Health & Fitness

Run before or after weight lifting?

I never know when to do my cardio. I currently run 30 mins before my 1 hour weight lifting routine. I lift 3 times a week M,W,F and do Hot Yoga for an hour on Tuesdays and play indoor soccer on Thursdays.

I feel that I am not getting enough cardio in my routine. I also feel that it doesnt count since I am not running after weight lifting. My goal is fat loss.

Can you please tell me in order to lose fat should I run after lifting? I tried that today and I could only run for a mile - my knees were killing me and I had no energy.  

Thanks!

Re: Run before or after weight lifting?

• I really don't think it matters.  Its more of a preference/performance thing.
    My home office. Joeyzlovieg's hubby made it for me. I love it!
  • I don't really know if there is a huge benefit in doing one before the other, there may be, but in my opinion, if you can run first and then have no trouble lifting afterwards, then you should stick with that.  As long as you get both of them in, I think that's really all that matters.

Can you add some cardio on Tuesdays if you want to get more, or what about Saturday or Sunday?  You should have at least one off day, but you can definitely squeeze some more in somewhere.

• Definitely run before weight-lifting, it's a good warmup. If you're lifting heavy weights, there's no way you can run after (I can't when I lift heavy, at most a short jog to stay loose). What lifts are you doing? I'm concerned about your knees hurting, that shouldn't happen. Any hurting that goes beyond general soreness means you're doing something wrong, whether it's bad form or too many reps or too heavy too soon.

It sounds like you're doing a good workout on every weekday - do you run on the weekends too? I'm trying to lose fat too, and I have found that I can't take days off of exercising, because I will eat the same number of calories even though I didn't burn extra (I try to eat less, but I get so hungry I can't do it). 

• I run before I lift.
    Karen 7.28.07

Running on the Rhode

I hate you very much
  • image JW28:

Definitely run before weight-lifting, it's a good warmup. If you're lifting heavy weights, there's no way you can run after (I can't when I lift heavy, at most a short jog to stay loose). What lifts are you doing? I'm concerned about your knees hurting, that shouldn't happen. Any hurting that goes beyond general soreness means you're doing something wrong, whether it's bad form or too many reps or too heavy too soon.

It sounds like you're doing a good workout on every weekday - do you run on the weekends too? I'm trying to lose fat too, and I have found that I can't take days off of exercising, because I will eat the same number of calories even though I didn't burn extra (I try to eat less, but I get so hungry I can't do it). 

Thank you for your responses all. I can certainly add some more running on weekends. I am 5 2 , weight 119 but have 27% body fat! so I really need to get in shape soon.

I do Legs(not heavy) and Shoulders on Monday

Chest and Back on Wednesday

Arms and Legs(heavy) on Fridays.

I am not lifting heavy heavy since I am so new to working out. This is my second month. I sometimes run or alternate with the stair climber.

Any additional advice will be helpful. Thanks!

• You should lift before you run.

If you run first, your legs will be fatigued and it can cause your form for lifting to be off, which could cause injuries.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I run first because I like to do it that way.  I don't think there's a reason in terms of fat loss to do one before the other.  The only concern would be what Brie said about fatigue, especially if you're fairly new to lifting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • I run before I lift.  I am usually fatigued after lifting and have a crappy run.
    My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've read in several places that you should lift and then run. Can't remember specific sources but you can google and probably find a plethora of varying answers. But I remember it being something about you kinda jump start your metabolism and you will burn more calories during your cardio workout if it is after lifting.

Again, not an expert just have read a few blurbs about it here and there.

• I lift then do cardio,my trainer encouraged me to try it that way so your muscles are at their least fatigued and then finish off with cardio....I have been doing this for a year now and like it, my body adjusted pretty quickly and I feel like I am stronger for lifting.
  • I usually do ~1 mile warm-up before lifting. Then I'll finish my workout with another ~2 miles or so after I lift. I like getting in a cardio warm-up and then a short run to to shake out my muscles after I lift. Then I get in close to 30 min or cardio on my lifting days.  

imageimage