May 2012 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

So... Mya the puppy is here!

As most of you saw on FB, we got our puppy, and ended up naming her Mya!

Shes been super mellow, and Delilah doesn't even phase her at all! So we've been feeling blessed at how well they are doing adjusting to one another.

The only bad thing is that she will cry for what seems like an eternity if we have her in her crate at night... I hope she will adjust soon, because its heartbreaking, and making me nervous at the same time that she will never be able to be crated..

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for us?? 

Re: So... Mya the puppy is here!

• YAY!! I'm glad she's doing so well!

I know how hard it is to hear her whine at night but stay strong otherwise she'll never learn and will think she can whine to get what she wants (kind of like a kid)!

Is the crate in your room? If not she might be feeling isolated. Does she have something to snuggle with? A stuffed animal and blanket will help. Make sure to give her lots of praise and a treat when she goes into her crate. This was the trick with Boomer. He's highly food motivated so he loves his crate because he knows it equals food! If you tell him crate he bolts for it! Make sure to tire her out too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

imageimage

• Also, an idea that my parents always thought worked well:

Wear a t-shirt to bed (preferably one that would also fit your H) then the next night have your H wear it to bed...then put this in her crate so she has your scent with her at all time (since I'm assuming you're crating her when you're out of the house as well)

I agree with bpphoto too about putting the crate in your bedroom. She's just been separate from her mother and siblings, so she needs to know she's not alone.

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• I remember when we took our puppy home and he whined ALL night. He was like 4 pounds and tiny so I kept him in a box next to my side of the bed with a cozy blanket and a stuffed animal. He would whine to get out but you have to ignore it and he will eventually get tired and go back to sleep. But you do have to let a puppy out a few times a night. They're bladders are of course small so they can?t hold it as long as an adult dog.

But the whining thing was really hard for me. I would cry in the middle of the night some nights thinking this stage will never end! But it WILL. And then you'll miss them being that little :( It will only last a few weeks or so.

But when you take her out to go potty, take her out and wait as long as you have to till she goes potty and then a quick praise and kiss and back to bed. Don?t play with her because that is probably what she will want to do. When you put her back to bed she will whine because she thinks its play time but you have to ignore it. You WILL lose sleep with a puppy LOL but it will pass :) and it?s worth it :)

Baby Foster Due March 12, 2014 It's a BOY!

BabyFetus Ticker image

Engaged 12-12-10 Married 5-12-12 Baby 3-12-14

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

• Oh! I also HIGHLY recommend an obedience class! We did ours at Petsmart. And he was SOO smart and learned SO quickly! And it?s good for them to socialize with other dogs so they don?t get too aggressive. Its also great bonding time together. You will learn so much and so will your puppy!

Baby Foster Due March 12, 2014 It's a BOY!

BabyFetus Ticker image

Engaged 12-12-10 Married 5-12-12 Baby 3-12-14

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

• Thanks ladies.. we will have to try putting the crate in our room.. I just don't want to prolong this crate crying by putting her in our room, then moving it out in a week or so, and then she starts crying again.. 

H is letting her out at night, and keeping her calm so that she doesn't think its time to play, but of course she still cries for awhile after her potty break.

Im hoping she is getting more used to it today, and tomorrow (H is home for most of the day this week - he made all his appointments at night to ease her into crating only at night right now)

We did give her a rag that smelled like us - and I don't think she really cared for it.. at least she was still crying last night when it was in there.  

I think I'm just a naturally nervous person, so I feel like this stage is going to last forever, but H has been over the top wonderful with her and patient, so I am SO thankful for him! 

ETA: Also... she is pooping in her crate - we've adjusted it to be small enough for her - and she is still pooping in it.. how do we teach her not to do that?

We let her out - she poops outside... and an hour later she has pooped in it again.. 

• Ahh...crate training. Lilly isn't crate trained because of prior abuse issues, but my old roommate went through this and it is so hard. I'd recommend everything above. In terms of crate pooping--it is kind of a stage. It may be hard now, but keep up the potty training ritual--reward her for going outside and don't make a big deal about it when she does it inside because to a puppy, any attention is good attention! Good luck parenting your new baby! 
  • image MrsSheeler518:

ETA: Also... she is pooping in her crate - we've adjusted it to be small enough for her - and she is still pooping in it.. how do we teach her not to do that?

