Trouble in Paradise

Thoughts on this TIP-worthy C&P?

http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/65023726.aspx

Short story: Wife hides major debt from husband for second time in 5 years, only confesses both times because she is about to be exposed. He explodes with rage and says she's a terrible wife and mother.

Most of the posts are relatively sympathetic to the OP, which surprised me a little. Hiding huge amounts of money is somewhat similar to cheating in my book, and you can bet if my H did something like this I'd probably blast him verbally and definitely call him a terrible husband.

What do you guys think? 

Re: Thoughts on this TIP-worthy C&P?

• I'll actually go a step further and say that this is as huge as cheating. It's a form of lying and betrayal and it shows a certain depth and extent of selfishness that's hard to overcome.

Financial problems are one of the number 1 causes of divorce, for good reason. I dunno that I'd just have called her a bad mother- I'd probably asked for a divorce, especially if I already forgave once. I could never tolerate it, and I don't think I'd ever feel like I could trust my partner again.

• Based on waht we know, I'm Team Husband.  I'm not getting why he has "no right to say those things" to her, to be perfectly honest. she deceived him twice, and would have kept deceiving him if she could have.  I'd be FURIOUS if my DH did this.  I just can't get caught up in "he crossed a line". 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Yeah, Nikki, there's a lot of similarities with cheating. She adds in a later post that for over 4 years he essentially handled all the finances, and it's only in the last 4 months that he's handed over more control to her. And then she drops the additional $8k in hidden debt on him. No wonder he's pissed and feels like he can't trust her!
  • Definitely torn on this one.

On the one hand, what she did was awful and inexcusable.

On the other hand, it's not like she racked up hundreds of thousands in gambling debt or something.

I think the husband in this situation has every right to feel mislead and betrayed, especially since this is the second time it's happened.

But, call her a terrible mother? That's pure, illogical anger.

• imoanimoan
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments

I'm 100% on-board The Smock Train on this one.

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • She's clearly in the wrong.

But he's wrong too. I understand being angry and upset and saying things that you may not actually mean, but it seems like he was pretty cruel.

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns
  • If my spouse had $8k of CC debt buying things that he had nothing to show for -  I would be beyond pist. The lying about the debt and hiding it from her DH is crap.
  • Hypothetical question: If someone posted that her husband confessed to an affair, 5 years after he'd already cheated once, and she called him a terrible husband and father and waste of skin, etc, would you think she was unnecessarily harsh?

I think freaking out when you find out you've been lied to repeatedly is pretty normal.

• Not acceptable. Bottom line is that you are deceiving your spouse. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imoanimoan

And for those not caught up... it's approximately a total of $45k between the first time and this time. Not just a measly $8k.

And FOUR MONTHS after he finally started to loosen his grip on the finances... lookey what happened! 

• If my H had 8k of debt with nothing to show for it, I wouldn't yell and scream. I would cry and quietly get a divorce. I told H before we were married any financial infidelity would end in divorce, so there wouldn't be any need for yelling.

As for OP's situation, I think saying things like your a bad person or you are always *** up good things over 8k of debt could be said in anger and could be forgiven.

But telling her she is a waste and the thought of her raising their children disgusts him seems very over the top and emotionally abusive.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, she's a douchebag. Holy hell, $45k??!

• 45K on nothing to show and she claims she doesn't have a problem? Um yes. I see an obvious, glaring problem.

I would be very very very unhappy. I would have walked away when she lied about 37k of debt 5 years ago.

• imoanimoan
    image PartiallySunny:

But telling her she is a waste and the thought of her raising their children disgusts him seems very over the top and emotionally abusive.

I would be disgusted at the thought of raising a child with a liar too. 

• Wow. I love the "8k isn't a lot of money" responses. Um, maybe not for some people, but it's a lot of money to blow and have NOTHING to show for it. Whether you can afford it or not, the hiding, lying and having nothing make it a lot of money.
  • imoanimoan

The $8k would be one thing if it was the first time.  People eff up.

But the fact that it was originally $30k-something and then she did it AGAIN (and you KNOW that it would've been a lot more than $8k if they weren't refinancing and she wasn't FORCED to come clean.  If things were status quo, I wouldn't be surprised if that number just kept going up and up until HE finally discovered it)... dealbreaker.  The end. 

• There is a fine line here between appropriate anger and verbal abuse. The image I got from the description makes me think the H crossed a line. Of course, none of us really knows how the H really reacted because we weren't there.

