International Nesties

Italian ladies or anyone who's been to a wedding reception in Positano

DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary in Positano in September with a vow renewal. We are looking for somewhere to have a little reception after the ceremony.

I had my heart set on La Sponda at the Sirenuse but they don't answer their emails.

o own it, so it's not an unbiased suggestion. I emailed Caffe Positano and they indicated availability. I later read the reviews on tripadvisor and there were some recurring themes running through the negative reviews. No one though had had a wedding reception there. The photos of it decorated for a wedding reception look beautiful.

This photo is of the Caffe Positano. It was recommended by our hotel. I later read though, that they own it, so it's hardly an unbiased recommendation. Has anyone been there for a reception?

The trip advisor reviews are reasonably good for Caffe Positano but they have similar themes in their negative reviews. No one mentions a wedding reception there. If you have been there for a wedding reception - what was the food like? Service? Was there any music?

We want somewhere with amazing views, great food and variety of food (as my mother doesn't eat seafood), great atmosphere, nicely decorated, maybe some music (I know there are issues with music at receptions in Positano). 

Any advice/recomendations, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Italian ladies or anyone who's been to a wedding reception in Positano

• Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any feedback on the restaurants you mentioned. I was just looking at both their websites and IMO La Sponda is much more appropriate for your event. The atmosphere and decor seem more elegant; I would consider the Caff? for a more relaxed day-after lunch, maybe. 

You mentioned not being able to contact La Sponda, I can call for you and ask if they take phone reservations, if you want. I'm Italian so it would take me just a minute to get an answer.

The only restaurant with a view I know in the area is the one at the Hotel Rufolo, in Ravello. I've been there years ago but I'm sure the surroundings are still as beautiful. Ravello isn't Positano so you'd still get a beautiful view, just not a sheer drop on the coast. 

• Hi,

Thank you for your very kind and generous offer. I'll send you a PM.

• Hi,

check your PMs when you get a chance :)

• We've had lunch at Caffe Positano.  We sat outside (tiny tables, but great view) but as I remember the inside didn't really have a view.  It's sort of like going down into Positano the tables are virtually on the shoulder far right of the road.  The restaurant is physically across the street (mind you it's a tiny street but still) on the left.  I imagine you can see the water from inside but it's not like the dining room is directly overlooking the ocean, if that makes sense.

As for food-- fine, to be honest I don't remember the meal in detail, but again, we weren't at a reception or anything formal (just having a quick bite outside).  I'm not a huge fan of seafood either and I'm sure I ate something, so they must have had a bistecca or something.  I do remember a really yummy mozzarella and grilled lemon leaf app-- very tasty.  Haven't been back to Positano since last fall (prefer Ravello and, for ease of driving, Vietri), but we probably will try to head down some time later in April, if you'd like any recon :)!