Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Bodypump?

I am thinking of a joining a gym for some cross training (and giving me a break from these scorching summer days) and 24 Hr Fitness has Body Pump, which looks like some sort of weight lifting type of class. Has anyone does this? Is it actually a good workout? I primarily run and do yoga, and I'm trying to spend more time bike riding (will probably try spin classes) and use the pool. 
[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Bodypump?

• I love it! It's all about muscle endurance. I do it 2-3x/weekly in addition to running/cycling/swimming.

Robynokj (maybe messed up that sn) teaches it, and I think HikerBeth does too?? They will have lots more info than I do, but as a participant, I would recommend it to anyone. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • Hey, I'm a new instructor. 

It's an hour long strength class that takes you through all the muscle groups.  I saw a difference in my body very quickly with it and I keep getting stronger.  You change pace/range frequently so you get the most effective workout.  Did you have any specific questions?  

I know Angela is an instructor too

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/10zbfyf.jpg[/IMG]
  • I wasn't exactly sure what it is and I wanted to know if it is a good workout. Is it enough of a workout that combined with riding my bike to and from the gym, it would count as a cross training day? Are they watching you enough to correct your form? The last thing I need is to get hurt!

I'm happy to hear that you can see a change in your body and I'd like to improve overall strength. I'm looking for some fun ways to mix it up. 

• No it does not count as a cross training class. 

Body Pump is a class by Les Mills (you can google and read more on their site if you would rather).

It's all weight lifting.. you will grab a step with a couple of risers, bar, a couple different sizes of weights to put on the bar, and a mat. You start with a warm up of lifting all over.. squats, dead lifts, bicep curls, etc. Then each song for about 55 minutes goes through the major muscle groups (2nd track is boot with tons of squats, third track is chest so you'll be lying on the bench, etc)

It's fantastic.. It really is. It gets you familiar with weight lifting in a comfortable environment. You will do different counts upon instruction (ex: Dead lifts may start off as a few sets of 3 counts down, one up, then switch to singles, then 2 down, 2 up, etc)

Do it. It's wonderful. And Les Mills is one of the best programs for consistency so you always know about how many calories you burn per class (and I promise that you will always come out with at least one more muscle group :) )  

• Oh! I didn't see your last question.. Yes. The instructor SHOULD be leading you and watching everything.. She/He will constantly remind you to look in the mirror, don't bend over your toes, shoulders back, etc. 
  • Body pump is one of my favorite classes... All of the les mills classes are great. Try as many as you can! 
  • Awesome! I'm looking forward to trying it out this week
  • I teach!

It's really more of a muscle endurance rather than "weightlifting" class, but it's really fun and my participants have made really great gains.

I love that I can teach gym rats and 75 year old ladies in the same class and they each get a great workout.

image image Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Body Pump is definitely my favorite class and I've been taking it for 2 years, about 2X per week.  I love the toning, plus building muscle is important for revving up your metabolism (the more lean muscle mass you have the more calories your body burns at rest) so it's definitely been essential in my workout regimen!
  • i've been doing it for almost 3 years now, and i love it!