Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

So 2 half marathons in 2 days

I am crazy, I know, but I'm really considering doing this at the end of May- a half on Saturday and another on Sunday. I am comfortable with the half distance, and i won't be "racing" either race, but they are both important to me. So I have a question about training. 

Would you train more for a full marathon at this point, as it is essentially marathon distance?  I usually run 10-12 miles on the weekend easily (and then go home and take my dogs for a jog or hike), so upping my weekly long run milage? Practice doing back to back long runs- like Saturday and Sunday? I run most days of the week (dogs don't fully understand 'rest' days, but shorter and longer distances), including speed intervals, some hill repeats, and will begin track workouts again this week (thanks, daylight savings time!). I'm trying to make sure to do at least some strength training each week, yoga a few times, hiking, and I'm thinking of joining a gym to go swimming. 

I'm not a super fast runner, or trying to necessarily PR, but I would like to be strong enough to do both runs if possible.  Day 1 in hilly, Day 2 is pretty flat.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]

Re: So 2 half marathons in 2 days

• One my friends just did this. He was training for the RnR DC marathon and then got into the NYC Half. So he stepped down from the RnR marathon to the half and ran both halves. I am not sure what he did with his training, but I suggested doing back-to-back long runs (whatever a half marathon plan would call for) and not follow a marathon training plan. He did not race either race but still did well in both. He ran the second one a few minutes faster, as he had planned to do.
    Karen 7.28.07

Running on the Rhode

I hate you very much
  • Depends on how well you recover.  I have learned that I don't recover well enough to do something like this.

Last fall, I ran 2 in 7 days and the second one was a horrible experience.  My body just didn't have anything left.

Other people will do fine though so good luck!

• 13 miles - a full day and night of rest - 13 miles is NOT the same as 26 miles.  at all.  so i wouldnt train for it like a marathon because its not.  sorta like if you were training for a marathon, you wouldnt run 10 miles sat and 10 miles sunday and call it a 20 mile run.

i suppose i would do back to back training days but honestly the thought makes me nervous because i think doing back to back long runs would make me injured.

i would probably approach it with a slow long run saturday, and then sunday do a bike ride followed by a few miles at race pace.   

Training blogTwins and Triathlons

Post Partum PRs:
    5k: 18:32; 5k with stroller: 20:32; Half Mary: 1:32:40; Oly tri: 2:28:52; sprint tri (750meter swim): 1:11:49

Up Next:
    Breaking all my PRs[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt3205c.aspx[/img][/url]
  • I had a friend who did this (he is a marathoner). he said the second one sucked really bad. He thought he would have no problem bc he is a marathoner, but he said it was really different.

I did 2 half marathons in 6 days and my body did not enjoy it at all. So I wouldnt do two back to back. 

imageimageimage
  • I'm thinking about doing this in December.  Not sure how I'll approach it yet.

I did 2 in 8 days a few weeks ago (as part of 4 HM's in 36 days) and it wasn't too terribly hard for me.  I wasn't racing either one of them.

• I did 2 in 7 days and I actually was surprised at how good I felt for my second one. I also am not "racing" and my first was pretty slow, but, I PR my second one.

I would see how two long runs in a row felt before deciding...like 8-10 miles? But just watch for over doing it!  and which one's are you thinking? The only Sat half I know coming up is Hollywood...you doing that one?

ETA: Nevermind! I see that it is at the end of May your considering this! Hollywood is in a few weeks :) 

2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • image stinkerbell6879:

I did 2 in 7 days and I actually was surprised at how good I felt for my second one. I also am not "racing" and my first was pretty slow, but, I PR my second one.

I would see how two long runs in a row felt before deciding...like 8-10 miles? But just watch for over doing it!  and which one's are you thinking? The only Sat half I know coming up is Hollywood...you doing that one?

ETA: Nevermind! I see that it is at the end of May your considering this! Hollywood is in a few weeks :) 

it's the Palos Verdes half and the Pasadena half.

I guess I will try slowly starting to add some back to back easy longer runs, but not racing them either, just to see how well I recover. Quite a few times I have done a 12 mile run, a jog or hike later in the day, and then a 6 mile run the next day, and felt totally fine (the second run was intended to be a "recovery run" and just felt good, so i just kept going). 

I don't want to over train and injure myself, but I'd like to know if this is something I can reasonably work towards in the next 2 months. If not, I won't be super disappointed if I do a 5 or 10K the day day, or just end up cheering. But everyone needs a goal, right?

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]