Money Matters

Confession. We made a poor mm decision this weekend.

We have a 2010 honda accord. Prior to that we had a 2001 Saab 9-3 hatchback. We had a love hate relationship with the Saab for 10 years. Thought we'd be happy to move on. Well, we miss it. So we're trading in a 2010 accord for a 2009 Saab 9-3 sedan. And it's trade in plus $4k. And Saab is extinct. Gag. Totally an emotional and irrational decision.

I feel like Gob. " I have made a terrible mistake" 

Re: Confession. We made a poor mm decision this weekend.

• My H had a few Saab hatchbacks before he met me and loved them all, even though they could be a pain if anything went wrong.

Objectively, our latest car decision was pretty stupid and non-MM too, but I'm still thrilled with our Mini Cooper anyway. Enjoy your Saab. :)

• How do you feel about it now - are you excited to have a Saab back, or would you get out of this deal if you could?  It's ok to make non-MM decisions if can afford them.  Money doesn't always have to be the top priority.

As for Saab being extinct, if you live in a decent-sized city, there should be plenty of mechanics that will be able to service your car for as long as you have it.

But is it that you missed the Saab itself, or that you didn't like moving from a 'luxury' car to a 'regular' one?  Did you try any other models? Audi, BMW etc.?

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • You do know that with Saab being extinct there are no more parts being made for it correct?  This isn't like Saturn going under and the parts being interchangable with other cars/brands that were made by the same parent company. It's not a matter of having mechanics work on it, it is a matter of if you expect to drive this car for another 10 years at some point you will have to pay to have parts custom machined and that can be outragously expensive.
  • I believe you can cancel any contract in Mass within 72 hours. Or is it 48? But if you don't have the car in your possession, you can probably get out of it.

I don't think its a good move because it will be hard to find parts. If oyu don't like the accord, pick a different car for sure - but don't do the saab. 

imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • Oh no, you were so excited about this yesterday, LOL!  I mentioned it to DH last night, btw, and he looked into it this morning.   His response: Saabs are expensive!

I don't remember when you said you actually bought it, but maybe do what amamba suggests and see if you can get out of it?

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • image dexteroni:

How do you feel about it now - are you excited to have a Saab back, or would you get out of this deal if you could?  It's ok to make non-MM decisions if can afford them.  Money doesn't always have to be the top priority.

As for Saab being extinct, if you live in a decent-sized city, there should be plenty of mechanics that will be able to service your car for as long as you have it.

But is it that you missed the Saab itself, or that you didn't like moving from a 'luxury' car to a 'regular' one?  Did you try any other models? Audi, BMW etc.?

Honestly, we missed the Saab. I guess we never really thought about it as being a luxury car. But it was definitely fun to drive. We went with the accord because I loved my civic. But the new accords are huge. We figured that was ok since we have 2 kids but it's still bigger than we need. And, well, we missed our old car.  

We know parts could be an issue, but many of them are manufactured by GM and will still be obtainable. The dealership claims they will continue to service saabs, which is likely considering the owner of the dealership, also, owns a couple others including where we bought the accord. And it still has 1.5yr left on the warranty, plus we will buy an extended. And like you said, if push comes to shove, Boston is big enough that there are saab exclusive autoshops and parts around. 

It's a total gamble, I admit. And probably a bad one. But we are really excited to have a saab again.

• image Rock-n-Voll:

Oh no, you were so excited about this yesterday, LOL!  I mentioned it to DH last night, btw, and he looked into it this morning.   His response: Saabs are expensive!

I don't remember when you said you actually bought it, but maybe do what amamba suggests and see if you can get out of it?

Ha! No we're still excited :) But realize it's not nearly as sensible as an Accord. And they used to be expensive, but now they're dying to get rid of them at a pretty steep discount. 

• Meh, as far as parts go, a lot of parts can be salvaged from trashed/totaled cars, which still exist. I wouldn't worry too much about Saab being extinct.
    **formerly guaca*molly!**
  • image liveintheville:

Ha! No we're still excited :) But realize it's not nearly as sensible as an Accord. And they used to be expensive, but now they're dying to get rid of them at a pretty steep discount. 

Ah, well in that case just enjoy it!

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • image liveintheville:
    image dexteroni:

How do you feel about it now - are you excited to have a Saab back, or would you get out of this deal if you could?  It's ok to make non-MM decisions if can afford them.  Money doesn't always have to be the top priority.

Honestly, we missed the Saab. I guess we never really thought about it as being a luxury car. But it was definitely fun to drive. We went with the accord because I loved my civic. But the new accords are huge. We figured that was ok since we have 2 kids but it's still bigger than we need. And, well, we missed our old car.  

We know parts could be an issue, but many of them are manufactured by GM and will still be obtainable. The dealership claims they will continue to service saabs, which is likely considering the owner of the dealership, also, owns a couple others including where we bought the accord. And it still has 1.5yr left on the warranty, plus we will buy an extended. And like you said, if push comes to shove, Boston is big enough that there are saab exclusive autoshops and parts around. 

It's a total gamble, I admit. And probably a bad one. But we are really excited to have a saab again.

Then I think you'll be fine. I also would not be concerned about parts - they don't all go "poof" once the company shuts down.  The mechanic will be able to find them.  And if/when they stop being available, that's when it's time to look for a different car.  But hopefully that will be far enough in the future that you can get years of enjoyment out of your car.

Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • Oh my.  I was so happy to see our Saab go.  I loved driving it but that thing was the biggest money suck.  We did have a local mechanic that specialized in Saabs (and he had a Saab graveyard on his property), but it still cost us a fortune to keep going.  Oh and it stranded dh on the highway 2 hours from home once, can't forget that! 

Good luck to you!

• image PinkPiano:

Oh my.  I was so happy to see our Saab go.  I loved driving it but that thing was the biggest money suck.  We did have a local mechanic that specialized in Saabs (and he had a Saab graveyard on his property), but it still cost us a fortune to keep going.  Oh and it stranded dh on the highway 2 hours from home once, can't forget that! 

Good luck to you!

Our concern was mostly it was a time suck. It needed little repairs often but they were always covered under our warranty. All our cars are manual and the accord wasn't fun to drive as such. But the saab shifts so much more smoothly.

• image 2beJessieD:
    You do know that with Saab being extinct there are no more parts being made for it correct?  This isn't like Saturn going under and the parts being interchangable with other cars/brands that were made by the same parent company. It's not a matter of having mechanics work on it, it is a matter of if you expect to drive this car for another 10 years at some point you will have to pay to have parts custom machined and that can be outragously expensive.

I have a Saab 9-7x.  Since they were last owned by GM, I am able to get it serviced and get all parts from any GM dealership.  Not sure if that applies to the 9-3 as well.  Also, they are not longer "extinct".  There are several new dealerships opening in my area, they were purchased last year by a Dutch auto company.

• I did something similar last fall.  Traded in a 2009 Toyota Sienna for a Buick Enclave.  The Toyota really sucked.  Never had any problems with it but it had a cheaply made interior and horribly uncomfortable seats.  I couldn't get those things from a test drive.  Spent about 15K more for the  Buick but I LOVE my car.  We did get only about 3 k less for trade in  than we paid for the toyota originally
  • Well if you love it, that is what matters. Enjoy the new car! :)
    imageimage
    Trains Across America
    Would you like to buy my condo in Salem?