We let her out - she poops outside... and an hour later she has pooped in it again.. 

If she's pooping in her crate it's still too big for her. She should only have enough room to turn around/lay down.

I also agree to start her with obedience ASAP, even if it's only a puppy kindergarten class.

imageimage

• We would love to do puppy training classes, but we live in a really small town, and the closest class is about an hour or so away - which we can't do with full time jobs... shes been so great with not pooping in the house, just her crate.. and she isn't peeing in her crate either... I am going to have to think of something else to train her not to do that.

I bought neutralizing odor cleaner today that is safe for pets - so maybe if she doesn't smell it in her crate anymore with no ammonia, that will help - here is to hoping! 

• Yay!  I like Mya!  You have to post a picture!

The crying is horrible...I know.  I think I would just keep doing what your doing and wait for her to grow out of it. 

For the pooping in the crate...it would suck but you could try putting her out every hour, or at least 1 hour after she goes in the crate. 

[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3d6f8d] My Ovulation Chart[/url]
  • image bpphoto785:
    image MrsSheeler518:

If she's pooping in her crate it's still too big for her. She should only have enough room to turn around/lay down.

I also agree to start her with obedience ASAP, even if it's only a puppy kindergarten class.

I don't agree with the bolded, but only because she's a puppy.  I'm gathering she's not house trained yet, so she hasn't learned to ask to go outside?  When Clyde was a puppy I immediately went to crate training and she was WAY too small for her crate but the only time she pottied in there was because she was still learning and being potty trained.  At night when she would whine, I would take her outside, but only to potty, then immediately put her back in her crate and I went back to bed.  Once she was old enough to hold her potty through the night she didn't have any more crate accidents unless she was sick.

You can't really punish them for something you find after the fact.  If you catch her in the act of peeing on the floor, pick her up and quick as you can and run her outside.  While outside you can use whatever commands you're using to potty-train her "go potty" or whatever.  Then reward her for pottying outside.

I think you're doing the right thing, it just takes time.  If it makes you feel any better, dogs quit crying at night WAY faster than babies.  lol  I got Clyde as a puppy at the beginning of summer break at school and pretty much as soon as school started back in the fall she was crate trained (she LOVES her crate, even still 7 years later) potty trained and sleeping through the night without whining.

If she's a hunting dog, she'll probably go through a hunting training course for whatever your DH hunts.  So the Petsmart classes will probably not be necessary, but they certainly won't hurt.  You can also socialize your dog other ways, too.

Having a puppy is so much fun!  :)  Good luck with your new fur baby :)

• Congrats on the puppy and Mya is a very pretty name :)    I am very pro Petsmart training but I do work at one...haha....but in all seriousness..it does work..and makes a big difference.

Ironically my brother is having pooping in crate issues with his 4 1/2 month old white shep puppy...and she  almost can't turn around in her crate (its my dogs old one)...so its def. not too big and she poops in it if they leave to go somewhere....otherwise she doesnt...so her's has become a behavior/ acting out issue...and the longest she left alone is 3 hrs while his fiance in class...otherwise someone is home.

But good luck and just keep reawarding her when she does good...keep it positive :)

• We don't have any pets so no tips or tricks from me...although what other people said does make sense!  Although I have little to no experience with training dogs so I have no clue either way, haha.

I just wanted to say that your puppy is super cute and reminds me of the dog we had when I was a kid =]  Good luck with the training!

photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • I think the advice the ladies are giving are all great.  We have two labs and when we brought home the "twins" it was awful.  Literally, wondered if we were ALL going to survive.  The puppy stage is so fun and yet soooo hard too.  We really didn't crate our labs too much after they were one.  I don't know that there is a trick to the potty and poop in the crate.  I think they just have to eventually figure out that this is their sleeping space and they don't want to do that.  We had a few "accidents" in the crates too and it can be so frustrating.  You feel like you are doing nothing right to make it better.  But you are. 

The best advice I can give, is to give tons of praise when Mya does what you want her to do.  Keep mini treats around you all the time and when she goes potty outside, reward.  When she sits, heals, comes whenever you ask her too, treat.  Our labs were very reward oriented and food was the best way for them.  Also lots and lots of toys.  I think our entire living room floor for the first couple years was nothing but dog toys.  But I only lost one pair of shoes, so I count it as a win!

GL with Mya....