Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

I should preface this post with this: I was gifted this as an audio book last year. I tried more than once to listen to it, but on my iPod where, unless it was the only thing I was listening to, I constantly lost my place. I now have the Audible app on my phone & that's making it slightly less painful.

That being said, am I going to spend the entire book going, "WTF just happened?" Nothing about the prologue & first chapter seems to line up. I'm so thoroughly confused.

Re: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

• This is a good one to read (as opposed to listen to), because you can skim through the tedious first third of the book, which has nothing to do with the plot anyway. Once you get past that super boring chunk, the story takes off. I really enjoyed all 3 in this series, but if I hadn't read so many good reviews beforehand, I probably would have put the thing down after the first couple chapters and never returned to it. 

I wrote this! 
  • Thanks. I may have to borrow it from the library. I only ever listen to books in my car or when I run, so this tedium may not be good for me, lol.
  • I put it down about 50% through I just wasn't into it, just didn't hold my interest. 

I did see the movie and liked it so I've considered reading the 2nd book 

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image alithebride:

I put it down about 50% through I just wasn't into it, just didn't hold my interest. 

I did see the movie and liked it so I've considered reading the 2nd book 

The 2nd book was the best IMO. I thought the 3rd was really boring. If I could go back, I would just read a summary of that one, but the 2nd one was worth reading. 

Sarah (sarahelisabethm)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Book 2 was my favorite, too! (But I didn't think the last one was boring.)

I wrote this! 
  • image taylormillgirl:
    This is a good one to read (as opposed to listen to), because you can skim through the tedious first third of the book, which has nothing to do with the plot anyway. Once you get past that super boring chunk, the story takes off. I really enjoyed all 3 in this series, but if I hadn't read so many good reviews beforehand, I probably would have put the thing down after the first couple chapters and never returned to it. 

Why is the 1st 1/3 there if it has nothing to do with the plot?  lol!  I have this on my kindle but stopped after a few pages.  I want to go back to reread. 

• I started and stopped that one too. I also tried audio first and quit, then went back and read it, and enjoyed it alright. I'm just now getting interested in reading the second book. Maybe read just a bit farther and then go back to the audio? 
    image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image GreenBride624:

Why is the 1st 1/3 there if it has nothing to do with the plot?  lol!  I have this on my kindle but stopped after a few pages.  I want to go back to reread. 

I think it was a little bit too detailed, but it was kind of important in building up the characters' situations for the later books.  It could definitely have been edited down some, though.  

As for the others, the third book was actually my favorite, but I really liked the "Spy vs Spy" angle to it.