Trouble in Paradise

Just curious.....

How depressed would you be to find out tha your coworker's MOTHER was born in 1970?  Maybe this explains why she thinks anyone 30 or older is too old to have a baby.  She is 21.  It shouldn't bother me, but it made me want to crawl under a desk.

Re: Just curious.....

• Probably as depressed as I was, when my little sister asked me "what are the smurfs?Crying
    Anniversary

• image cmeinla:
    Probably as depressed as I was, when my little sister asked me "what are the smurfs?Crying

LOL!  That is depressing too!

• image cmeinla:
    Probably as depressed as I was, when my little sister asked me "what are the smurfs?Crying

Hahaha, that would depress me too! 

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • srgwsrgw
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its

I guess my mom (born in 1950) was too old to have my twin sister & I when she was 35 years old then. Your 21 year old coworker is only 5 years younger than me. She embarrasses me on behalf of all 20 something adults.

• Let's see, I was born in 1969 and this year is 25 years since I graduated high school. 

I could totally have a 21 yr old and I wouldn't have had him right out of high school.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • imoanimoan
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments

Just as depressed as I was when my 23 year old coworker told me that he knew The Beatles consisted of "Ringo Starr, Paul McCarthy... and I don't know who the other two are".  When I said John Lennon and George Harrison, he said he THOUGHT he had heard of John Lennon once, but had never heard of George Harrison.

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • image imoan:

Just as depressed as I was when my 23 year old coworker told me that he knew The Beatles consisted of "Ringo Starr, Paul McCarthy... and I don't know who the other two are".  When I said John Lennon and George Harrison, he said he THOUGHT he had heard of John Lennon once, but had never heard of George Harrison.

He got Ringo Starr and not John Lennon? Weird.

Why does it depress you that your co-worker's mom was born in 1970? I don't get it.

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns
  • imoanimoan
    image Muddled:
    image imoan:

He got Ringo Starr and not John Lennon? Weird.

Why does it depress you that your co-worker's mom was born in 1970? I don't get it.

I know Muddled.

And I get it... because it means her coworkers MOM isn't that much older than her. 

• ::Shrug::

I've worked with plenty of people my parents' age and older. They've been bosses. They've been equals. They've been counterparts. My parents work with people my age. I didn't think it was so uncommon to have a mix in the workplace. Am I wrong?

I agree with everything that muddled said. You should listen to her. -ESDReturns
  • image Muddled:

::Shrug::

I've worked with plenty of people my parents' age and older. They've been bosses. They've been equals. They've been counterparts. My parents work with people my age. I didn't think it was so uncommon to have a mix in the workplace. Am I wrong?

I'm with you...I don't get it either.  It's a little weird when I have to work with someone close to my son's age, but they are usually high school co-ops or college interns, so it's pretty obvious they are only here because they are getting credit for working.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • image Muddled:

I don't get it either. Especially considering I am young at my workplace. Most people were actually working at my workplace when I was born and I often have no idea what they reference when they talk about some TV shows or music. There is a few people who are in my age group, but not many.

• I like being right in the middle age-wise where I work.  There are just as many people older than me as there are younger than me and a fair amount within a few years of my age.

I remember being one of the youngest ones at work and looking back, I must have looked really young and naive to my older co-workers.  In the last few years I've finally started to feel like I'm respected more because of my age (and the fact that I've been working here for 15 1/2 yrs).  Yes, I should have been respected prior to that because of my knowledge of the business, but I worked with a lot of older men and it's hard to gain respect with them.  Most of them have retired now, so it's a lot better.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • image Mortomo:
    image Muddled:

I'm with you...I don't get it either.  It's a little weird when I have to work with someone close to my son's age, but they are usually high school co-ops or college interns, so it's pretty obvious they are only here because they are getting credit for working.

You get a pass since your son hasn't graduated from high school yet.

How old are you, Julie? In your 30s, right?

• imoanimoan

I don't think that she's weirded out per say... just  the fact that it makes her feel old.  I totally get it.  Yes, of COURSE there is a mix at work.  But for the longest time, you're the youngest and you're used to not being ANYWHERE NEAR the age of any of your coworker's moms.  Sometimes, realizing that you're not that much younger than a coworker's mom is the first "a-ha!" moment about your age.

I don't think it's a commentary on anything more than "I realize I'm getting older".  It's like when speaking to a person you see as an adult who was born in the 90s.  That's always a "THE FOOK?!" moment for me. 

• image imoan:

I don't think that she's weirded out per say... just  the fact that it makes her feel old.  I totally get it.  Yes, of COURSE there is a mix at work.  But for the longest time, you're the youngest and you're used to not being ANYWHERE NEAR the age of any of your coworker's moms.  Sometimes, realizing that you're not that much younger than a coworker's mom is the first "a-ha!" moment about your age.

I don't think it's a commentary on anything more than "I realize I'm getting older".  It's like when speaking to a person you see as an adult who was born in the 90s.  That's always a "THE FOOK?!" moment for me. 

Exactly this.  Thanks for the summary imoan.  I was born in 1974.  I am a bit sensitive since I just had a bday. March 24.  I am 38.  My coworker's mom is 4 years older than me.  Get me a rocking chair and knitting needles now.  I like my job in general but it gets in the way of nesting.... darn responsibilities... lol!