Decorating & Renovating

where to buy floating shelves?

I don't mean the small ones that look like molding, but a basic rectangular type shelf that would run the whole length of a wall (like 4-8 ft long)? Would I have to have someone build this or do you think they sell them somewhere? 

Re: where to buy floating shelves?

• Ikea?  The LACK shelves?  Don't know how long they run, but you could but two against each other.
  • image dr.girlfriend:
    Ikea?  The LACK shelves?  Don't know how long they run, but you could but two against each other.

That's the style I'm looking for...but I was thinking of painting them the same color as the wall so I guess I really need someone to build them for me b/c I probably can't paint over most premade shelves... 

• image groovygrl:

image dr.girlfriend:
    Ikea?  The LACK shelves?  Don't know how long they run, but you could but two against each other.

That's the style I'm looking for...but I was thinking of painting them the same color as the wall so I guess I really need someone to build them for me b/c I probably can't paint over most premade shelves... 

I have painted over them.  I have used gel stain over them too...not at the same time...different shelves.

I used primer first.  It worked really well.

• image groovygrl:

image dr.girlfriend:

Sure you can.  Just prime and paint. 

• Pottery Barn has larger floating shelves and I find the PB ones to be higher quality compared to the target ones. Regardless, if you are putting up long floating shelves you better hope your walls are true and straight (not bowing in or anything). I had several floating shelves on my walls and the larger 4 ft ones wouldn't hang right because my house was slapped together by contractors and consequently the walls bow in a bit in spots.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    image image image
  • image Mrs.Christie:
    Pottery Barn has larger floating shelves and I find the PB ones to be higher quality compared to the target ones. Regardless, if you are putting up long floating shelves you better hope your walls are true and straight (not bowing in or anything). I had several floating shelves on my walls and the larger 4 ft ones wouldn't hang right because my house was slapped together by contractors and consequently the walls bow in a bit in spots.

ugh good point. another reason maybe I should just be having someone do it for me. or find an alternative plan ;)