Money Matters

I am so frustrated

I'm trying to find a psychiatrist to help treat my ADD. I got referrals from my therapist - they either don't take insurance or aren't accepting new patients. I used our EAP therapist search site - again the ones I've called aren't accepting new patients. Why is this so hard? If I had a serious mental condition that left me unable to function what would I do? Or if I didn't have the means to keep trying or searching for other options? It just blows my mind that my choices seem to be pay $600 for an initial appt or get my PCP to prescribe me meds.

Something is wrong with this picture. 

Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey

Re: I am so frustrated

• Can you call your therapist and ask if there are any other options or if they could make a few phone calls for you to get into one of the doctors not taking new patients? 

I would be frustrated as well.  

• Many therapists with MSW degree will work with you on a behavioral approach to deal with your ADD.   THere is a good ADD self-help workbook (can't think of the name) - that you can even do alot on your own.

If you have not tried the behavioral approach - try it before going to meds.  Your PCP can prescribe the meds for you.

• I had a problem finding a pysch too for various reasons but now I see a psychopharmacologist.  He's not a doctor, just an NP, but my insurance pays for hour long counseling session with him to talk about meds, life, etc.  Maybe one could help you too.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimage AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• image Sisugal:

Many therapists with MSW degree will work with you on a behavioral approach to deal with your ADD.   THere is a good ADD self-help workbook (can't think of the name) - that you can even do alot on your own.

If you have not tried the behavioral approach - try it before going to meds.  Your PCP can prescribe the meds for you.

I have a therapist and therapy isn't enough unfortunately. I don't feel comfortable having my pcp prescribe the meds. 

• Do you want me to ask my PsyD for a rec? If so, email or FB me your insurance type and I can ask if he knows someone decent.

From the great mind of Violet_McPurpleson:
  • I would try your Health Insurance directory vs your EAP directory to find one that takes your insurance. Hope you can find one soon. 
  • That's pretty typcial in my area. There are a shortages of psychiatrists and they a have a schedule of of patients with severe mental health issues. They don't have time and it doesn't reimburse well from insurance to serve ADD patients. It's even worse for youths. 

I'm surprised your therapist doesn't have a realtionship with a psychiatrist or medical doctor to prescribe meds in concert with their treatment. 

I understand your hesitation, but your needs may not need to be served by a psychiatrist.  

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • I have no answers for you, but wanted to express my support for you. And to tell you, keep searching for someone/ something to help you! You'll find it eventually and it will be worth it.
    "Oh for sh!ts sake."- my 84 year old grandma. Pregnancy Ticker
  • Call the number for mental health services on the back of your insurance card, and ask for a provider who is accepting new patients.
  • I don't have any advice either, but I hope something in this thread helps.  I would be really frustrated, too.
    [:|]
  • FWIW, there are some good nurse practitioners in my area who specialize in ADD treatment. They can prescribe meds as well. That may be worth exploring fwiw.
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I can only imagine the frustration you're feeling.
  • It is ridiculous how difficult it can be to get mental health treatment. I remember having to be REALLY pushy to get an appointment with a psychiatrist when I was dealing with post partum ocd and depression. Luckily, I was in a functional enough place to be able to do that. I really worry for the more vulnerable.

I hope you get this figured out quickly and get into see someone who can help. Hugs.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ITA with checking with your insurance company rather than your EAP. You live near Denver, right? Have you checked the whole surrounding area? Even if you have to travel a bit to get to your appointment, it is better than nothing. Can you get on a waiting list somewhere that doesn't currently accept new patients? What about at a university?

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I know our country has a very broken system in general, but I guess it never occurred to me that something like ADHD would be hard to get treated. It is a fairly simple and treatable issue so it sucks that it is being so hard for you to address.

I wonder if you could have an initial appointment and pay out of pocket for that, and then have your meds monitored by a PCP?  I'm not sure if that is something that doctors actually do so I could be completely off base, just brainstorming.

• I've left a lot of messages, so hopefully something will pan out next week. I'm trying to find a NP since I think I'd be able to see them quicker. The university claims they can see you in one to two weeks usually. 

I should clarify - by EAP I meant the mental health services of our health insurance. They are kind of one and the same.  

• Unless you are on multiple medications or have a complicated health problem, a primary care doc should be able to prescribe you ADHD meds without issue. That's totally within their scope.