Fashion & Beauty

Retin-A: Do you use it for crow's feet and under-eye area?

I used to only use Retin-A on my forehead/nose/cheeks area, but someone on here mentioned she uses it for her crow's feet and undereye area.

Does anyone else put Retin A in the eye area?

1. I tried doing this, and I feel like the skin around my eyes (crow's feet and undereye) are somewhat tight, which is none too surprising since when I put Retin A on my forehead/cheeks, my skin in that area get tight too. Should I put any eye cream on top of the crow's feet/undereye area after applying Retin A?

2. I remember reading that the tissue around the eye area thinner than the rest of the face- thus, is it ok to put Retin-A in the eye area?

Re: Retin-A: Do you use it for crow's feet and under-eye area?

• I was only doing it occasionally in those areas until other girls on  here said they did the .1% around the eyes with no issues.  I've been doing the .1% around my eyes daily now for maybe two weeks.  I also experience a slight tight feeling, but it doesn't look dry or anything.  I always use a night cream around my eyes in addition to Retin-A.

I've read mixed opinions from dermatologists online about applying it around the eyes.  What I've gathered from the reading I've done is that the younger you are, the less risky it is.  If you are in your early 30's or younger, the skin in that area is most likely thick enough to withstand any thinning from the Retin A.  However, older women will have thinner skin around the eyes to start with and the extra thinning from Retin A can be damaging.   

• image Go_Dawgs:

I was only doing it occasionally in those areas until other girls on  here said they did the .1% around the eyes with no issues.  I've been doing the .1% around my eyes daily now for maybe two weeks.  I also experience a slight tight feeling, but it doesn't look dry or anything.  I always use a night cream around my eyes in addition to Retin-A.

I've read mixed opinions from dermatologists online about applying it around the eyes.  What I've gathered from the reading I've done is that the younger you are, the less risky it is.  If you are in your early 30's or younger, the skin in that area is most likely thick enough to withstand any thinning from the Retin A.  However, older women will have thinner skin around the eyes to start with and the extra thinning from Retin A can be damaging.   

I'm in my early 30s... I'm still trying to decide if I should continue using Retin A around my eyes. I am currently using 0.05%.

When do you apply your eye cream? Immediately after? 

• I use it on crows feet, but not directly under the eye. I'm 41 and have heard the same about the dangers of it thinning under eye skin. 
  • image *Krista*:
    I use it on crows feet, but not directly under the eye. I'm 41 and have heard the same about the dangers of it thinning under eye skin. 

Interesting... I didn't realize that the crow's feet area has thicker skin than the undereye area?

• I've used it around my eyes for the past 2 years. I'm 34 and have used Retin A on the rest of my face for 17 years!!! (I just did the math on that. . .that's crazy). Anyway, although I had some mild irritation initially, I think it has helped.
    "Never go with a hippie to a second location." ~ Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
  • image clevebride2006:
    image Go_Dawgs:

I was only doing it occasionally in those areas until other girls on  here said they did the .1% around the eyes with no issues.  I've been doing the .1% around my eyes daily now for maybe two weeks.  I also experience a slight tight feeling, but it doesn't look dry or anything.  I always use a night cream around my eyes in addition to Retin-A.

I'm in my early 30s... I'm still trying to decide if I should continue using Retin A around my eyes. I am currently using 0.05%.

When do you apply your eye cream? Immediately after? 

This is something else that has mixed recommendations from dermatologists.  Some say to wait 20 minutes after washing, Apply Retin A, wait another 20 minutes, and then apply moisturizer/night cream.  Others say to moisturize first and then apply Retin A.  I did the former for a while, until I read an article by a dermatologist saying that Retin A i slight sensitive, and that even light from light bulbs can make it less effective.  This dermatologist recommends keeping Retin A on your night stand and it being the last product you apply before bed so you spend no time with it on in the light.  When I read this, I started moisturizing first (I put my regular moisturizer around my eyes) and then applying Retin A right before bed.  I'll see if I can find the article I read about this.

• I haven't put it under my eyes -- just the area where crows feet would be.
    "Never go with a hippie to a second location." ~ Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
  • Oh, some also say to mix the Retin A with your moisturizer and apply all at once.

I'm not finding that article . . .

• image clevebride2006:

image *Krista*:
    I use it on crows feet, but not directly under the eye. I'm 41 and have heard the same about the dangers of it thinning under eye skin. 

Interesting... I didn't realize that the crow's feet area has thicker skin than the undereye area?

I don't know that it does. I just know I peel when I put it under my eyes but not on the sides.