Crafts
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

i want to make my own COOL custom invitations....help

You see all the cute custom invites on sites like ETSY.......well i want to make my own.....not to sell....just to make for my kids, nieces and nephews parties! BUT....i dont know what program people use to design them in.

Anyone know what programs are used to design these custom invites???????

Re: i want to make my own COOL custom invitations....help

• Hi!

I would suggest to just google "digital invite maker" and see what comes up. When i looked these websites didn't look too bad. Also just remember that when you use digital invites not everyone uses a computer (especially if you have elderly family members who you'd want to invite to such parties.

You can also just make your invitations on programs like photoshop and illustrator, paint, then save the file and attach it to the emails your sending it to. Although programs like photoshop and illustrator are expensive, they offer free trials and if you're looking for something cheaper you can always go to microsoft's website if you have word and powerpoint and they have free templates, with these templates you download them but you can change anything about it you want, font style, size, picture, etc. They have a ton for invitations.

Below are a few websites that actually let you send invites digitally for free, again not sure how great they'll be or how customizable they'll be but it's worth a shot. Also if you change your mind and would like to just use print invitations, i'm an art student and my friend is a graphic design major, she made the most amazing invites for my wedding and is pretty affordable because she's trying to build her portfolio. Let me know if you'd like her info :)

http://www.purpletrail.com/invitations-online

http://ecochildsplay.blogspot.com/2007/07/make-your-own-digital-birthday-party.html 

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?ck=1&ex=2&qu=invitation&av=zwd140 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I make my own invitations, have for quite a while.  My wedding invites, shower invites for various people, on and on and fully intend to make my kid's party invitations.  I have a jacked copy of Photoshop that I do all my graphics in and I then I do all the text in microsoft publisher.  I'm sure there are better programs but these are the ones I know and moderately like. 

Photoshop is kind of a bear to learn, but totally doable.  I've taught myself everything from online tutorials and just doodling.

Here are a few I've done in the last little bit 

View Full Size Image 

Well, that is the only one I can find right at the moment that doesn't have tons of info on it.  That's how I do mine. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image tinabean00:

I make my own invitations, have for quite a while.  My wedding invites, shower invites for various people, on and on and fully intend to make my kid's party invitations.  I have a jacked copy of Photoshop that I do all my graphics in and I then I do all the text in microsoft publisher.  I'm sure there are better programs but these are the ones I know and moderately like. 

Photoshop is kind of a bear to learn, but totally doable.  I've taught myself everything from online tutorials and just doodling.

Here are a few I've done in the last little bit 

View Full Size Image 

Well, that is the only one I can find right at the moment that doesn't have tons of info on it.  That's how I do mine. 

If you dont mind me asking using yours as an example. Did you find the animal images online as a download? When you want backgrounds whatever it may be are there sites you go to buy them? I seen there are a couple different Photoshops is there a certain one i want? Thanks so much for your advice and help! 

• I just have the basic photoshop, it's even a few years old.  Photoshop is a little more indepth than just backgrounds so if that's what you want a card making program might be more up your alley.

In the card I posted everything is individual and placed every single image where it is.  

You can download brushes and vectors.  I don't fully get the vectors but they are basically backgrounds I think.  You can get chevron background and flower background etc. etc.  It's kind of like a brush but you can go over the entire canvas or you can just do a portion and it's a continual image.

The brushes are images.  In the card I posted, the flowers and butterflies are brushes.  You can pick a color you want it to be and position it where you want it to be click the mouse and it's there.  Brushes are typically only 1 color so if it's 2 colors, I manipulated it some.  The animals on the other hand, I couldn't find any brushes I liked so I actually drew those.  Not sure how they came out so good, but somehow they did.  I'm not that good at drawing but they were easy animals.

You can google Photoshop brushes.  Lots are free, but you can also purchase some.  That can give you an idea of what you'll have to work with. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image tinabean00:

I just have the basic photoshop, it's even a few years old.  Photoshop is a little more indepth than just backgrounds so if that's what you want a card making program might be more up your alley.

In the card I posted everything is individual and placed every single image where it is.  

You can download brushes and vectors.  I don't fully get the vectors but they are basically backgrounds I think.  You can get chevron background and flower background etc. etc.  It's kind of like a brush but you can go over the entire canvas or you can just do a portion and it's a continual image.

The brushes are images.  In the card I posted, the flowers and butterflies are brushes.  You can pick a color you want it to be and position it where you want it to be click the mouse and it's there.  Brushes are typically only 1 color so if it's 2 colors, I manipulated it some.  The animals on the other hand, I couldn't find any brushes I liked so I actually drew those.  Not sure how they came out so good, but somehow they did.  I'm not that good at drawing but they were easy animals.

You can google Photoshop brushes.  Lots are free, but you can also purchase some.  That can give you an idea of what you'll have to work with. 

Thank you thank you!!!!!! Yes this is the type of program i am wanting!!!! I appreciate you taking time to explain a little of the program to me!!!!

• You can also purchase (and find free) clip art to use on your invites.

For example, I bought a $3 set of cars and trucks to use on this invite-- it came with 12 different vehicles and I'll use them for different things.

I use Photoshop, too. Smile 

***Link removed--it is a violation of TOS to promote your Etsy shop. 

• i personally don't use photoshop, for me, its too expensive and i'll never use 98% of the features. i use gimp for invitations i make for my girls...look into digital scrapbooking papers, kits, embellishments, clipart etc.  here's a good tut on using gimp to make invitaions:

http://www.becomingmartha.com/2012/05/using-gimp-3-invitations.html

lettering delights has some great graphics, fonts and scrapbook papers you can use! www.letteringdelights.com

image Ridin dirty
  • I always prefer Printstage they offers a comprehensive solution for your custom printing needs and  full color printing at discounted rates. We offer free design as well as free shipping for all your printing orders. - See more at: http://www.printsage.com