• imoanimoan
    image PartiallySunny:

There is a fine line here between appropriate anger and verbal abuse. The image I got from the description makes me think the H crossed a line. Of course, none of us really knows how the H really reacted because we weren't there.

If my H did this to me for the SECOND time after I had FINALLY relaxed a little and put our financial security in jeopardy...

I would tell him he was a fooking waste of skin too.

And he'd deserve it. 

• image smock.smock:

Hypothetical question: If someone posted that her husband confessed to an affair, 5 years after he'd already cheated once, and she called him a terrible husband and father and waste of skin, etc, would you think she was unnecessarily harsh?

I think freaking out when you find out you've been lied to repeatedly is pretty normal.

Yes, I would think it was harsh. It's not fair fighting. 

I'm not saying that I am so perfect that I wouldn't do it, but I think I would regret not sticking to the topic. Ideally, I would recognize that I wasn't in a place to discuss and I would excuse myself to freak out.

They are both wrong. One is a breach of trust and an addict in denial. The other is throwing jabs and trying to hurt her anyway he can, which is a breach of trust in a way, too.

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns
  • Financial infidelity was the straw that broke my back regarding my XH.  I filed for divorce after the first time, and I'd do it again.

ETA:  And yeah, when I found out, I used language that would have made George Carlin blush.  I said some terrible things to him, but I still don't regret them. 

This is my siggy.
  • image imoan:
    image PartiallySunny:

There is a fine line here between appropriate anger and verbal abuse. The image I got from the description makes me think the H crossed a line. Of course, none of us really knows how the H really reacted because we weren't there.

If my H did this to me for the SECOND time after I had FINALLY relaxed a little and put our financial security in jeopardy...

I would tell him he was a fooking waste of skin too.

And he'd deserve it. 

Just shows how different we are, Imoan. 

Of course I believe he should divorce her. She had issues that she isn't even trying to address. When a person suggested individual and marriage counseling, she only addressed the marriage counseling... makes me think she has no plans on trying to "get better" or is blaming the need to shop on her spouse. No good could come of that.

• In that situation, I would be absolutely apoplectic. I honestly don't know that I'd be coherent enough to form a sentence. I would probably regret whatever I said after I calmed down, but I would be f*ckin RIPSHIT.
  • Wow. I'd be shocked if the guy stuck around to pay off her debt a second time. I wouldn't! If he does, he's either a saint or the stupidest person alive.
    Oh, FFS.
  • imoanimoan

image PartiallySunny:

Just shows how different we are, Imoan. 

Wow... that was pretty holier-than-thou!

• image broccolitree:
    In that situation, I would be absolutely apoplectic. I honestly don't know that I'd be coherent enough to form a sentence. I would probably regret whatever I said after I calmed down, but I would be f*ckin RIPSHIT.

This is basically how I feel. 

Looking back, I would feel like I could have handled it better. So, yeah. It's easy to judge him because I am on the outside looking in.

I do think this is a divorceable offense and I do think that she is overlooking more than her spending addiction.

• Can someone give me a sound, rational reason as to why this wouldn't constitute automatic divorce?
  • Think of the CHILDREN!

Yeah, I got nuthin. Lol.
  • image pedantic_wench:
    Can someone give me a sound, rational reason as to why this wouldn't constitute automatic divorce?

I don't think there is one. 

I can't imagine this level of betrayal, and I cannot imagine what her H is feeling. 

At the same time, I feel sad for her. None of this is easy, there is no winner, and hearing the thing she heard (true or not, justified or not) couldn't have been easy. 

• image pedantic_wench:
    Can someone give me a sound, rational reason as to why this wouldn't constitute automatic divorce?

Uh, maybe the $8k in debt was all to give orphans food and toys?

Or she bought someone a liver?

Or maybe she bought her H secret life-saving medicine that she gave him in his sleep to save his life? And didn't want to seem like a hero?

• image pedantic_wench:

If someone has a spending addiction AND seeks treatment for it AND makes every effort to make amends, I can see trying to make it work.  Not saying that's the case in this particular post, just in general. I can be sympathetic towards those who are really struggling with an addiction and trying to keep it to themselves. I understand it to a degree.

However.

If the debt is not because of an addiction, or the offending party doesn't seek treatment, or has a cavalier attitude about the effects, then it's simply a no-go. 

This is my siggy.