Nest Book Club

fyi - nest issue

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but I didn't want it to come up tomorrow -

if you click on someone's profile there are now options for fb like, tweet, and google +

Mods have already posted about it to the nest gods and we are waiting to hear back. As soon as we know more we will let you know.

Apparently if you click the fb like option it says Your name likes their name's profile onto your fb page. In some of the posts on other boards people have tried it and it says real names, not just nest names.

So I wanted you all to be aware.

image Visit The Nest! image

Re: fyi - nest issue

• Eeks! That's so scary! Creepers lurk! 

I haven't linked my FB with tn, so hopefully that helps...? 

Sarah's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • How does it know my fb?

• Honestly I'm not really sure how it finds your fb. Some of the girls on the other boards who played with it had it link to their fb even using different emails for fb and the nest/bump. I don't know if it is a cookies issue or what. Of course none of the nest gods have been around to answer questions.
  • image kayash:
    Honestly I'm not really sure how it finds your fb. Some of the girls on the other boards who played with it had it link to their fb even using different emails for fb and the nest/bump. I don't know if it is a cookies issue or what. Of course none of the nest gods have been around to answer questions.

This is the part that I can't get my head around- that even if you change your email on TB/TN that it still connects them. I just kind of assumed that somehow they used the matching email addresses, although it still seems like they'd need permission from FB and the user to do this. 

Hopefully we hear more on Monday when Nest/Bump Gods are back in the office.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• image jackiback:

image kayash:
    Honestly I'm not really sure how it finds your fb. Some of the girls on the other boards who played with it had it link to their fb even using different emails for fb and the nest/bump. I don't know if it is a cookies issue or what. Of course none of the nest gods have been around to answer questions.

This is the part that I can't get my head around- that even if you change your email on TB/TN that it still connects them. I just kind of assumed that somehow they used the matching email addresses, although it still seems like they'd need permission from FB and the user to do this. 

Hopefully we hear more on Monday when Nest/Bump Gods are back in the office.  

yeah, I really don't get it. You'll probably see any response before I do Jacki but I'll try to check at lunch.

• I just clicked LIKE on Jacki's profile, even though my nest account is linked to an email I ONLY use for the nest and nothing else. Well, my fb profile pic showed up and asked me if I wanted to like Jacki's profile. I think just because I am currently signed in to fb on this browser it is connecting them, even though the emails aren't the same at all. 

I don't like this one bit. Tongue Tied 

ETA: I thought I clicked out of the "like" before it posted anything, but when I checked my fb it had posted a link to Jacki's nest profile along with her avatar pic on my fb timeline.

GRR.

FYI Jacki, I deleted it from my timeline.  

• Okay, so I just logged out of fb on this browser and tried to like kayash's profile. It didn't let me like it because I wasn't logged in to fb and it prompted me to log in w/ my fb info. 

BUT it looks like anyone who likes your profile will broadcast a link to your nest profile along with your avatar pic and nest name on their timeline. Tongue Tied

• image Young_Love:

Okay, so I just logged out of fb on this browser and tried to like kayash's profile. It didn't let me like it because I wasn't logged in to fb and it prompted me to log in w/ my fb info. 

BUT it looks like anyone who likes your profile will broadcast a link to your nest profile along with your avatar pic and nest name on their timeline. Tongue Tied

That's effing messed up. 

I wrote this! (Coming Feb. 4 from Disney-Hyperion)

I wrote these romances, too!
  • image Young_Love:

I just clicked LIKE on Jacki's profile, even though my nest account is linked to an email I ONLY use for the nest and nothing else. Well, my fb profile pic showed up and asked me if I wanted to like Jacki's profile. I think just because I am currently signed in to fb on this browser it is connecting them, even though the emails aren't the same at all. 

ETA: I thought I clicked out of the "like" before it posted anything, but when I checked my fb it had posted a link to Jacki's nest profile along with her avatar pic on my fb timeline.

GRR.

And what's crazy is that, from what I've heard, it doesn't post my nest name on your fb timeline, it posted my full name, right? Like, if you were a creeper, the nest makes it a one click stop to find out what everyone's full name is....

