is insulated, you could finish it...but i'd be worried the smell would permeate and that would be a waste. You could always remove the insulation and put new insulation in yourself (really not too hard depending on size of the basement)...or remove insulation then get a home energy audit for new insulation

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

• Totally agree with you, the smell is in the insulation