Relationships

The Biggest Things Married Couples Complain About

Hey Nesties,

We're curious: What is the one thing your partner does that drives you absolutely crazy? Tell us in the comments below!

Thanks,
Nest Dani

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: The Biggest Things Married Couples Complain About

• Well its just me my hubbie and the furbaby and right now we live in a 1 bedroom apt. and I know it take some adjustment when moving in together but we have been married since august and living together since april and he still leaves the toilet seat up and it burns me up every time i go into the bathroom.....Oh and he always half cleans the kitchen
    We've been married since 08-31-12
  • He puts the garbage on the kitchen counter right next to the dang garbage can.

He constantly complains about where I keep things but refuses to put them somewhere else.

He will not look behind anything in the fridge.  He just claims whatever item he wants isn't there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • His car is a disaster. I hate it. Our kids stuff gets lost in it for months at a time.

He leaves mail all over the counter. Instead of putting it in the mail sorter 3 feet away.

He wears his work boots in the house, then denies it until I walk him over to show the black boot print on the just mopped linoleum. 

Laundry on the floor directly in front of the hamper. Seriously, two inches to the left and it would be in the flippin' hamper!

He tears apart the diaper bag, taking everything out of the pockets that I so carefully organized to be most efficient. Then says he can't find what he's looking for, only for me to have to dig in the even bigger mess he just made.

Ugh... I shouldn't have replied to this, cuz I'm just going to be angry all day!!! LOL.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly H has gotten SO much better about putting laundry in the hamper, cleaning nondishwasher safe dishes in the sink instead of leaving them and general upkeep of our apartment.

However, he still puts dirty utensils and dishes in the sink instead of the empty or dirty dishwasher.  

• It's hard to say what one thing because after reading all the previous responses, my husband does all of what you other ladies complain about except leaving the toilet seat up. If I had to say one thing... its infuriating that he doesn?t pick up after himself. I was ticked the day I found a knife on our bed and plastic wrappers on the floor of our bedroom. I asked why and all he said was to put the knife on his dresser.

• I have the same problem with my husband and his attempt to clean....anything! My mom says it will never change and I will just have to learn to accept it. Tongue Tied

• He leaves soaking wet towels in one of three places: in a heap on the floor, in a heap on the bed, or a heap on the couch. meaning there is a cold wet spot there for hours afterward. UGH! And we have enough towel hangers in the bathroom to hang SEVEN towels!!!
  • Leaving dirty dishes in the sink.  Hands down.

God bless his heart, he also thinks I'm the "Keeper of All Things".  "Have you seen my [fill in the blank]?"  "Do you know what I did with [fill in the blank]?"  "Where do we keep the [fill in the blank]?"  All the time. 

I'm laughing trying to think what would be on his list Hmm Probably that I'm a little obsessive compulsive with the cleaning and decluttering Stick out tongue

•  "Keeper of All Things".  "Have you seen my [fill in the blank]?"  "Do you know what I did with [fill in the blank]?"  "Where do we keep the [fill in the blank]?"  All the time. 

My husband does this everyday and insist that im hiding his things, so i guess my thing would be I always throw things away before I ask him if he still needs it, and he hates that i never ever put the tissue on the roll....I dont even know why I do it

We've been married since 08-31-12
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE my DH, but I seriously need to invest in disposable dishware. Every time he gets a drink of water, he will use a new cup! Every time! After I've done the dishes, I'll find like 5 cups,2 bowls, 3 spoons sitting in the sink. I ask him why he can't rinse out the cup he just used to get a drink of water, and he look at me baffled like I just asked him the square root of something! Gotta love him!
  • image Kimbus22:

He will not look behind anything in the fridge.  He just claims whatever item he wants isn't there. 

Yeppers, my H does this too.  

• DH will leave dirty clothes all over the floor, leave crumbs or dirty dishes on the table and/or counter and is always asking me where everything is. Whenever he wants/needs something, his eyes will quickly scan an area, and then without moving anything to really look, he'll insist that I'm the only one who ever knows where things are, so he expects me to find everything for him. He hates it when I move things. Sorry, but I don't like messes!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • He is addicted to his iPhone and iPad and is constantly playing with them and oblivious to the world around him.  
  • I pay all the bills. I'm your wife, not your mother! Step up and help me!
  • Mine does a lot of these things, trash left everywhere, including on the counter next to the trash, but the one things that drives me completely insane? We live in a really small 1 bedroom apt and he will take his clothes off in the living room and go take a shower and leave them there, even after walking past the laundry basket 3 or 4 times. Love him to death, but really? Why do I have to trail behind you taking care of your clothes.
  • My husband does all of these but the things that really tick me off:

We have water delivered.  He doesn't want me lifting the 5 gallon bottles but will leave them outside the door and not bring them in for several days until I get sick of seeing them there and bring them in myself. Then he notices and tells me off.