Eek.

• image jackiback:
    image Young_Love:

I just clicked LIKE on Jacki's profile, even though my nest account is linked to an email I ONLY use for the nest and nothing else. Well, my fb profile pic showed up and asked me if I wanted to like Jacki's profile. I think just because I am currently signed in to fb on this browser it is connecting them, even though the emails aren't the same at all. 

GRR.

And what's crazy is that, from what I've heard, it doesn't post my nest name on your fb timeline, it posted my full name, right? Like, if you were a creeper, the nest makes it a one click stop to find out what everyone's full name is....

Eek.

I do not like this at all...

The nest knows our first and last names.. maybe that's how it connects your nest name to fb? And somehow chooses the correct "you" based on cookies or location or something? I don't know how they're doing it, but I don't like it one bit..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary 

Books Read in 2014: 10 
  • Ummm...

1) How kind of them to do this over a holiday weekend when no Nest "gods" were around to answer questions!

2) I thought a few weeks ago this was brought up and it was said that this linking WOULDN'T happen???

• They said they would take away the links on actual posts.  I don't believe anything was mentioned about profiles.

And my answer to this is still no.  I don't WANT everything linked together no matter what effing Facebook insists on.  I will not only delete my FB account if this goes through, I will delete my Nest account.  I LIKE keeping my lives separate.

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Gah, nest! So annoying! 
    100 Books in 2014? 
    image image
     Nesties in NYC <3<3<3           Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• That seems really scary. I don't know why they would do something like this without making a big announcement to users and getting some sort of buy-in before moving forward. Seems like really poor customer service to me. Not that the Nest Gods have ever really been known for their customer service, but still.

Brie's Blog 10.11.08  The Top Shelf Bookshelf

my read shelf: Brianna's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• image kayash:
    Honestly I'm not really sure how it finds your fb.

I think it "finds" your facebook based on cookies on your computer. MH had signed in to his FB on the computer I was on, and I was trying out the feature, so when I "liked" someone's profile on here, it actually showed up on MH's facebook page that he liked it. Oops, poor guy. I deleted it right away.

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • No word from The Gods yet. I'll let you know when I hear something.

• This is some scary B*S. Just not okay at all. There is a line between being able to search your (typically anonymous) nest sn on google and finding posts. It is another to have them being liked or tweeted and streaming in for everyone you know to connect back to you. 

image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • wait. i just tried it and there was only a tweet option and g+, no facebook.

by the way i never gave the nest (or knot) my real name OR the email address that i use for FB (i made a separate one for here) and I dont use FB at work (it's blocked).

middle finger to you TN.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • This is the response from The Bump from Nest Kathleen:

Hi everyone,Just wanted to address the feedback we're getting about the Likes/+1s on profile pages. These have actually been on your profiles for two years. We haven't had complaints about them until now, but your feedback is very important to us.We're planning on leaving them up for private view -- meaning you can share your profile alone, if you choose to -- and remove them for public view. We'll also remove the option ASAP for Bump profile names to be shared. If you have additional concerns, please let me know. I'll get back to you shortly with an ETA for the removal.

Thanks!  

• image alithebride:

wait. i just tried it and there was only a tweet option and g+, no facebook.

by the way i never gave the nest (or knot) my real name OR the email address that i use for FB (i made a separate one for here) and I dont use FB at work (it's blocked).

middle finger to you TN.

Ali, I just clicked on your profile and I have the "Like" option for Facebook.

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 120
    Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

125 Books in 2014?
           image      image
    Lilypie - (oLVe)

• image jackiback:

This is the response from The Bump from Nest Kathleen:

Hi everyone, Just wanted to address the feedback we're getting about the Likes/+1s on profile pages. These have actually been on your profiles for two years. We haven't had complaints about them until now, but your feedback is very important to us. We're planning on leaving them up for private view -- meaning you can share your profile alone, if you choose to -- and remove them for public view. We'll also remove the option ASAP for Bump profile names to be shared.  If you have additional concerns, please let me know. I'll get back to you shortly with an ETA for the removal.

Thanks!  

WTH! No they have not!!!!