Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How often am i supposed to change shower curtains and living room curtains?

Re: How often am i supposed to change shower curtains and living room curtains?

• Change them as in decor, or take them off and wash them?

• Ideally I would wash shower curtains every few months, but I have a bad habit of forgetting. Fabric inner curtains have held up much longer and held off stains better than plastic for us, I assume because they breath better. 

Window curtains gets washed once a year, as well as vacuum-dusted gently with a brush attachment and Febreezed between washing. Curtains collect a lot of dust, but washing shortens the lifespan, so dusting in between is a good compromise.  

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over!
  • Are you talking plastic shower curtain liner? Or the pretty fabric part?

If I get the cheap dollar store liner, I just swap out every month or sooner if it looks scummy. If I buy a more expensive and durable line (for $10-15) I'll wash it every few weeks until it tears at one of the holes. A little bleach helps kill off any mildew.

For the fabric curtains, I've moved once a year for the past 6 or so, so things get washed before they get put up. Now that I'm thinking about it.. most of our curtains have been up for almost 2 years now... maybe they should get a washing! Ewww.. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I change my shower curtain liner a few times a year (mine comes from the Dollar Tree, so it's a pretty cheap purchase). I wash my other shower curtain every few months or so, but I haven't replaced it in quite some time. It was a more expensive shower curtain, and it is still holding up well.

We don't have curtains in our apartment, but if we did, I would replace them whenever I decided to change the decor. It would be a good idea to vacuum them periodically to remove dust.

• I typically throw out the cheap shower curtain liner every few months and get a new one from Walmart or the dollar store.  I usually also wash my shower curtain when I do this because it's such a pain to take down and I like doing it all at once.  I don't have curtains in my house, but I feel like once a year would be a good time to do it (like pp have also said).
    Love my furbaby :) Birthday

**6.30.12** I have found the one whom my soul loves.

Anniversary
  • image JoanNYC:
      this doesnt have to do with changing it but a cloth shower curtain on a regular curtain rod with the hangers works great on a window.  If large enough.  put a sheer that complements the color or design behind it so u can open it and let light in .  I had a social worker at my home once and she thought it was a wonderful idea .