International Nesties

Spain: 10 billion in cuts to health and education announced via press release!?!

Alright government, that was a nice post-Easter surprise! How thoughtful, announcing such a cut via a press release. (More info, in English.) Maybe it's just because I'm poor, but 10 billion seems like one heck of a lot.

With both DH and I working in education here, this is scary stuff. Thank goodness the wine here is good and cheap, otherwise I'd be having panic attacks every time I saw the news.

More information is supposed to come out this week. My job depends on Madrid. They say they're going to promote bilingual education, but I can't help but wondering if my program is going to get axed. Heck, if I were making the policy it'd be one of the first things I cut. 

Do other countries just flippantly release such huge changes in policy in the evening via press release? Oh Spain, this improvisation is going to be the death of me. 

Re: Spain: 10 billion in cuts to health and education announced via press release!?!

• I must say it: Wouldn't more bilingual education increase the number of young people fleeing the country?

In Edinburgh I heard more Spanish on the streets than I did English.  "Getting rid" of unemployed youth might be better for the country, at least better for the way their unemployment statistics look.

This post isn't really going anywhere, but all things considered education is a better industry to be in than most!  Good luck to you and your H. 

• image wise_rita:

I must say it: Wouldn't more bilingual education increase the number of young people fleeing the country?

In Edinburgh I heard more Spanish on the streets than I did English.  "Getting rid" of unemployed youth might be better for the country, at least better for the way their unemployment statistics look.

This post isn't really going anywhere, but all things considered education is a better industry to be in than most!  Good luck to you and your H. 

What's shocking to me right now is that nobody is talking about the great Spanish brain drain. Sure, it's great that kids are going abroad and finding work. But where does it leave the country?

That could be a good point about bilingual education though.