Politics & Current Events

***IMPORTANT MOD ANNOUNCEMENT***

The boards are changing over to a new format this week and the next!

I now have the power to ban everyone who I don't like. mwah ha ha ha! I will take bribes. ;op

But no, really, I can now ban users and delete posts ONLY on boards where I am a moderator, and only if they are clearly spam or outrageously offensive. I solemnly swear not to go rogue mod.

If you want to see what the new format looks like, the local boards have already changed over. 

Questions? Cookies? 

ETA: THEY WILL BE REMOVING THE FB AND TWITTER FEATURES!

Re: ***IMPORTANT MOD ANNOUNCEMENT***

• I checked out the local boards. Can we no longer sort posts? I like having control over how I view the board.
  • If we are unable to sort by reply, this board will be nearly useless. 
  • What day is it happening?  I am close to getting platinum but on the local boards I am only silver.  Crying
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimage AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• Yep, the power has gone to your head.

When will the switch occur?  ie will it be during normal US business hours like they normally do?

• image notquiteblushing:
    What day is it happening?  I am close to getting platinum but on the local boards I am only silver.  Crying

"Next coming weeks." That's about as much as I know. They've promised that all the post counts will carry over. 

• Apparently I have 26 posts over there.  I'm platinum here.  What gives?

Irish, I found a check box on the side for viewing recent posts first.  Not full sorting, but at least 2 options.

Has anyone tested on chrome?

• What's the deal with the facebook and twitter connections? A few people on my local board had it connect to their fb accts without their permission and they're really not happy about it since they use the nest as a place to anonymously feel things out (IF, new pregnancies, family issues, etc.) and now the anonymity is gone if it links to fb.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I want that damn sorting option. And I hate it. Due to confusion.  And that my sig isn't there, just the link to it.

ETA: And I now have 1 post there. Lame!!!  I think. 

• I don't know about the FB and twitter connections. I would think like anything on FB they should be able to unhook it some way.

I'm using it on a chrome based platform and I'm not having any issues, except weird single space returns. 

• image Sibil:

Has anyone tested on chrome?

I use Chrome. I just checked a local board, and saw the new format. I also saw a check-box on the right-hand side for sorting post by latest reply.  

• I'm not seeing the box. I see it in the post itself, but not on the main board.
  • There's a link at the bottom of each post where it says "tweet" or "like." Meaning that if I'm logged into FB and the nest at the same time and accidentally click that it would show up on my FB? Helllll no.
  • Does it finally allow chrome users to use smilies, links, and pictures?

Chrome is my primary platform, but it's on a computer that I don't have with me for the next few days.  That's why I'm asking people to do my testing :)

• "my posts" is all jacked up now, how can we view if there are new replies to posts we've participated in?
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • image Lucille Bluth:
    There's a link at the bottom of each post where it says "tweet" or "like." Meaning that if I'm logged into FB and the nest at the same time and accidentally click that it would show up on my FB? Helllll no.

Yup. 

• my local board already created a FB group b/c so many people are p!ssed off about it linking to FB/Twitter.

I haven't been on all day --- if my Nest account is linked to a different email than my FB/twitter - will things still get linked somehow through IP?  I am afraid to post to try and find out.

WTF is wrong with the nest... really - this has to be the dumbest thing they have ever done.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • I created a new account to test out the FB thing, it automatically detects if you are logged in to  FB/Twitter and links up if you hit one of the buttons.  So creating a new account really does nothing to make you more anonymous.

Pixy if there is anyway they can make it so we can disable the social networking connections I think that is priority #1 

• From their perspective it isn't dumb. More ways to pull people into their site = greater revenue for them.

As for FB, as long as you don't accidentally hit the buttons, you're good. I'm really not understanding why people are freaking out about it. It's not like it's posting every post you create. 

• I don't trust the nest not to malfunction and out me on FB
  • I just asked on the mod board re: disabling FB. I probably won't hear anything until tomorrow.
  • image pugznploons:
    I don't trust the nest not to malfunction and out me on FB

Yes.  If I click it by accident and it shows up on my news feed and my nosy friends (cause let's face it, if I saw that on someone's page I'd def go read it) go to check it out (or co-workers) and I'm b!tching about one of them = bad news.   

