Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

let's talk kitchen window treatments

So-I have these ugly_ass curtains in my kitchen that have been there since we bought the house. I have just been too lazy/undecided to change them until now. We are getting new windows installed very soon and I don't want to put the ugly things back up. So my question is, if you had a kitchen full of windows (two single windows plus a bay window) that faced the front of the house/street parking, what would you get?

Of course I gravitate toward the most expensive thing I can find (plantation shutters) but they are really out of my budget. So, just looking for any suggestions. Every time I go to target, BBB, etc I browse the window treatment aisles but nothing really catches my eye. If it matters my kitchen is lighter (buttery yellow, white appliances, oak table) so I don't want anything dark in there. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: let's talk kitchen window treatments

• Ooh I'm glad you posted this. We need new window treatments in the kitchen also (the one big window faces the front yard/parking, same as yours I'm guessing). We used to have shutters on the bottom half of the window which I didn't like so we replaced with cafe curtains and valance which is NMS. DH wants plain blinds. I'm thinking maybe wooden blinds. No idea.

Sorry to hijack - looking forward to hearing responses!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • We've been happy with the faux wood blinds from Home Depot. They're pretty reasonably priced (like $30 for a 35" window and about $70 for a 72" window) and they cut them to size for you in a few minutes. We did one window in the real wood blinds because I wanted tan instead of white and they are about double the price of the faux wood blinds. I like the wood ones but I find they are more of a pain to dust. I can't really help with where to look for curtains since my mom makes all of our curtains for us. 
  • We still have the cheap vinyl, flimsy blinds, in our whole house, except for DS room (he has Roman shades in white), and our dogs have destroyed them.  There are huge chunks out of them, it looks horrible.  We have been looking around and, like you, what I would love to pick out is just too expensive.  So we've looked at the Faux Wood/PVC (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/departments/window-treatments/in-home-services/custom-decorating-/custom-2-embossed-faux-wood-blind/prod.jump?ppId=1b9cef7&catId=cat100260228&blinds that are at least 2 inches thick/wide.  Have you looked at JCpenny?  I get a lot of our curtains from there and got the roman shades for J's room from there too when they were on sale.  They have really good options. I also love the bamboo look, but I know my animals would tear those to shreads too.  Also we want something that looks nicer than the cheapo vinyl blinds, but dont' want to go all out since we want out of the house anyway.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For drapes, I tend to like Ballard Designs, Restoration Hardware and, at times, Pottery Barn.  Drape Style is also a great site for inspiration.  Their stuff generally costs a fortune - but you can usually find something close to the fabric if you see a style you love and have an etsy seller make them for you.  If you're open to something a little more out there, Anthropologie's stuff is also gorgeous.

Home Goods is often worth a look, too. 

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • Yes, I have been considering wood blinds (I like the wider slats, like 2.5 inches). I was wondering if there was a noticeably difference between the faux wood and real wood...I like the prices of the faux wood much better! Perhaps I will have to take a trip to Lowes/HD to inspect them in person....

Rags, thanks for those suggestions, I am off to browse them now.

• image gracie2762:
    We've been happy with the faux wood blinds from Home Depot. They're pretty reasonably priced (like $30 for a 35" window and about $70 for a 72" window) and they cut them to size for you in a few minutes. We did one window in the real wood blinds because I wanted tan instead of white and they are about double the price of the faux wood blinds. I like the wood ones but I find they are more of a pain to dust. I can't really help with where to look for curtains since my mom makes all of our curtains for us. 

Thanks for posting this, I am glad you like them. This is pretty much what I was eyeing up earlier (but on Lowes site).

• image mrs. remy:

Yes, I have been considering wood blinds (I like the wider slats, like 2.5 inches). I was wondering if there was a noticeably difference between the faux wood and real wood...I like the prices of the faux wood much better! Perhaps I will have to take a trip to Lowes/HD to inspect them in person....

Rags, thanks for those suggestions, I am off to browse them now.

I've been scanning this post cause we too are in dire need. But FWIW, our entire downstairs is done in the faux white wood blinds. We have 14 windows, not including the ones above our sink (they are odd size) and I love them. It was a much cheaper route then going to next day blinds which we did get an estimate from at one point.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got an estimate from Budget Blinds for our bay window in the front of our townhouse and it was more expensive than I'd hoped. We ended up measuring ourselves and ordering faux wood from blindschalet.com and we are SO pleased with them. 

We also got faux wood blinds from Lowes for DD's room and are very pleased. Both sets of blinds are white and I think they look really nice. Plus you can't see the dust on them :)

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers