Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How do you organize your important papers?

Hi I have a question I don't know how to organize our important papers. What are your techniques or how do you organize those papers?

Re: How do you organize your important papers?

• Black Letter/Legal Size File Box ? 2 Pack

We have something like this that we put all our bill and important papers in.  We would like to get a fire safe one to put really important papers in like our  marriage certificate, SS cards, ect. But for now, we just use this.

• I have 2 sets. I have the originals of things like our marriage certificate, vehicle titles, birth certificates, etc in a "go binder" so that in case anything ever happens (fire, flood, evacuation) I have them ready immediately. I have also scanned them with the images printed & saved on a flash drive. Sounds like a lot, but it's worth it for the peace of mind for me.

The "household" papers for bills, retirement, etc are filed in a portable file holder. and organized according to David Bach's plan outlined in Smart Couples Finish Rich.

image File box

Hope guides me... I became Mrs. Robinson on 11/8/2008 Tattooed Books Button
  • LOVE the idea of a 'go' binder and flash drive.

i need to do this.

• image loreleimarsh:

image File box

I have a filer like this one in my office.  It's near the door so I can grab and go in an emergency.  

Maleficent Makes a Baby
    Formerly Jinxed8602
    TTC #1
  • These are great ideas.  We just have everything in a filing cabinet along with all of our other bills.  Separated into sep folders of course, but these little things for those special documents are a great idea.  Oh yeah, My husband has always keps ALL of his bills for the past 3 years.. ALL OF THEM, is that what we are supposed to do?  I mean, he has check books from like 10 years ago too.. 
  • image loreleimarsh:

image File box

this.

BFP: July 2012 / 2nd Trimester Loss: October 2012 / D&C: November 2012
    Benched, waiting on RPL testing.

• We have a file cabinet in our basement where we keep tax returns, official documents like my professional license, etc.

I keep my school materials in folders.

now i know how Nancy Kerrigan felt. that's insight into SCARY ISLAND. you have no clue what really went down.
  • I basically have this.  Not this exact one but something very similar.

My husband, before we were married, used a plastic accordion binder. And then of course, there's full on filing cabinets.  It all depends on how much paperwork you have.