Married Life

Ugh- Teens and Facebook

I had an incident in work today and they just don't get it. They just don't get that what they put on there does not go away. I wish they would just get how much it could affect their future. 

Re: Ugh- Teens and Facebook

• i take it you're a teacher?

what was the incident?

• Counselor. They were just saying and doiing very inappropriate things and posting about it.
  • image leslie14:
    Counselor. They were just saying and doiing very inappropriate things and posting about it.

ugh. 

i don't get why they do this either.

my son and his (ex) girlfriend last year were bullied by a kid over facebook. well, actually, the guy said it to his girlfriend (noah doesnt have fb), but it was about both him and her.

and, duh! she took a screenshot and her mom took it to the school resource officer. 

not that this is the same thing, but i'm trying to relate.

• yes I monitor both my brother and sisters fb for stupid sh!t they post

so far sister is the dumb one between the two

• image saraandmichael:

image leslie14:
    Counselor. They were just saying and doiing very inappropriate things and posting about it.

ugh. 

i don't get why they do this either.

my son and his (ex) girlfriend last year were bullied by a kid over facebook. well, actually, the guy said it to his girlfriend (noah doesnt have fb), but it was about both him and her.

and, duh! she took a screenshot and her mom took it to the school resource officer. 

not that this is the same thing, but i'm trying to relate.

Almost every incident in school goes back to Facebook or a text 

• I have tried to school my younger siblings on the dangers and permanence of posting stupid shyt on FB.  They just don't care.  I don't know.  They should all still be on myspace anyway.
    Shot first, questions later.
  • DDs' high school now has a FB policy written into the extracurricular contract they sign to participate in sports or clubs.  If the athletic director or principal gets proof of inappropriate behavior posted on FB, the student will be disciplined (up to removal from the team or club). 
    image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image LesPaul:
    DDs' high school now has a FB policy written into the extracurricular contract they sign to participate in sports or clubs.  If the athletic director or principal gets proof of inappropriate behavior posted on FB, the student will be disciplined (up to removal from the team or club). 

I like this! I think this is a great way for kids to learn there are consequences for what they put on the internet. 

I have a 16 year old brother and I check in on him via Facebook. When he first created his page I did suggest he leave a few groups he had joined - such as the "Communist Group Of *insert hometown*"  that a friend of his made. There was a status he had written about our parents that I suggested he delete before our dad saw it (he has a FB, too).

• image LesPaul:
    DDs' high school now has a FB policy written into the extracurricular contract they sign to participate in sports or clubs.  If the athletic director or principal gets proof of inappropriate behavior posted on FB, the student will be disciplined (up to removal from the team or club). 

this is great!

• Ugh.  I had to de-friend my 14 year old cousin because she had statuses that went along the lines of "at family planning, TxT mE" and "Making mah dad get me a new laptop since I smashed mine when I got pIsSeD at him!" and various mean-spirited things aimed at hurting her peers.  It was ridiculous.

Honestly, I wish they would raise the age requirement to 18.  I know kids would get around it, but at least maybe some parents would keep better watch over what their kids are doing on there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't know this kid or this monkey, but their side-eyes are strong.

• DD & 2 kids got called into the counselors office last year for arguing and being generally rude to each other on facebook.  her ex BFF had started problems with another kid so DD called her out on it.  Mean messaging ensued.  Funny thing is that the other girl had gone in whining when it had been she who started the whole thing.  Freaking teenagers!
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you. My Blog