Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Homemade cleaning supplies

I've heard and read on Pinterest (an other places) about using homemade cleaning supplies (i.e. laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner, etc), and that they save you money in the long-run.

If you use homemade cleaning supplies -  

What homemade cleaning supplies do you use? 

Which recipes (since there's ton out there) do you find work best? 

Do you think it saves you money?

Anniversary

TTC since June 2012

Re: Homemade cleaning supplies

• This isn't really a homemade cleaner, but I have found (thanks to pinterest) that a little dawn liquid dish washing soap mixed with water is the best shower cleaner. Plus, I feel so much better using it vs. harsh cleaners.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! image PitaPata Cat tickers image
  • I'm all about homemade/non toxic cleaning (bleach and other strong cleaners have always given me terrible headaches/nausea). My two go-to cleaners are:

-White vinegar - I use this as my 'all purpose' for almost everything. I mix a 1/2 and 1/2 solution with water in a squirt bottle and use for kitchen counters, the stove, even my stainless appliances also bathroom counters, window cleaner etc. I use the same solution with my mop as a floor cleaner.  I also use vinegar in my dishwasher as the 'rinse aid' and my dishes are spot-free, plus my dishwasher gets a little extra cleaning action which is great. Another use is in the laundry, I'll add a little vinegar in my washer's 'fabric softener' compartment and it helps keep fabrics soft as well as getting out any funky smells (like work out gear, etc.). Another great trick is putting vinegar in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave for 1 minute or so, letting it set and then wiping the microwave clean. Seriously it does everything! 

-Baking soda - another multi-purpose. I use this with a little warm water as a scrub for things like the stove top, oven, or dried-on counter messes. I also use baking soda mixed with a little vinegar in my toilet, get's it sparkling (and we have hard water, which if you have it you may know is a big pain with leaving stains). I occasionally use baking soda in the wash as well, as a little boost for super grubby loads (like after a lot of outside work when our clothes are muddy and such). 

For a shower cleaner - as the above poster mentioned, dish soap is a great shower cleaner. I mix a few squirts of mine in with a 2-part solution of warm water and vinegar, this is great for getting rid of soap scum.

Another solution I've had to use on occasion for clogged drains is pouring 1c baking soda down the drain, followed by 1c vinegar (this will fizz up like crazy). When it's done fizzing follow with boiling-hot water. 

As an aside, you definitely need to get used to the smell of vinegar if you plan to use it but this doesn't bother me. I sometimes mix in a little lemon juice or a favorite essential oil to aid in making the smell more pleasant. Like any cleaning product, once dry you don't smell the vinegar any longer. Happy cleaning :) 

To add - yes it definitely saves money! About once every 3 months I buy a large bottle of vinegar and a big box of baking soda and I'm good to go, in total these items are costing me maybe $5.  

• Whitney, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Saving this. Thanks!
  • Thanks Whitney!
    Anniversary

TTC since June 2012

• I sometimes use baking soda and water to clean the stovetop. It works the best in my opinion.
  • Just wanted to add that I love using rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (use it on granite counters because vinegar isn't good for granite).