Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Smoke smell out of car

Hi all. Been a while since I've been here. Hoping someone can help me out. We purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee back in October. The previous owners smoked in it, and I'm having the toughest time getting the smell out. It was detailed when we bought it, which helped a little. It has leather seats, so not sure what if anything can be done about those. I try to let it air out for several hours a few times a week, but that doesn't seem to be doing much. I also febreeze the ceiling and carpet a few times a week as well. Short of replacing the ceiling like I've read online to do, anything else you can suggest I try? My dad was telling me there should be an in-cabin air filter I can change that will help, but it is nowhere to be found in the manual and DH has looked online and can't find any info on it. I'm pregnant and due in April, and the smell sometimes aggravates my allergies, so I'm wanting to try and make it fresh in there before LO arrives.
Follow Me on Pinterest
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Smoke smell out of car

• The leather shouldn't absorb the smell. It's primarily going to be the fabric areas - carpet, headboard, doors if there's any there, and the vents. Ozium works pretty well at removing odors rather than covering them. You can pick up a spray bottle at WalMart in the car section. Do it when you don't have to drive for a bit to give it time to settle and don't breath it in! 

I did a quick google search and found a lot of hits related to the cabin filter for your vehicle....looks like it's in the back of the glove box. 

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/changing-cabin-filter-26863.html 

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!
  • image blue_elle:

The leather shouldn't absorb the smell. It's primarily going to be the fabric areas - carpet, headboard, doors if there's any there, and the vents. Ozium works pretty well at removing odors rather than covering them. You can pick up a spray bottle at WalMart in the car section. Do it when you don't have to drive for a bit to give it time to settle and don't breath it in! 

I did a quick google search and found a lot of hits related to the cabin filter for your vehicle....looks like it's in the back of the glove box. 

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/changing-cabin-filter-26863.html 

Thanks! Guess DH was full of it, lol.  

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The stuff PP recommended works great. I use to use it in my car to hide the fact that I smoked. I was legal age to smoke but in college and living at home & parents wouldn't have approved.
  • The smoke remains in the leather because it sticks to the natural oils in the leather which are needed to keep the skin in good condition. Using a Febreeze or a fabric cleaner will strip the leather of the oils. The smell will go, but so will the luster and shine of the leather.

• image Erikan73:
    The stuff PP recommended works great. I use to use it in my car to hide the fact that I smoked. I was legal age to smoke but in college and living at home & parents wouldn't have approved.

LOL I did the same thing. Ozium rocks!