July 19, 2008

My Food Blog

• image pixy_stix:

From their perspective it isn't dumb. More ways to pull people into their site = greater revenue for them.

As for FB, as long as you don't accidentally hit the buttons, you're good. I'm really not understanding why people are freaking out about it. It's not like it's posting every post you create. 

Because while YOU might not hit the button, other people might. And if you posted in that thread and have mutual friends, well I'm sure you can see where things have the potential to get ugly. 

image "Evolutionary game theorists...ignoring beebees on the nest since 2005"
  • I also was not able to delete my test post....just edit it...so does this mean we can't delete posts anymore??
  • If we can't sort by last reply, there is seriously no point in using these boards. I don't understand why that isn't the default anyways--it's how every other message board I've used works. 

I hadn't noticed the post count thing, but that sounds annoying.

And I wasn't bothered by the FB links until I read this thread and now I'm worried I'll hit them by mistake too!

What an idiotic "update." I didn't think they could make the nest less user friendly but I think they've gone and done it. Wow.  

• image pixy_stix:

Probably because it's really easy to accidentally hit an incorrect button. I've done that in the past. Does it at least verify/confirm that you want something posted to fb or twitter? That would at least make it better as it'd be hard to accidentally hit an incorrect button twice.

A lot of people like to be anonymous on the nest, understandably so, therefore people are going to care if their fb or twitter can lead someone to their posts on here. 

I personally am not very anonymous on here, but wouldn't want most of my IRL friends on facebook reading what I type. 

• image MrsBini10:

If we can't sort by last reply, there is seriously no point in using these boards. I don't understand why that isn't the default anyways--it's how every other message board I've used works. 

I hadn't noticed the post count thing, but that sounds annoying.

And I wasn't bothered by the FB links until I read this thread and now I'm worried I'll hit them by mistake too!

What an idiotic "update." I didn't think they could make the nest less user friendly but I think they've gone and done it. Wow.  

I must be the only person who doesn't sort by last reply. I never have, so that doesn't bother me at all. I am more annoyed by the My Posts changing. 

DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

• The FB doesn't automatically post to your wall. It brings up a pop-up and then you have to fillout and post a status update for it to appear on FB. Even so, it appears to only bring up the whole thread, not an individual's reply.

You can also Unlike any post you Like- while the popup is on.  

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image Blessed55:
    image pixy_stix:

Probably because it's really easy to accidentally hit an incorrect button. I've done that in the past. Does it at least verify/confirm that you want something posted to fb or twitter? That would at least make it better as it'd be hard to accidentally hit an incorrect button twice.

A lot of people like to be anonymous on the nest, understandably so, therefore people are going to care if their fb or twitter can lead someone to their posts on here. 

I personally am not very anonymous on here, but wouldn't want most of my IRL friends on facebook reading what I type. 

According to people on the locals no it gives you no warning. And it is very hard if not impossible to delete. If you nest from a tablet this is like a death wish because mistakes would be so easy. 

• image pixy_stix:

From their perspective it isn't dumb. More ways to pull people into their site = greater revenue for them.

but if it means alienating their current users, then it is a bad business decision. I will have to stop nesting if it links to my FB account. I come here for some kind of anonymity. I do not want my $hitz posted all over FB.
  • image pixy_stix:
    I'm really not understanding why people are freaking out about it. It's not like it's posting every post you create. 

Because it's blurring the "real" world of Facebook with your real name, real photos of you, and real details of your life, with the avatar/persona/anonymity of the Nest.  Facebook has already proven themselves to be sketchy with people's privacy, so adding yet another thing that can access that information is not cool, especially when it does it automatically.

The Nest also doesn't have the greatest track record of not breaking things all to hell when they make changes like these, and the *never* bother to solicit feedback about the changes.  Sure, it's to be expected that websites will mix things up, we'll piss and moan for a few days or weeks, then get over it, and move on, but these transitions could go more smoothly if they'd put even a tiny bit of effort into it.

Not to mention there are reports on other boards (I think the Book Club board) that someone liked a post, it posted to their FB feed, and then they couldn't delete it from their FB page.  That is extra not OK.

//soapbox

Andplusalso, can they please revert the change to My Posts?  Because it's dumb to not know if anyone has replied since I have.. that's really the only reason why I care about "my posts."