Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Disgusting washing machine HELP!

Ok I am at the end of my rope with my washing machine. I've tried running an empty warm water cycle with vinegar, using vinegar on a rag and wiping down the rubber seal and have also tried the Tide cleaning packets. None of it has helped whatsoever.

My front loading  washing machine stinks horribly and the rubber seal in the front is filthy. No amount of scrubbing or wiping seems to get it clean. I need a miracle or some sort of miracle product at this point and I'm hoping one of you can help!

Photobucket Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Disgusting washing machine HELP!

• I've started noticing that smell on mine too. I've got a few ideas that I'm going to try. I'll let know what ends up working the best.
  • You probably have a mildew/mold problem.

Bleach is probably the only thing that will work to kill it.

You can run a clean cycle with hot water and bleach in it. be sure to read about the correct slot to pour the bleach.

Let it air dry. Be sure to do your new first load of clothing as white-only just in case any residual bleach is left in side.

Always leave the washer's door open once washing is done for it to dry out completely.

This is a highly common problem with front loaders. It sucks! I know!

• I would also recommend running a bleach cycle. If I ever forget a load in there it tends to get pretty icky. So I will wipe down all of the surfaces with a cloth containing diluted bleach and then do a load of whites. Completely takes care of the issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• image MommyLiberty5013:

You probably have a mildew/mold problem.

Bleach is probably the only thing that will work to kill it.

You can run a clean cycle with hot water and bleach in it. be sure to read about the correct slot to pour the bleach.

Let it air dry. Be sure to do your new first load of clothing as white-only just in case any residual bleach is left in side.

Always leave the washer's door open once washing is done for it to dry out completely.

This is a highly common problem with front loaders. It sucks! I know!

All of this.

BFP: July 2012 / 2nd Trimester Loss: October 2012 / D&C: November 2012
    Benched, waiting on RPL testing.

• Thanks for the responses everyone! I ran a bleach cycle, then a vinegar cycle and also cleaned out the rubber gasket with diluted bleach. My washer no longer stinks! Keeping the doors open isn't really an option for me, since it's in a closet and my son is constantly trying to climb into it but I'm going to be more diligent about wiping down the gasket since that seems to be the nastiest part!
    Photobucket Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Recently, the rubber gasket on our front loader machine cracked. We had to replace it since water was pouring onto our floor. It is not a very cost-friendly solution, but it would get rid of the mold. See what the replacement cost is for your model and see if replacing it is better than cleaning and not getting good results?Good luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers