Crafts

talk to me about Hobby Lobby

I have never set foot in one but as I was driving down the road today I noticed Hobby Lobby was added to the list of businesses coming to our new shopping center. It made me super excited because I love scrapbooking and crafts but haven't made much time for it since Michaels is 20+ minutes away. 

So, what are your likes and dislikes with the store? Is it better than Michaels? 

Re: talk to me about Hobby Lobby

• I love it. The only drawback I've seen is that no matter which one i go to there are never enough cashiers.  Also, just as an FYI, they're not open on Sunday.

I like that they have a decent amount of home decor, fabric and your typical craft store merchandise.  I think they have a great party section and baking/food craft type section.  The yarn selection is okay, but I think Joanns and ACMoore have the best yarn selection.

They typically only have 40% off coupons that you can get via mobile, emailed to you, from the website or in the paper, but it's a toss up as to what section it'll be in.

I think it'd be worth a trip when it does open. 

• I love Hobby Lobby for their prices and product selection- REALLY DISLIKE them for their awful politics, their horrible employment discrimination, and their cheap MIC quality of some of their stuff. Really, it makes me so sad when people behind a company have to push their hate out there and fvckup a good thing. :-p
  • Hobby Lobby is the closest craft store to my house.  I'm a preschool teacher, so I'm always running there for a last minute *something* and I think their regular prices + 40% off coupons are better than Michaels.  They have a ton of paper and great accents, etc. for scrapbooking.  I regularly scour their clearance section for all sorts of cheap odds and ends for my art center.  Also, they carry fabric, and my Michaels nor the Walmart across the street from HL do not.   

I do agree with the PP, though, and feel like I shouldn't like HL as much as I do because I know they wouldn't like me!  (I'm NOT Christian, I don't go to church on Sundays, and I support a lot of things they actively campaign against.  I have to put that out of my mind when I'm running in for a few pieces of felt)

• The company has really, really ugly ties to dominionist groups and efforts- scary stuff for ANYONE with a sane brain and kind heart. They used to be a 30-40 minute drive for me, so it was pretty easy to ignore them. But, they're opening one up in my Target plaza- 5 minutes away! Jerks.

My distaste of them is near (maybe even above) my Wal-mart and Chic-fil-a levels, though, and I still occasionally (like once or twice a year) spend a little money at those gross companies, too.

And then I go home and scour myself in the shower.

• I like Michael's better, though I do go to Hobby Lobby sometimes when they have better coupons. They will have your basic stuff like paint brushes, floral sprays, mod podge, etc. but don't try going there for Halloween stuff ever, because they are a "Christian Store" and don't stock much at all. The things they do have are things like snack size WWJD candy bars and general autumn decor at that time of year. They seriously had nothing for making masks in October...except mardi gras masks. In October. This is also why they are closed on Sundays. On the other hand, they will be right up your alley if you would like to paint your own decorative crucifix or plan a very matchy-matchy baptism party.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Hobby Lobby and don't know what you ladies are talking about!  I know plenty of employees at a store near me and another store further away.  They have many openly gay/lesbian employees and managers.   I was friends with a lesbian woman who was a store manager for years.  Also, you don't have to be Christian to work there.  They have plenty of athiests and agnostics.  I should know, I've partied with them.  LOL

They always have a ton of Christmas, as do most stores, but less for Easter, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc., as do most stores.  I don't know of any store that has a Halloween department as big as a Christmas department.  Also, they carry Hannukkah stuff as well.  They also carry mask making stuff year round because I have bought it there before.  They have the plain masks that you paint or decorate yourself.

While I may not agree with some of the groups the owners contribute to, the store really does have some great stuff that you can get on sale or with a coupon.  They have the biggest scrapbooking section of any store in my area.    They also have the largest floral selection, best framing department, best craft department, and best home decor section.  

image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • image JackieO1114:

Hobby Lobby is the closest craft store to my house.  I'm a preschool teacher, so I'm always running there for a last minute *something* and I think their regular prices + 40% off coupons are better than Michaels.  They have a ton of paper and great accents, etc. for scrapbooking.  I regularly scour their clearance section for all sorts of cheap odds and ends for my art center.  Also, they carry fabric, and my Michaels nor the Walmart across the street from HL do not.   

I do agree with the PP, though, and feel like I shouldn't like HL as much as I do because I know they wouldn't like me!  (I'm NOT Christian, I don't go to church on Sundays, and I support a lot of things they actively campaign against.  I have to put that out of my mind when I'm running in for a few pieces of felt)

You really think that the people who work there won't like you because you're not Christian?  In my experience with friends who have worked there, there are as many open minded people there as any other store.  And there are as many rude, intolerant jerks as any store.  FWIW, I'm a Christian and how you choose to practice or not practice religion is entirely your business.  As long as you're nice and lots of fun, I'd scrapbook with you anytime.  Not all Christians are intolerantassholes.

• image MarynJoe:
    image JackieO1114:

Hobby Lobby is the closest craft store to my house.  I'm a preschool teacher, so I'm always running there for a last minute *something* and I think their regular prices + 40% off coupons are better than Michaels.  They have a ton of paper and great accents, etc. for scrapbooking.  I regularly scour their clearance section for all sorts of cheap odds and ends for my art center.  Also, they carry fabric, and my Michaels nor the Walmart across the street from HL do not.   

You really think that the people who work there won't like you because you're not Christian?  In my experience with friends who have worked there, there are as many open minded people there as any other store.  And there are as many rude, intolerant jerks as any store.  FWIW, I'm a Christian and how you choose to practice or not practice religion is entirely your business.  As long as you're nice and lots of fun, I'd scrapbook with you anytime.  Not all Christians are intolerantassholes.

First, my response was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.  In no way was I implying that "all Christians are intolerantassholes" and I apologize if that's how you read it.  I'm glad your impression of HL is that the employees are open to be who they are- that is not the case in my area.  Also, as I work for a Jewish organization, I've never ever seen anything I could use for Hanukkah in my HL. 

• image JackieO1114:
    image MarynJoe:
    image JackieO1114:

First, my response was meant to be a little tongue in cheek.  In no way was I implying that "all Christians are intolerantassholes" and I apologize if that's how you read it.  I'm glad your impression of HL is that the employees are open to be who they are- that is not the case in my area.  Also, as I work for a Jewish organization, I've never ever seen anything I could use for Hanukkah in my HL. 

I get what you're saying, but I have GLBT friends who work at Hobby Lobby.  They're accepted by the other employees and customers.  If non-Christian customers think they're not welcome, that ends up hurting the pocket books of all the GLBT employees.  And, it's not fair to put an intolerant label on all the people who work there based on the intolerance of some.

Sorry, but it really bugs me when a label is unfairly put on a whole group.  It's one of my hot buttons.

To the OP, sorry to totally derail your post. 

• I miss Hobby Lobby!  I am used to always having one near by and now they are quite a drive.  

Every time I go into Michael's for something other than wedding stuff I am sorely disappointed.   And their coupons/ weekly sales are great.

And frankly I have no idea what the hate is towards HL.  Yes its founders are Christian and they are sure to make sure their company follows Christian values, but I have never noticed anything that would make me thing discrimination.  I have always had friendly service from a wonderful array of people of obviously different cultural backgrounds.  And they are continuously raising the bar for their employees.  The full time minimum wage nationally is $13/hr ($9 for part time).  

Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • image aggiebug:

I miss Hobby Lobby!  I am used to always having one near by and now they are quite a drive.  

Every time I go into Michael's for something other than wedding stuff I am sorely disappointed.   And their coupons/ weekly sales are great.

And frankly I have no idea what the hate is towards HL.  Yes its founders are Christian and they are sure to make sure their company follows Christian values, but I have never noticed anything that would make me thing discrimination.  I have always had friendly service from a wonderful array of people of obviously different cultural backgrounds.  And they are continuously raising the bar for their employees.  The full time minimum wage nationally is $13/hr ($9 for part time).  

I just read about that last week.  I wonder if the other craft stores will follow?

• LOVE Hobby Lobby. I feel like their paper selection (cardmaking, letter press, etc) is MUCH better than Michaels.Last week I bought a jar of glass etching cream for $19.99-- the same jar was $29.99 at Michaels. (Plus HL had the 40% off coupon, while Michaels ran 20% off your entire purchase last week.)

That being said, I know that they mark up the prices on other things. Last week I saw a package of 4 half pint wide mouth mason jars for $12.99-- I needed them to make a teacher appreciation gift. Luckily, I had just bought the exact same jars for $4 at Walmart a few days before.Couldn't believe the markup!

Specialty craft stuff I buy there, and I feel like I get a good price. Utilitarian items I'd buy elsewhere.

• I love Hobby Lobby.

I do think the prices tend to be on the high side, but with the 40% off coupons and the constant 50% off sales, you can get excellent deals if you time your shopping right. 

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • I love HL, but wish they had a little less decor/knick-knacky items and more actual craft supplies.

This is a little random, but they have a really great drawer knob selection.  I've been looking all over for affordable pink crystal drawer pulls for my daughter's dresser and finally found some there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a Christian and I still get tired of their Musak versions of praise songs & hymns.  That's just me being a musician though. 

Around here, the HL prices are almost always better than Michaels or Joanns.  However, the actual supply sections have been shrinking more & more while the knick knacks & deco sections are growing, which does drive me a bit nuts.  I'm glad to have them around when I need a last minute item for a cake, though, and can't get up to my cake supplier who is 45 minutes away.

I live in a very conservative Christian area and I know we've had Chanukah stuff in our HL store.  I wasn't really aware of the fact there was controversy over their policies.  One thing I do like about them is that in our state, every HL I've seen was retrofitted into an existing storefront, rather than building a new space.  I've always liked that they fill an empty space rather than just using up more resources.

• I really love it because of the sales! It does seem to be high at first, but wait a week and it will be on sale! I also like the fact that their decor is organized and easy to find!!!
    Photobucket