Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Can we talk about this?

My FB feed is blowing up with the YouTube video about the Sandy Hook conspiracy.  Snopes confirms that there is a mixture of true and false statements about it all.  Of course there are plenty of other youtube vids that attempt to debunk the rumors and make it all out to look like anyone that thinks this never happened is insane. Watch it and tell me your thoughts.  I've had like 20 people share this thing so far and I can't help but maintain a puzzled look on my face.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Can we talk about this?

• I have seen people sharing this video also, but it's the crazy people on FB so I haven't really given it much notice. I don't really have an opinion about since I haven't watched it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • C watched it last night and caught a very small tidbit of it. The part I did catch makes you wonder. If is was a hoax I am glad the video came out and if its not then I am very sad for the person who made it. However, if it wasn't hoax you would think some of the parents would be stepping up saying the video is a lie and it really did happen.
    Shop my ThirtyOne Site anytime 24/7 www.mythirtyone.com/116821
  • I haven't seen anything about this but I'll have to watch when I get home. I'm intrigued. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I just watched the first 10 minutes. The thing that stood out to me was the dad, Robbie, whose daughter Emilie died in the shootings. His press conference looked really suspicious... he DID look like an actor starting to play a part and the fact that he was laughing and smiling saying, "are we ready to start (the conference)?" is super weird. 
  • I think believing this is an elaborate hoax to take away your guns is BSC without question. The parents shouldn't have to continually defend their dead kids. 
  • image BlinkingLight1:
    I just watched the first 10 minutes. The thing that stood out to me was the dad, Robbie, whose daughter Emilie died in the shootings. His press conference looked really suspicious... he DID look like an actor starting to play a part and the fact that he was laughing and smiling saying, "are we ready to start (the conference)?" is super weird. 

This was the part that stood out to me as the most normal.  I think we too often judge grieving people and their actions/reactions/responses. After S died, I don't think I behaved like people expected a grieving widow to act, but that's what it was. I also think that people behave differently in public and in private after the loss of a loved one. 

The websites being set up before the shooting is interesting though.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image ShansBride:

image BlinkingLight1:
    I just watched the first 10 minutes. The thing that stood out to me was the dad, Robbie, whose daughter Emilie died in the shootings. His press conference looked really suspicious... he DID look like an actor starting to play a part and the fact that he was laughing and smiling saying, "are we ready to start (the conference)?" is super weird. 

This was the part that stood out to me as the most normal.  I think we too often judge grieving people and their actions/reactions/responses. After S died, I don't think I behaved like people expected a grieving widow to act, but that's what it was. I also think that people behave differently in public and in private after the loss of a loved one. 

I think you are very right.
  • image ShansBride:

image BlinkingLight1:

The websites being set up before the shooting is interesting though.  

I think you are very right.
  • Yeah, I'm definitely not up for judging how a grieving parent acts as not sad enough. I know that when each of my parents died, those few moments of laughter and distraction from what we were really dealing with were practically all that got me through it. 
  • Okay, so aside from the grieving parents...what about everything else?  The pages that were created day(s) early?  No medical tents set up around the school?  Blocking the entry/exit so that medical personnel wasn't accessing the area?  The people running from the school?  Should officials have to explain these things?  And the medical examiner saying that the AR was the primary weapon used hen it was sitting in Adam Lanza's trunk the entire time.  Or that there were four hand guns?  I'm just tryin to provoke discussion, not argue that it's definitely a conspiracy, FTR.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I really think it's sad that these innocent lives that have been taken are trying to be made out as a hoax. I don't fault any parent for how they grieve. The father could have felt guilty for not being in a certain state of grief so he acted out. I remember breaking out in a fake cry when my mom told me my dad was dead. I didn't have time to process it, but knew that was the reaction I should have. And the clip of the mom smiling with Anderson, they could have been talking about happy moments with their child.

On the other hand, the Internet sites made in advance really make me question things. And the picture of the little girl in the dress. Possibly a hand me down that the little sister was wearing? I don't know. Those things are very questionable.

I've taken on so much grief with the shooting. It brought back a little bit of PPD. I finally started feeling better once I decided I couldn't listen to anything Sandy Hook related, and now my stomach is in knots again.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BoyMom21:
    Okay, so aside from the grieving parents...what about everything else?  The pages that were created day(s) early?  No medical tents set up around the school?  Blocking the entry/exit so that medical personnel wasn't accessing the area?  The people running from the school?  Should officials have to explain these things?  And the medical examiner saying that the AR was the primary weapon used hen it was sitting in Adam Lanza's trunk the entire time.  Or that there were four hand guns?  I'm just tryin to provoke discussion, not argue that it's definitely a conspiracy, FTR.

I suspect most of this is flat out false.  Anyone can put things on the internet. I don't think officials have to respond to every completely ridiculous accusation, no. 

I also wouldn't put any stock into accuracy of information in preliminary reports if the final ME reports are not released since those usually come a couple of months later. 

• Ok, well I'm just saying I did drama for many years and taught it several years ago. The way he was "himself" and then paused and "got into character" looked like something a performer would do. 

I'm not saying I believe any of this to be a conspiracy, I'm just saying that whole section made me go, "hmmm..." 

• image BlinkingLight1:

Ok, well I'm just saying I did drama for many years and taught it several years ago. The way he was "himself" and then paused and "got into character" looked like something a performer would do. 

I'm not saying I believe any of this to be a conspiracy, I'm just saying that whole section made me go, "hmmm..." 

And I think all we're saying is that it's gross to judge a person's reaction just after their child was shot. This actually blows my mind on several levels, but I think it's best I don't get into them here.
  • I don't know what it's like to lose a child, so you're right I shouldn't judge how he acts. 
  • I'm thinking....it could also be what you seeing as him getting into character could really be him gathering himself and his wits to try and get through the [email protected] thing, you know what I mean? I could see myself sort of doing that as a way to not go completely to pieces, but looking pretty strange/off/whatever. What a struggle that would be. I wonder too if people are starting the whole conspiracy thing as a way to try and disassociate themselves from the randomness of it. That's the only thing I can come up with on that.
  • image pineneedles:
    I'm thinking....it could also be what you seeing as him getting into character could really be him gathering himself and his wits to try and get through the [email protected] thing, you know what I mean? I could see myself sort of doing that as a way to not go completely to pieces, but looking pretty strange/off/whatever. What a struggle that would be. I wonder too if people are starting the whole conspiracy thing as a way to try and disassociate themselves from the randomness of it. That's the only thing I can come up with on that.

I agree with this.

Frankly, I am horrified that people think this whole event was a falsity. There were no medical tents because almost everyone that was shot DIED. There was no need to set the tents up, no need for paramedics or anyone else to go into the building once it was determined that there were no survivors. Nurses went to the school to volunteer their time doing triage, only to be told there was nothing for them to do there. Imagine their horror at realizing just WHY their help was unnecessary.

And Facebook pages, both real and fake, pop up almost immediately after events like this happen. And if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, coming from a social media professional... if a Facebook page has less than 100 followers, you can change the name and everything about it. So it is HIGHLY likely that some Facebook pages were already created, and when this happened, those people changed the name of their pages to something about this tragedy.

No one should judge how a person acts when their child is shot. I agree with pineneedles that he was likely preparing himself for the conversations he was about to have regarding his murdered six-year-old.

I'm so disgusted by everything about this, and the fact that people are giving credit to this loser sitting in a basement playing with video on his computer. It's like the "truthers" going around saying the 9/11 tragedy was all a big set-up. Sickening. People should be ashamed of themselves for poking at the raw wounds of all the people who were affected by this tragedy.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • image gingerfeathers:

image pineneedles:
    I'm thinking....it could also be what you seeing as him getting into character could really be him gathering himself and his wits to try and get through the [email protected] thing, you know what I mean? I could see myself sort of doing that as a way to not go completely to pieces, but looking pretty strange/off/whatever. What a struggle that would be. I wonder too if people are starting the whole conspiracy thing as a way to try and disassociate themselves from the randomness of it. That's the only thing I can come up with on that.

I agree with this.

Frankly, I am horrified that people think this whole event was a falsity. There were no medical tents because almost everyone that was shot DIED. There was no need to set the tents up, no need for paramedics or anyone else to go into the building once it was determined that there were no survivors. Nurses went to the school to volunteer their time doing triage, only to be told there was nothing for them to do there. Imagine their horror at realizing just WHY their help was unnecessary.

And Facebook pages, both real and fake, pop up almost immediately after events like this happen. And if you want to get into the nitty gritty of it, coming from a social media professional... if a Facebook page has less than 100 followers, you can change the name and everything about it. So it is HIGHLY likely that some Facebook pages were already created, and when this happened, those people changed the name of their pages to something about this tragedy.

No one should judge how a person acts when their child is shot. I agree with pineneedles that he was likely preparing himself for the conversations he was about to have regarding his murdered six-year-old.

I'm so disgusted by everything about this, and the fact that people are giving credit to this loser sitting in a basement playing with video on his computer. It's like the "truthers" going around saying the 9/11 tragedy was all a big set-up. Sickening. People should be ashamed of themselves for poking at the raw wounds of all the people who were affected by this tragedy.

Exactly 

• image gingerfeathers:

image pineneedles:

I agree with this.

I couldn't agree more.

I suspect that the 24-hour news cycle is related to all of this somehow. The "need" to constantly have the first scoop, to keep coming up with new stories (regardless of truthfulness), etc.

• image 3rdOfJuly:
    image gingerfeathers:

image pineneedles:

I agree with this.

I couldn't agree more.

I suspect that the 24-hour news cycle is related to all of this somehow. The "need" to constantly have the first scoop, to keep coming up with new stories (regardless of truthfulness), etc.

I'll bet you're exactly right. And then people just blindly follow it, and then the next thing you know, this crap is viral. What just stuns me is the lack of empathy with this type of thing...it seems almost inhumane to me.