He doesn't deal with the mail. Right now he deals with the bills and stuff (no joint account and he gets paid like 10 times what I do) and for the most part they get paid on time but there's paper EVERYWHERE on the desk for like two months, then he cleans it up and it stays clean for like a day.

Oh, and I refuse to nag him about stuff because it annoys him and we both have short fuses. I ask him once then usually end up doing it myself.

• He keeps ruining pans!  Thanks for helping out in the kitchen and all? but I could almost afford a personal dish washer with all the money I have had to spend on replacing pans!

Also, he doesn't do the "self-motivating" thing.  He tends to be the type of person that waits for a solution to show up.  I want to find a solution even before it is even clear that there is a problem.  It is extremely frustrating to me that he is not a proactive person.

And the mail?. its everywhere! 

• image MichelleP0514:

Also, he doesn't do the "self-motivating" thing.  He tends to be the type of person that waits for a solution to show up.  I want to find a solution even before it is even clear that there is a problem.  It is extremely frustrating to me that he is not a proactive person.

This! All the way!

• He refuses to learn how to cook -- or at least try to cook something decent. I'm not asking for much, just one meal that he can master (and by meal, I'll take scrambled eggs and toast!) That said, I'm sure he'd say he's not so keen on me losing things, never opening my mail, leaving my shoes in the living room, and generally having a more "relaxed" approach to house-keeping than he does! He picks up my slack, I continue to cook every meal -- it works out.
  • He doesn't take enough time for himself.  I'm worried he is going to burn out.  He refuses to stop until he is forced to by circumstances beyond his control.
    Cancer sucks.
  • image heatherm27:
    He refuses to learn how to cook -- or at least try to cook something decent. I'm not asking for much, just one meal that he can master (and by meal, I'll take scrambled eggs and toast!) That said, I'm sure he'd say he's not so keen on me losing things, never opening my mail, leaving my shoes in the living room, and generally having a more "relaxed" approach to house-keeping than he does! He picks up my slack, I continue to cook every meal -- it works out.

Mine won't learn either!!! Grrrrr

• He always leaves the toilet seat up...and his aim isn't the greatest.

I end up cleaning the bathroom twice a week.

EW....

• DH does the dishes, but when it comes time to putting them he asks where they go.  Uh..you take the dishes from the location, therefore, he knows where they go!  He also takes diapers out of the diaper bag and does not replace them..this drives me nuts because one day I know I'll go to get one and there won't be any in there.  He also barricades DS's toys in the corner and in front of a closet (I stash diapers, wipes, lotion, etc in there) all of the time, after telling him to stop doing it numerous times.  To be continued....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Story of my life lol I'm too OCD about cleaning and decluttering :P
  • Two things that bother me-

1. I have a home office and my husband works in the city- he expects I should do most of the cleaning since I am at home all day- I don't mind doing most but he hardly does ANY!!! :)

2. Yesterday he demonstrated an uncanny ability to play Call of Duty Black Opps for 13 hours uninterrupted... yikes 

Me-27- DH- 38 -Moved to New York* TTC since August 2011, unexplained IF & PCOS HSG - both tubes clear Saline Ultrasound- clear SA- Normal January 2013- Started metformin 1500mg attempting micro IVF 2/8/2013 2/8/2013 Cycle- ganirelix, menopur, gonal F 3/3/2013- ER- 7 Eggs 3/4/2013- All 7 fertilize 3/8- ET
  • Wow. Starting to feel more appreciative. He cooks, he helps clean, he sucks at finances but when I tell him to transfer X dollars into our joint account it happens that day. He does laundry, keeps his clothes cleaned up, and will massage my shoulders every night if I want.

The amount of video game playing still annoys me but he's finally realized that CHORES COME FIRST. That's not an issue anymore. 

I wish he'd spend less eating out. We're talking about how his spending impacts our household savings and goals. It'll change in time. 

But overall, I'm the crazy irrational one in the relationship and I stir up most of the drama. Working on that too. :-) 

• Leaves his dirty socks all over the house.

Says he'll do the dishes, doesn't do them, then gets mad when I do them because I can't stand them anymore!

Forgets everything, all the time. Plans, what's for dinner, where his work clothes are.

And ditto on thinking I'm the "Keeper of All Things"! Except he's correct with that one, because he forgets where everything is.

ExerciseMilestone
  • Mine is horrible to leave mail laying on the kitchen table. Then when I go through it and throw it away he fusses saying he might need it. Well...don't leave it on the table, and put it in the mail bin above the table.

He likes his video games. I can't say a lot, I play some too. But I have learned that if you want him to do something and he keeps saying 'a few more minutes' offer to play the game a little while with him. Either this scares him into doing whatever it is you asked or you get to harm fictional characters and relieve some stress and then he'll go do whatever it is you asked because he's thankful you took that time. It's a win-win. :)
  • We will be watching TV or a movie in the living room, he will decide to go take a shower, and whip off his socks, leave them on the couch. Throw his sweatshirt on the ground...Ugh