Travel

Last-minute Budapest & Hungary restaurant recs?

Leaving tomorrow for a week in Hungary, and I'm compiling a list of restaurants to check out. We'll spend some time in Budapest, a few days in Villany, and maybe head elsewhere (possibly Eger, but I think I prefer the wines from Villany).

Also, any recs for baths in Budapest? There are so many that it's hard to choose! 

Re: Last-minute Budapest & Hungary restaurant recs?

• I highly highly recommend doing a wine tasting at Faust Wine Cellars.  They are located down literally in the old cellars beneath the Hilton in Buda (make sure to bring a sweater for the cellar).  It was such a great experience and with only three tables in the entire place you get very personal service from the sommelier.  After we did our wine tasting we ate at Hunyadi Etterem, which is about a 15 minute walk down through the Castle District- a beautiful walk at night!  They had good hearty, traditional Hungarian dishes.
  • Honestly, the best food we had in Budapest was from the food stalls in the upstairs of the Market Hall. It's a fun atmosphere and the food was fantastic.

We stumbled onto Kuskakukk (it was down the street from the flat we rented) www.kiskakukk.hu - it was really yummy, really great Hungarian food and super friendly service. I actually grabbed a card from them so I could remember to recommend them in future.

Have fun!

TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks, Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can check out my blog posts here

But in summary:The Szechenyi baths is where all the locals hang out and is pretty cool to people watch on a Saturday morning

Food:

Gerbeaud Cafe - its expensive but was in every book based around Budapest

Great markets - upstairs has like a "fast food" stall

Koleves - traditional Hungarian food

M Restaurant - Translyvanian food

Klub Feszek - local club, kind like a an Aust RSL but better

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
  • Gellert

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm so jealous you are going to Budapest - I was there in July 2010 and it is one of my favorite cities in the world.  The food in Budapest was so delicious and relatively cheap.  I have some restaurant recommendations for Budapest in my blog.  Here's the link to my posts about Hungary if you want some ideas: http://www.surroundedbythesound.com/?cat=33.  You may want to check out  http://www.spottedbylocals.com/budapest/  and http://www.chew.hu/ - I found good tips there.  As for baths, I went to the Szechenyi baths when we were there, and it was a really neat experience.  We also went to Eger, but only briefly due to travel complications.  Have fun!
  • image PittPurple:

Honestly, the best food we had in Budapest was from the food stalls in the upstairs of the Market Hall. It's a fun atmosphere and the food was fantastic.

Don't forget to buy doilies!

Doily Market Hall is what I call that place.  So...many....doilies.

• I will second the recommendation to eat on the upper level of the market hall. We had delicious goulash there for really cheap. It was a perfect lunch while we were walking around and sight seeing.

We also had a wonderful dinner at the Bock Bisztro. The food was good, not too pricy, and there was live music. Here is the link to reviews on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274887-d811480-Reviews-Bock_Bistro-Budapest.html ;