Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Shower cleaning questions

We have a glass stall shower that is rough for us to clean. Having very hard water, and not often cleaning the glass doors, they tend to get stuck on water spots and I can never get them completely clean. What should I use? We are thinking about getting a softener/filter on the house. Is there one for just the shower head? I am willing to clean the doors more, even after every shower, I'm just not sure what I should be doing. 

Also, the built-in shelves get residue from the bottles and the soap. Any advice on what to cover them with? I am temporarily using aluminum foil because I scrubbed them and want them to stay nice but H doesn't like the look and wants to think of something else.  

Thanks! 

Re: Shower cleaning questions

• I would try a mixture of vinegar and water on the glass doors.  Once you get them really clean put a small squeegee in the shower.  When you are done showering you can squeegee the door.  That really the only way Iv'e found to keep them clean in the long term. 

I don't have any ideas on the shelves.  I have them too and I just wipe them down 1-2X a week when I'm actually taking a shower so they don't get bad.   

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Try using a lemon. The acid is great from removing hard water. Start using a daily shower spray; you can buy it pretty cheaply or make your own. Or if you know you're not going to keep it up get an automatic one that hangs on the shower head. And yes, there are shower heads with filters available.

As far as the shelves, rinse bottles before putting them back on the shelves if you spill when using them, use a soap dish to keep bar soap from leaving residue directly on the shelf, and don't set metal bottom cans directly on the shelves to prevent rust. I'm not sure why you would need to cover them with anything.

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!
  • You can buy water filters for just showerheads. Not sure what cost is, it's been about 3 years since I priced it out but it's got to be cheaper then full house filter.
  • Thanks for the advice! I've heard about using vinegar and water on things before so I'll have to try that. I just put a soap dish there so I think that'll be a huge help. And I definitely do have to look into filters and softeners. 
  • I've used Mr Clean Magic Eraser in the past with success.  I wiped it with the eraser and then dried it off with a microfiber cloth after and it worked well.
  • Mixture of vinegar and water,

good one in this regard...work very well. 

• I keep a good grips dishwand in my shower filled with half vinegar and half dish soap. The scour pad works great at cleaning our shelves ( we have hard water too). I get in the shower run the water wash my hair, put in conditioner and scrub te shower with the scrubby dish wand while I let the condition work it's magic on my hair.  I haven't had any mineral build up since I started doing this. I do i about every other day.

Good luck!

• Kaboom spray works pretty well for me.
  • I did this yesterday and it worked really well: Fill a spray bottle with half dawn dish soap and half vinegar. Spray onto the shower and scrub with a brush used to wash dishes (they have them at the dollar store) and rinse with hot water. Just keep spraying and scrubbing and it should cut through the build up! Hope it works as well for you as it did for me! :)
  • image ashleannepotter:
    I did this yesterday and it worked really well: Fill a spray bottle with half dawn dish soap and half vinegar. Spray onto the shower and scrub with a brush used to wash dishes (they have them at the dollar store) and rinse with hot water. Just keep spraying and scrubbing and it should cut through the build up! Hope it works as well for you as it did for me! :)

THIS works wonders!!!  I had the same problems and I started doing this, AND I keep a squeegie in my shower now, and when I am finished with my shower, I squeegie the doors.  works great!!!! :) Just need to do this like once a week with the dawn/vinegar.  I did this over a month ago and no more hard water marks!!!!  ;)