Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

State Question 765

State Question No.:  765 View Full Text: PDF document  Legislative Referendum No. 362
RESOLUTION OR BILL NUMBER:HJR 1092
CITATION:Repeals Sections 2, 3 & 4 and adds new Section 6 to Article 25
SUBJECT:Repeals sections of the Constitution relating to the Department of Public Welfare, its commission and director; grants the Legislature the authority to create and direct the administration of a department to provide for public welfare
ELECTION DATE:

Next General Election, November 6, 2012 OKLA. CONST. Art. 24, ?1BALLOT TITLE:

The measure amends the Oklahoma Constitution. It abolishes the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, the Oklahoma Commission of Human Services and the position of Director of the Oklahoma Department of Human Services. These entities were created under different names by Sections 2, 3 and 4 of Article 25 of the Oklahoma Constitution and given duties and responsibilities related to the care of the aged and needy. The measure repeals these sections of the Constitution and consequently, removes the power of the Commission of Human Services to establish policy and adopt rules and regulations. Under the measure, the Legislature and the people by initiative petition retain the power to adopt legislation for these purposes. 
The measure adds a provision to the Constitution authorizing the Legislature to create a department or departments to administer and carry out laws to provide for the care of the aged and the needy. The measure also authorizes the Legislature to enact laws requiring the newly-created department or departments to perform other duties. 

Re: State Question 765

• I know our DHS system is a hot mess, but holy hell this proposition is scary. We're just going to do away with the current organization with no definition of what we're replacing it with?  And logistically, how the hell does this work?  What happens to all of the people dependent on this organization? Isn't there a way to overhaul it without scratching it and starting over?
  • image WendyToo:
    I know our DHS system is a hot mess, but holy hell this proposition is scary. We're just going to do away with the current organization with no definition of what we're replacing it with?  And logistically, how the hell does this work?  What happens to all of the people dependent on this organization? Isn't there a way to overhaul it without scratching it and starting over?
    That is where I'm confused. Huh? This seems like a pretty strong proposition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There's no doubt there are some things about DHS that need to be improved, but abolishing it all together?!?  Baffling.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image llizzyb:
    image WendyToo:
    I know our DHS system is a hot mess, but holy hell this proposition is scary. We're just going to do away with the current organization with no definition of what we're replacing it with?  And logistically, how the hell does this work?  What happens to all of the people dependent on this organization? Isn't there a way to overhaul it without scratching it and starting over?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Strong as in good or strong as in maybe excessive? 

Does anyone know how case history and records would be managed and maintained from one organization to the next or when this change would be in effect? Would we wait for new legislation to be worked out and infrastructure in place before killing the old system? If so, why not wait until the way forward is defined before seeking public approval?

• image WendyToo:

image llizzyb:
    image WendyToo:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Strong as in good or strong as in maybe excessive? 

Does anyone know how case history and records would be managed and maintained from one organization to the next or when this change would be in effect? Would we wait for new legislation to be worked out and infrastructure in place before killing the old system? If so, why not wait until the way forward is defined before seeking public approval?

Sorry for the ambiguity. Strong as in excessive.

• I would definitely like to know what their agenda is for replacing the agency and a time line. 
  • All the other questions confuse me too much to have much of an opinion, but this one is just scary.  How can you just get rid of DHS? I know the system is not working for many who need it, but what about the people who are relying on the system?  And how many jobs will this get rid of too? I think a new plan/department needs to be established before I vote yes to this. 
  • image BobKat22:
    All the other questions confuse me too much to have much of an opinion, but this one is just scary.  How can you just get rid of DHS? I know the system is not working for many who need it, but what about the people who are relying on the system?  And how many jobs will this get rid of too? I think a new plan/department needs to be established before I vote yes to this. 

I completely agree.  

• How did this bill fair in election? I didn't do much research on bills in Ok this year since we registered in Tx. This one frightens me!
    The length of a minute depends on which side of the bathroom door you are standing on! Photobucket
    What do you mean that's the wrong side? Tastes great to me!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• image mrsGilB:
    How did this bill fair in election? I didn't do much research on bills in Ok this year since we registered in Tx. This one frightens me!
    Every ballot measure was approved, including this one.