Cleaning & Organizing

Help! Soap Scum on shower door

We just closed on our house last weekend and spent the entire time cleaning/doing yard work. It is quite clear the previous owner never cleaned a day in her life. We have soap scum on our shower door (amazing bathroom btw), and no matter what product I use or how hard i scrub, I don't seem ot make a dent in cleaning it. Can anybody suggest a product that worked well?

Re: Help! Soap Scum on shower door

• Have you tried CLR, that might work for you.  I usually use a hand held steamer and just wipe the door down after steaming, but then again I do this on a regular basis so don't have much build up. 

• Thanks. I will definitely try that. I used a squeegee after every shower at my old house, and the door was so clean. It's frustrating moving into a house that wasn't cared for properly.
  • This happened to us and I tried every cleaner out there.  The only thing that worked was a Magic Eraser and loads of elbow grease. 
  • I use this homemade shower cleaner and it works great! 12 oz white vinegar and 12 oz dawn liquid soap, mix together in spray bottle. Spray on shower doors and I use a scrub brush to go over the are once. Rinse off and they will be squeaky clean.
  • junojuno member
    1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    We have a tiny shower, so the soap scum accumulates really fast.  A dish soap/vinegar mixture works with a lot of elbow grease, but a Magic Eraser is a lot easier for me. 
  • Dish soap, vinegar and Borox. Make a goopy paste with it, then scrub away.

"I wish I could have sparkly tits every single day of my life." --MUNI
  • I agree with magic eraser and lots of elbow grease... It is what I have found to be most effective.
    Daisypath image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Not knowing what products you have tried, we've had the best luck with scrubbing bubbles foaming bathroom cleaner.  I spray, let sit for 5 min, then wipe.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Bootsie12:
    I use this homemade shower cleaner and it works great! 12 oz white vinegar and 12 oz dawn liquid soap, mix together in spray bottle. Spray on shower doors and I use a scrub brush to go over the are once. Rinse off and they will be squeaky clean.

I did this, and it works so well! I let mine sit for about two hours, and it looks great now. I heated up 1/2 cup white vinegar, then added it to 1/2 cup of Blue Dawn, and sprayed it all over the shower. Looks great!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Totally random but I read somewhere that fabric softener sheets will take off soap scum. I tried it recently (with a used sheet even) and it worked like a charm. You just have to make sure and really rinse the glass well afterwards or it will be streaky.
  • ~NB~~NB~ member
    5000 Comments Combo Breaker
    Spray it with ScrubFree.
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Magic Eraser.  Really is magical!  I clean our shower - SCRUB it with Tilex.  Then I use the Magic Eraser and I am appalled at what comes up.  New construction and we clean the shower at LEAST once a week - Magic Eraser is awesome.  You have to push hard and really scrub it though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker