Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

WIJFR: Dark Places (spoilers)

I just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and I have to say I really liked it. I'm always a fan of books that tell the story through more than one character's perspective, so I really liked that it switched back and forth from present to past and between characters.

While reading, I developed two theories as to who really committed the murders. My first thought was that Patty Day set it up to leave a better future for her kids. I thought she might have arranged it with someone, but I couldn't figure out why she would have Debby and Michelle killed, too. I could understand her arranging to have herself killed so the insurance money would go to the kids, but I couldn't explain Debby and Michelle.

My other theory was that Diondra and Trey did it. I suspected that there was something going on between them and that he might actually be the father of her baby. I had this idea that they used Ben to get money from his mom. When they couldn't get anything, they went crazy and killed everyone but left Ben to take the fall for it.

I was pleased to see that part of my theories were true. Patty did arrange for her murder, and Diondra killed Michelle. The twist with the Angel of Debt was good, too. I liked that he was only mentioned briefly, which wasn't enough to put him in my mind as a possible theory.

The book was dark and twisted, but I like books like that. I'll definitely be reading other Gillian Flynn books.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image

Re: WIJFR: Dark Places (spoilers)

• I am glad you liked it!  I am seriously in love with GF. Her writing is amazing.

Hoycie just had me read The Weight of Silence. If you like books told from different perspectives you would probably really like that one! 

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • image myJunegirls:

I am glad you liked it!  I am seriously in love with GF. Her writing is amazing.

Hoycie just had me read The Weight of Silence. If you like books told from different perspectives you would probably really like that one! 

::Thumbs up::

Joyce's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I finally just finished this. I really thought at first that Libby somehow had something to do with the murders and I thought how sick is that. Thankfully that was wrong. I liked the different perspectives. Watching the movie I started to notice all the clues, I completely forgot about the die in debt killer. I thought it was interesting to have 2 killers as well.
  • Have any of you seen the movie version?  I watched it a while back and thought it was decently done, but not spectacular.  It wasn't my favorite GF book to begin with, so maybe that made me less inclined to love the movie.
    image image image
  • Have any of you seen the movie version?  I watched it a while back and thought it was decently done, but not spectacular.  It wasn't my favorite GF book to begin with, so maybe that made me less inclined to love the movie.
    I don't remember the movie coming out in the theater, so I went into it with lower expectations. I always have trouble with casting, but I didn't like Diondra, I had a completely different picture of her in my head. I think I liked Gone Girl the movie a little better. I haven't read Sharp Objects yet so I don't have that to compare.
  • I have to say, Gillian Flynn is one of the only writers who can create characters that I absolutely hate, and hate so much that I need to keep reading so that I can see what happens to them.  As in, usually when I actively dislike a character I just don't care what happens to them.  GF somehow overcomes that dislike = apathy barrier into hate = needs to know all of the things.
    I don't remember the movie coming out in the theater, so I went into it with lower expectations. I always have trouble with casting, but I didn't like Diondra, I had a completely different picture of her in my head. I think I liked Gone Girl the movie a little better. I haven't read Sharp Objects yet so I don't have that to compare.
    You'll have to let us know when you read Sharp Objects - it's my favorite of the three!
    image image image