Health & Fitness

Go! St. Louis half recap (long)

This was my first race of the season, and I had decided with the injuries I had while training that I was not going to set a time goal and just go out and have fun.  We had crazy storms here on Friday afternoon and Saturday.  The 5k and fun runs that were scheduled for Saturday were cancelled due to the storms.

I woke up at 4 Sunday morning without my alarm.  I had a bagel for breakfast and DH and I left for the race about 5:30, parked and I made a beeline for the porta potty line.  I put my bib on and headed for my corral.  I weaved my way through the crowd and chatted with of the runners around me.  We started right at 7, I was in the 3rd corral, so there wasn't much of a wait. 

My first couple of miles were faster than I usually start out, but they felt good, so I went with it.  We run through different parts of the city.  The Soulard neighborhood was great, they were all standing out along the route in their pajamas with cow bells and music.  We also wind through the Anheiser Busch Brewery, and they had one of the clydesdales out, which was pretty cool.  Somewhere around the 5-6 mile mark, I ended up stopping my garmin, I didn't realize it until I had looked at my garmin twice and the time was exactly the same.  I started it again, but really didn't look at it for the rest of race since I couldn't tell how long it was stopped.

Around mile 8, took a gu and fell in step with three older men who had run 50 marathons in 50 states.   They had some pretty cool stories and were really inspiring.  I ran with them for a mile or so, but lost them at the water station.  The last 3 miles my hips started aching, which I remembered happening last year during the race.  I took a few walk breaks, and that seemed to help.  At mile 11, the first two marathoners ran past us. After that, the last two miles went by pretty quick. I ended up with a course PR, my final time was 2:32:13.  I would have liked a faster time, but considering that 4 months ago I wasn't able to run a quarter of mile without incredible pain, I am happy that I was able to finish strong.

I saw DH right after I crossed the finish line where he was waiting with a beer, which I swear was one of the best beers I have ever had in my entire life!

2012 Races
GO! St. Louis Half Marathon-2:32:13
Omaha Half Marathon 9.23.12

Re: Go! St. Louis half recap (long)