Relationships

Can't sleep

I'm an extremely light sleeper and it's very hard for me to fall asleep. My H doesn't snore at all, but if his breathing is audible I can't sleep at all. I wear earplugs every night, but sometimes I can hear him even with the earplugs, and changing positions doesn't help. Sometimes I can hear the cats breathing too. Basically any repetitive or constant sounds, no matter how quiet, keep me awake all night. Clocks ticking, water dripping, computer fans from another room, etc.

It's 5:30 am and I haven't slept at all. I have either work or school every single day, and the constant sleep deprivation is about to make me lose my s---. We don't have another room for me to sleep in and the giant beanbag we use as a sofa is impossible to sleep on. Plus there is a clock in that room anyway, and noises and lights from various electronics.

I have tried all kinds of sleep meds and none of them work for more than a few days to a week. I'm really worried about how this is going to impact my health. Is there any kind of medication I can ask for? I was thinking about Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, anything that will allow me to effing sleep.

Re: Can't sleep

• They've given me Ambien, Trazodone, I don't even remember what else. They don't work for long if they do at all. I moved five years ago and haven't seen a doctor for it yet here. When I lived by myself I could control my environment and it was less of an issue.
  • You need to find a new doctor. This level of "light" sleeping needs to be addressed. Other than that, invest the money to buy a comfortable couch for you to sleep on. You need rest, but you're going to have to take the bull by the horns in order to get it.
    Break cycle BFP on 11/6/12 after 17 cycles and a failed IUI - TTC/BFP details in bio
    Nestie Bestie with the lovely RockABye
    image image image
  • image MrsMcC.10409:
    You need to find a new doctor. This level of "light" sleeping needs to be addressed. Other than that, invest the money to buy a comfortable couch for you to sleep on. You need rest, but you're going to have to take the bull by the horns in order to get it.

Try a sleep clinic. Maybe you have a sleep disorder.

Get a full checkup. Maybe you have a medical problem that causes insomnia (I had insomnia for a full year after my thyroid problem was diagnosed) or it's a medical interaction of drugs (if you're taking any) or any one of a number of things.
  • I know it's not normal. It can't be the drugs I am taking though, because it was like this even when I wasn't taking anything. I have had two sleep studies. Damn, are they ever expensive. And what a horrible experience. If I can't fall asleep under normal circumstances then how in the hell am I supposed to sleep with all that sh-- taped to me? Anyway, they didn't find anything wrong either, except that I can't sleep. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Tuesday so I am hoping they can prescribe me some big guns. We just bought that beanbag thing a year ago and my dd loves that damn thing. Maybe like a folding cot, but then I'd still have to go around and unplug or shut down all electronics and take the battery out of the clock. Plus when my daughter is here she sleeps in that room, and I can hear HER breathing. What a nightmare. For a long time I couldn't even sleep in the same bed as anyone else, regardless if I could hear them or not, so at least that has improved.
  • The more I think about it, this has been going on my whole life. My mom said when I was a baby she would come in my room at night to check on me, and I'd be standing up in my crib just staring at the door. When I was a kid I couldn't have any noise in my room at all. When I was visitingmy aunt and uncle a few years ago my uncle was downstairs snoring, my dd was next to me breathing, and there was a dripping faucet in the bathroom. I put on my ipod because it was seriously easier to fall asleep to Lady Gaga at a high volume than with that unholy caucophany of sounds. Hmm. Maybe I should charge up my ipod. I am pretty sure there's a genetic component too because my dad used to pull lots of all-nighters, and I occasionally get really insane emails full of religiois hysyeria from jim at 3-4 am. Also, my daughter, who is 12, is now staying awake until 4 in the morning on a regular basis.
  • I know how you feel. For months now I've had issues sleeping. I didn't have trouble falling asleep but after an hour I would wake up and wouldnt be able to go back to sleep until an hour before my alarm went off. The doc gave me ambien and for two months it worked good but now im starting to notice that Im not sleeping for very long again. Also during the day if I happen to fit some time in for a nap I will just lay there, stuck in between awake and asleep. No matter how exhaused I feel I just can not fall asleep. Its a nightmare
  • U should see a psychiatrist.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Have you tried a white noise machine/fan? Soothing music?
  • I've always had on and off issues with sleeping. I found that white noise helps a lot, aka the static from our baby monitor. I have a good bit of anxiety and it tends to keep me awake at night. If I wear myself out during the day it seems to help also. I get up at 5, go to the gym, go running, get the kiddo up, clean around the house, sometimes nap in the afternoon, sometimes go to work. It seems to be better when I have kind of a schedule going on. 
  • White noise bothers me as much as everything else does. Music is probably the only thing I can sleep through. I definitely have a schedule as I have either work or school every day. I *should* be exhausted, and really I am. But even when I'm exhausted I still can't sleep sometimes.
  • I would keep trying doctors until you find one that can help you.  In the meantime, I'd sleep with my iPod on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Usually the earplugs work ok, but if they don't that would prevent me from going insane. I'll have to.load it with.some Yanni or Enya or something. I will let you all know how the appointment goes today.
  • Background noise helps us - like a rotating fan. Also have you tried sleepytime or valerian root tea before bed? Going to the doctor's or having a sleep study done is a good idea. Some people also just have to sleep in separate rooms.
  • Yes, all of those things I have tried or are not an option.
  • I know you're mad at me, but, how did your appointment go? I really do care :)
  • I'm not mad at you, I was just frustrated because I felt like I wasn't being listened to. I believe that you do care. The appointment went fine. The doctor wasn't concerned about me restarting at the same dose. I will have to do blood level checks about every three months, like always. He prescribed trazodone for sleep. It's one that I have tried before, so I'm not gung-ho about it, but honestly there are not many good options out there for long term use. I have an appointment next week with a therapist. All this is mucking up my attendance at school, which has to be at 90% or higher in order for me to graduate since it's an hours based program.
  • Glad it went well and you are getting what you need. Good luck! 
  •  Another option is elavil or Amitriptyline. It's a anti-depressant, and helps with sleep, but it of course has side effects as well and I don't know if it's an option your other meds, but I know something to ask about :)

• Something else you can try is Melatonin. It's found in the vitamin aisle at any grocery or drug store. It's what your brain naturally produces for you to sleep.
    I've had a lot of difficulties sleeping - I have depression and anxiety for which I'm not currently medicated and my husband snores. Taking Melatonin definitely helps.
    It's not a wonder drug, but it helped me more than Ambien, which just made me fall asleep at 3 AM and way too drowsy to function at 6AM when I had to get up for work/school. Try giving it a shot - what have you got to lose?