Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How fast do newborns grow out of newborn diapers?

I need to bring some diapers to my sis's baby shower but I want to get the next size up from newborn so they she'll already have a pack to start on.

But I don't know how long she'd have to wait to use them.  Is this even a good idea?

Re: How fast do newborns grow out of newborn diapers?

• No experience myself, but my friend's baby was in newborn diapers for less than a month. I would maybe buy a pack of newborn diapers and then a pack of the next two sizes up...
  • DD is four months and could still fit in NB.  DS was out of them before 2 months.

Totally depends on the baby.

• I would even go up to size 1/2 or 2's.  My little boy is not quite 3 mos. and he is in size 1/2 or 2.  The 1/2 go up to 15 pounds whereas the 2's go to 18 pounds I think.  He was out of newborn by 3 weeks and out of 1's by 6 weeks.  I know pampers you can buy gift cards online just for the diapers.  You may want to check that out as well.

• It's a good idea.  I wouldn't buy NB though, get a bigger size.  The hospital gave me all the NB I needed.  You never know how fast they'll grow.
  • image cjeanette:

DD is four months and could still fit in NB.  DS was out of them before 2 months.

Totally depends on the baby.

Ditto. My niece is 5 months and is small, only 13ish pounds, she can still wear size 2 diapers. My best friend's DD is 3 months and is almost 16 lbs.

Even if they have to wait 3 months, they'll be glad to have the larger diapers.

• Totally depends on the baby.  DD wore NBs for 6-8 weeks, 1s for 3 weeks, 1-2s for a week, and has been in 2s ever since.
  • Anyway from 6-8 weeks, but I think we used more at that time. Dh was slow so many diapers were ruined. Size 1 for 2/3 weeks, size 1/2 for 8-12 weeks and then size 2 for 3 weeks.

I would buy either NB or size 1/2, those lasted the longest. DS glossed over size 1 and 2. FWIW he was about 6 lbs when he came home but quickly jumped in size during growth spurts.?

image Nicholas loved for 28 weeks, 4/11/10
    Baby Boy loved for 15 weeks, 5/31/11
    Baby Girl loved for 16.5 weeks. 3/1/12
  • Just make sure to include a receipt so she can return them if she can't use them.
  • Yeah, I'd buy size 1's. My DD is 3 weeks old and can wear either NB or size 1. Some brands of newborns are already getting a bit small on her (Seventh Generation, ugh) and she's not particularly big. I think Pampers Swaddlers size 1's say they start at 8 lbs., so many babies can wear them from the start.
  • You should get her one of these... they're made with size 1 diapers. http://www.veronicaspreciousgifts.com/cakes.html
  • Um, DS worn newborn diapers for 2 days - one day in the hospital and one day at home. ?After that he was in size 1's. ?So I might even lean toward getting size 2's - ? ?

It totally does depend on the baby, obviously DS is a big boy (he was 9 lb, 5 oz at birth). ?He is growing out of size 4's right now at 11 months old....?

Ritzy Heifer
  • I don't know about diapers, but my mom has always warned me against bringing newborn sized clothes to a baby shower, unless the baby has already been born and is small.  She says some babies are born too big for them. 
  • DD was 8 1/2 lbs at birth but still could wear NB for about 8 weeks.  I think she just has a skinny little butt, because now at 4 1/2 mos.she can still wear Pampers size 1's, though they are starting to get a little small.  The Costco 1/2's go to 15 lbs and they still fit her fine. She weighed 13 1/2 lbs at 4 mos.

• If you want something practical, don't do diapers, do onesies in large sizes.

LLL can only wear one brand without blow-outs, at least in the N and 1.  I've just heard once they hit size 2, it's not as big a deal.   

But if you pick the wrong brand, she may not be able to use any of them.