Decorating & Renovating

How important is bullnose tile to finish a shower?

We're undergoing a major remodel of our shower because of wood rot/moisture issues. My first instinct is that the shower does not have to have bullnose to look "finished" but I'm worried it will look incomplete if we don't use it.

We are doing 12x12 travertine brick style for the lower 6ft. A mosaic border of marble for 3-6inches. (I haven't decided how much). And capping the top 2 ft with 4x6 travertine also brick style.

What say ye d&r.

Re: How important is bullnose tile to finish a shower?

• I don't like the edge of tile where you can see the grout/mastic behind it.  I would finish it in some way - a pencil edge, bullnose, or aluminum/SS flashing.  We used a pencil edge in our master bath shower and the SS flashing in the basement bath.  Photos in my blog under our home.
  • I agree you need to finish it with something or it will look like crap.  Bullnose is often the cheapest of the options even though it seems like a lot.  Most of your tile budget will be in the accent tile and trim pieces.  Use less accent tile to pay for the bullnose/pencil linear/metal edging. 
  • I agree with pp's that you need something to finish the edges or it will look very DIY and incomplete. We used bullnose to finish both of our showers when we recently re-did them. In one, we used regular 3x6 bullnose (the same size as the tile). In the other bathroom, the bullnose is 3x13.

image image image
  • Schluter makes a metal finishing edge which can be used in place of bullnose. Available at Home Depot.
  • The raw edge of a piece of tile looks pretty crappy. We went with a pencil edge piece because there was not a coordinating bullnose for our tile. It doesn't need it at the top, just at the side where it ends.

I guess the exception would be if all your edges end into a corner. The raw edge would be hidden that way and you wouldn't need edge pieces.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• image Sally J:
    I don't like the edge of tile where you can see the grout/mastic behind it.  I would finish it in some way - a pencil edge, bullnose, or aluminum/SS flashing.  We used a pencil edge in our master bath shower and the SS flashing in the basement bath.  Photos in my blog under our home.

No comments on the topic, but I looked at your blog.  Everything is absolutely beautiful!  I could have looked at those seller photos and probably walked away.  Do you want to just come and remodel my house, now?  Smile

• image Sue/Mike:

image Sally J:
    I don't like the edge of tile where you can see the grout/mastic behind it.  I would finish it in some way - a pencil edge, bullnose, or aluminum/SS flashing.  We used a pencil edge in our master bath shower and the SS flashing in the basement bath.  Photos in my blog under our home.

No comments on the topic, but I looked at your blog.  Everything is absolutely beautiful!  I could have looked at those seller photos and probably walked away.  Do you want to just come and remodel my house, now?  Smile

Aw, thanks!  I need to finish taking photos of the other areas in our house.  We've finished so  many other rooms and I've been so lazy!

You know the sellers photos were crazy traditional and not appealing at all.  When we showed up to the house it was more or less a blank canvas, with neutral walls and floors.  We could definitely see all the potential and I have loved seeing how everything is coming together.