Nest Book Club

Need a "scary" book suggestion

I joined my moms book club and the ladies are all asking me for a suitable book for October. I have no idea what to suggest. It is mostly women in their 50s-70s and it seems as though they aren't too into horror but they want something good for that time of year. I haven't read much in the horror genre in a long time so do you ladies have any good suggestions? Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Re: Need a "scary" book suggestion

• What about Rebecca?  It's not really "scary" per se, but it's gothic and kind of creepy and just a great book all around :)  I feel like it would be a suitable October read.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I love Stephen King's Salem's Lot. Great book for October

Luzern, Switzerland
    Bios
    Adventures of A. Cook
  • RevJenRevJen member
    25000 Comments Eighth Anniversary 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    IT

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Thanks lades! I will NOT be suggesting IT. I tried to read it during the read along and gave up. I was too scared to even get far into it. Ill look into the other suggestions though.
  • image sbevmc09:
    What about Rebecca?  It's not really "scary" per se, but it's gothic and kind of creepy and just a great book all around :)  I feel like it would be a suitable October read.

This is what I was going to say! That's a perfect October read and I think it's good for any age group. 

my read shelf:
    Andrea Collis's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Twilight?  Hahaha, I kid, I kid!  What about The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.  Yes, it's YA, but a great story and not scary.

You could go classic with Bram Stoker's Dracula.

• RevJenRevJen member
    25000 Comments Eighth Anniversary 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    If you want creepy as hell but not gory/scary, try Gerald's Game.  I read it once.  Never again.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• The Night Strangers by Chris Bojhalian

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins

The Beetle by Richard Marsh

Frankenstein's Monster by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe

Raveling by Peter Moore Smith 

imageimageimage NESTIE FORMERLY KNOWN AS BOONEYBEAR. Stooooopid nest.
  • image coughing hairballs:

The Night Strangers by Chris Bojhalian

I agree. This would be perfect and would provide a lot to talk about as well. 

Sarah (sarahelisabethm)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Bag of Bones (SK)

Misery (SK)

well, frankly- pretty much anything by SK (and no- I know not all of his are scary- I am exaggerating) but I can answer questions about any books if you have them 

Follow my SK blog as I reread the entire SK library (again!):
    http://www.skallthetime.blogspot.com/
  • I think Dracula or Rebecca would be perfect!
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Thanks all. I'm going to look into these suggestions and bring up a couple options at our next meeting. I really appreciate the help.