Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How far to you ride for a bike ride to "count"?

I'm taking a 2 week hiatus from running (and praying my calf will finally heal) and a friend is letting me borrow a bike. I don't think I've ever had a bike other than a beach cruiser, I now this is a "regular" bike. So how far/ hard/ fast/ long do you have to bike ride for it to count as exercise? Or cardio? I don't have a gym membership, so no spinning classes. 

Otherwise, I'm walking. I'm open to other suggestions for cardio as well. Thanks :) 

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]

Re: How far to you ride for a bike ride to "count"?

• I usually ride 5-7 miles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Kelly has read 5 books toward her goal of 100 books.
    hide
  • image MayFlowers22:
    I usually ride 5-7 miles.

I could do that 

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]
  • Do you have a heart rate monitor? If so, use that to decide how hard you are working, then do a time-based ride. Alternatively, do a time-based ride by perceived level of effort.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• I'm outside the norm. Any ride counts, but for my training it's:

Recovery Ride (Super easy): 60 minutes, about 12-15 miles

Weekday Training Ride (after work, limited time, usually a hard effort like a group ride or intervals): 90-120+ minutes, 20-30+ miles

Weekend Road Ride: Minimum 40 miles, time varies depending on terrain, group, goals.(ie 40 miles in the mountains may be 3.5 hours, but my usual Sat. 40 mile loop of rolling hills is under 2.5 hours)

Weekend Mountain Bike Ride: Minimum 20 miles,  time varies depending on terrain/trail, group/by myself

• As far as I'm concerned, any exercise "counts" LOL I'm usually on a time crunch though and eek out between 5-7 miles and that usually takes me approximately 30 minutes. I try to ride where I know there will be a good amount of hills instead of just all flat and residential.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • During my cross country training when we had hours goals to meet, we were allowed to count 50-75%, depending effort level, as training hours.
    ~2012 Races~
    American Birkenbeiner - 50K Ski 3:19:00
    Davenport St. Patrick's Day Fun Run - 5K 21:58
    UIVA Warrior Challenge - 5K 22:06
    Iowa City River Run - 10K 44:37 PR!
    Green Bay Marathon 5/20/12
  • since bike races tend to be 4x longer than running races (ie, 25 miles vs 6 miles in a olympic triathlon, 56 miles vs 13  miles in a half ironman) i guess i figure 4 miles on the bike = 1 mile running.   not that it REALLY works out that way but i do feel like a 20 mile ride takes as much work as a 5 mile run.  of course just like running, i can make that workout harder or easier by changing my speed.
    Training blogTwins and Triathlons

Post Partum PRs:
    5k: 18:32; 5k with stroller: 20:32; Half Mary: 1:32:40; Oly tri: 2:28:52; sprint tri (750meter swim): 1:11:49

Up Next:
    Breaking all my PRs[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt3205c.aspx[/img][/url]
  • any ride where my average speed is 15mph or over is a good workout for me.  I'm keeping a good cadence of about 75 or so and that feels nice and sustainable to be.