Money Matters

Elaborate ways to ask a girl to prom???

My CW is talking about what his son had to do to ask a girl to go to prom. Do people not just ask anymore-you have to have some huge ordeal? His kid painted a huge sign (like 5') that said "will you go to prom with me?" and then painted this giant rock (that she couldnt lift) with "no" and then this tiny little rock that said "yes." He also left her a card and flowers. Another kid had a build a bear, balloons and a guy in costume go to a girls house. You could spend $$$ before even getting to the actual dance

Re: Elaborate ways to ask a girl to prom???

• There were people that did stuff like this when I went to high school. Grand gestures like this are pretty common in movies, TV & other media marketed to teens, so it's not out there that they'd try to imitate it. Some kids like the spectacle to make it 'more special'.

• Nobody at my school did this. I think one boy did bring a girl flowers to ask her to prom. Come to think of it, I never was actually asked to prom. I was dating a guy at the time and we just were like ok, did you get the tickets, where do you want to go to eat, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • This happened a lot in my HS. 
  • The first time I heard of this was on MTV's Laguna Beach ( Embarrassed ) but since then I've seen it spread to real life.  I think it's ridiculous, but maybe I'm just a crabby old lady. 
  • This was the norm at my high school.

My mom (and most other parents) thought it was utterly ridiculous, but we did it anyway.

• Dont' recall any of that happening for our proms, not even flowers during the asking. "hey, you  busy, x day- want to go to prom"..etc.  It was really no big deal. 
  • A kid in CT was suspended for taping big letters on the school to ask a girl to prom. I think it made national news a couple years ago. 

Proud Mom: Madilyn Louise 9/19/06 and Sophia Christina 12/16/08 Bumpersticker
  • I don't remember anyone doing this when I was in high school. But I also went to an all-girls school, so (a) I never witnessed anyone being asked, and (b) the girls were typically the ones doing the asking (not that girls couldn't do an elaborate proposal if they wanted to, but the news stories I see seem to be guys asking the girls).

MH is a teacher and said one of his students spelled out, "[Name], prom?" with tennis balls on the school's tennis court and I thought that was cute.

I didn't have a boyfriend in high school and didn't really have any guy friends either. For the senior prom, my friend had her date ask one of his friends if he'd go with me.

For the junior prom, a classmate and I just split the ticket since each ticket included two meals. We weren't going as a couple or anything, but the nuns threw a shiitfit and weren't going to let us do it because it "wouldn't look right." They wanted us each to buy a full-priced ticket. Our moms went in and complained and eventually they gave in. They wouldn't let us take the official photo together, though ... we asked if we could bring in a bunch of girls as a compromise and they still said no, we each had to take it solo. Weird.

• This was the norm at my high school.

Formerly known as E&M
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If it were my son I would oppose this.

f.k.a.= Derniermot
  • srgwsrgw member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its

I don't remember any elaborate askings to prom.

For girl ask guy (Tolo) a senior girl asked a guy over the PA system after morning announcements.

I asked a guy friend to Tolo by having him called to the vice principal's office like he was in trouble and catching him outside the office to ask him where he was going and what bad thing he did. I totally had him going before I told him I'd had him called to the vice principal's office. Big Smile (This guy friend really liked me and I was flattered but didn't like him so it was kind of a complicated friendship senior year.)

• I'm surprised so many people are saying this was the norm when they were in high school.  I just discovered that it is the new norm, since my husband teaches high school & my cousin is prom age.  I thought it must have been a recent thing.
    Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Makes more sense for a 17 year old to do some elaborate proposal for a dance than it does for a 27 year old for a wedding...
  • image insominac:
    Makes more sense for a 17 year old to do some elaborate proposal for a dance than it does for a 27 year old for a wedding...

LOL and Yes

This wasn't the norm at my school, but it wasn't unusual either.

• image bostonbaker:
    The first time I heard of this was on MTV's Laguna Beach ( Embarrassed ) but since then I've seen it spread to real life.  

I was about to say the same thing Cool