Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

funky smell

I'm in the process of going through my husbands stuff to put things away after we have combined our households. Some of the things that were stored in plastic totes in the basement have a funky smell to them. Unfortunately it stuff that can't go into the washer like camera bag, messenger bags, etc. We have an attached garage & I was planning on putting the containers out there open to help air them out.

Any suggestions on a good way to get rid of the smell would be appreciated. Also does anyone know if putting cedar balls or squares into the containers will help with smells?

Re: funky smell

• Define "funky."

Plastiicky smell? Mildewy smell? Wet dog smell?

• Unless it's made of leather, I'd throw it in the washer on a gentle cycle. Then, I'd let it air dry.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! image PitaPata Cat tickers image
  • image PurrBox:
    Unless it's made of leather, I'd throw it in the washer on a gentle cycle. Then, I'd let it air dry.

This.

But, if you really cannot wash them maybe try febreeze??

BFP: July 2012 / 2nd Trimester Loss: October 2012 / D&C: November 2012
    Benched, waiting on RPL testing.

• It's more of a mildew smell. The basement his things were stored in had flooding issues at one point & I washed the blankets & stuff but the other stuff didn't have a smell at that time. But now after being in a plastic bin for some time, it's gotten a mildew smell.

I'll try the fabreeze out in the garage so I don't torture our poor dogs with a fabreeze overdose. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works and I will also try then putting anything fabric into the washing machine. I hate stuff that has a bad smell to it.

Thanks!

• image Erikan73:

It's more of a mildew smell. The basement his things were stored in had flooding issues at one point & I washed the blankets & stuff but the other stuff didn't have a smell at that time. But now after being in a plastic bin for some time, it's gotten a mildew smell.

I'll try the fabreeze out in the garage so I don't torture our poor dogs with a fabreeze overdose. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works and I will also try then putting anything fabric into the washing machine. I hate stuff that has a bad smell to it.

Thanks!

Ahhh.. if that's the case (mildew smell) I'd throw a hefty amount of vinegar into the washing machine with the stinky fabric stuff. I've found vinegar works wonders in getting mildew stank out!

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! image PitaPata Cat tickers image
  • A little trick I learned from Tupperware when things get funky smelling is to seal them into a container with a bunch of crumpled up newspaper and leave it sit for several days. Good luck!
  • Another trick is to put dryer sheets into the plastic bins before you store them up.  One sheet is sufficient for a large bin.  For the smaller bins, cut them in half.

• Thanks ladies! I'm going to try the vinegar trick for washing & then put dryer sheets in the containers afterwards to help keep things fresh. I love the boards here, everyone is so helpful.
  • Baking soda is also helpful. I put baking soda into my towel load because the towels get mildewy sometimes.