Health & Fitness

retainer the rest of my life??

I had braces when I was maybe 13? Only had them for less than 2 years. Ever since then I have had the clear retainers. I'm almost 25 now and the need to continue wearing them every night remains apparent. Like many others, when my wisdom teeth grew in there was a bit of shifting and I still have them (dentist doesn't think I need them pulled) so my retainer does a bit of work at keeping this shifting under control.

I'm not good about wearing my retainer every night bc.. you know.. not exactly sexy to kiss DH with plastic in my mouth (guess it's better than the sleep apnea face masks) so I don't always put it in before falling asleep. And if I skip a couple nights there's shifting and my retainer doesn't fit back in as easily.

Do I really need to wear my retainer every night for the rest of my life? Or if I'm diligent about it for a certain amount of time will my teeth finally settle? 

ETA- Do you ever get your retainer replaced with a new one? I imagine so, right? I can't remember the last time I had mine replaced... It would be nice to have a nice new clear one. I clean it obviously but it gets weird-looking over time regardless.  

save the date
"Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>

Re: retainer the rest of my life??

• I got braces a second time as an adult because my top front teeth shifted and a gap developed. My ortho put in a permanent bar behind those teeth to prevent further shifting but I also have a retainer that I'm supposed to wear every night. I'm terrible about doing it and it actually does feel tight when I manage to remember, even though I have that bar to hold things in place, which tells me that I will be using it forever. 
  • Two time braces wearer here. Yes, I think you will need to wear it for the rest of your life, but I don't know that you need to wear it all night, every night. I would ask your dentist how many hours a day you need to wear it for. It may be sufficient to wear it for a shorter time, like say for the hour that you are getting ready for work in the morning or something.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• ETA- It's nice to know there are other adults out there who wear retainers. Sometimes I feel like it's nobody besides me haha You don't really know bc you can't see. I see some adults with braces, but could probably count the number of times on one hand.

Do you ever get your retainer replaced with a new one? I imagine so, right? I can't remember the last time I had mine replaced... It would be nice to have a nice new clear one. I clean it obviously but it gets weird-looking over time regardless. 

image is_it_over_yet?:
    I got braces a second time as an adult because my top front teeth shifted and a gap developed. My ortho put in a permanent bar behind those teeth to prevent further shifting but I also have a retainer that I'm supposed to wear every night. I'm terrible about doing it and it actually does feel tight when I manage to remember, even though I have that bar to hold things in place, which tells me that I will be using it forever. 

I actually asked my ortho about the permanent retainer and he was against it (but I guess it didn't work for you anyway) 

image Brit's Luna154:
    Two time braces wearer here. Yes, I think you will need to wear it for the rest of your life

nooooo! lol 

image Brit's Luna154:
    I don't know that you need to wear it all night, every night. I would ask your dentist how many hours a day you need to wear it for. It may be sufficient to wear it for a shorter time, like say for the hour that you are getting ready for work in the morning or something.

That's a good point. I should ask about that. Recently I've been wearing them for about 3 hours in the morning (either in addition to night or to make up for it)... but I haven't even been consistent about this. 

I do try not to completely neglect them for weeks bc it would be awful if I neglected them beyond "retainer-repair" after my mom spent the money on the orthodontist.

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • I haven't worn my retainer in about 8 years.  My teeth shifted a bit but nothing terrible.  Ironically, all four of my wisdom teeth grew in straight and not impacted..the only straight teeth I had in my entire head.  I am getting fitted for a nightguard, however, because I grind my teeth something fierce.

One word about "permanent" retainers.  They are not really all that permanent.  DH had to wear braces again for about 6 mo on his top teeth in college.  He was fitted with a permanent retainer after that.  Over about 5-6 years, it degraded and he had to go back to the dentist in stages to have the wire cut and the adhesive scraped off his teeth.  He often had the wire poking him for a day or so because it inevitably broke on a weekend.  Our dentist eventually took what was left of it off and fitted him with a regular retainer.  I'd say that would be a better option because it will last longer.

• I'm convinced that I will be wearing mine the rest of my life.  If I go a few days without it, I have two teeth that tend to go rouge, lol.   As for replacement, I would guess they would wear out after a while.  Not looking forward to shelling out $600 for a new one when the times comes.

2010 Houston Aramco Half Marathon 2:27:06-1st Half
    2010 Seawall Half Marathon 2:27:47

2012 Houston Aramco Half Marathon 1/15/2012 2:29:06 :(

Upcoming races & events:
    Muddy Girl- 3/25/2012
    Rungirl 13.1 Relay 12/9/12
  • image Mrs Acorn Blue:

I haven't worn my retainer in about 8 years.  My teeth shifted a bit but nothing terrible.  Ironically, all four of my wisdom teeth grew in straight and not impacted..the only straight teeth I had in my entire head.  I am getting fitted for a nightguard, however, because I grind my teeth something fierce.

One word about "permanent" retainers.  They are not really all that permanent.  

I've had a permanent retainer for 15 years. Besides a bit of the adhesive coming off, it is still going strong. My dentist thinks it is working great and I will continue to have it indefinitely.

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have a wire on the inside of my bottom teeth, but I still wear a plastic retainer on the top and bottom teeth every single night, without fail, unless I come home too liquored up that I don't do my routine (maybe 3-4x per year).  While I definitely feel sexier without it on, it doesn't prevent DH or me from enjoying each other.  I go to the dentist twice a year for a cleaning so he cleans my retainer too, and I visit the orthodontist once a year for him to clean and/or replace them.  As much as it is kind of annoying, I'd rather have straight, pretty teeth.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Randa1976:
    I'm convinced that I will be wearing mine the rest of my life.  If I go a few days without it, I have two teeth that tend to go rouge

How long  have you been wearing them? 

image Randa1976:
    Not looking forward to shelling out $600 for a new one when the times comes.

agreed.... 

image jillybean916:
    I visit the orthodontist once a year for him to clean and/or replace them. 

Do you mean your clear retainer? How often does he replace them? 

save the date
  • image xstarx05x:

image jillybean916:

Yes, the clear one.  I probably replace them every two years, if not every year, because I usually crack them at some point.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had a fixed retainer for 10 years because 4 years of a regular one didn't do the trick and I needed braces again (in high school - round 1 was in jr. high). 

But my dentist noted a lot of inflammation around parts of my fixed retainer because it's placed so high on my teeth so at least part of it (the 4 teeth surrounding my very front/top two) may have to come out and I am so worried about what will happen! He wants to get the whole thing out, but my front teeth are huge and had a garage door-style space between them and I just don't know if I can risk them shifting back, argh.

It does seem like for some of us, retainers are a life-long gig. Ugh.  

• image xstarx05x:

image Randa1976:
    I'm convinced that I will be wearing mine the rest of my life.  If I go a few days without it, I have two teeth that tend to go rouge

How long  have you been wearing them?   Ive been out of braces about 3 years.  Bottom is cemented in, the top of course is the nightly wear.  I went back to see if they could cement the top as well and they wont because of how the teeth flex.  Blah...so I'll be the only 80 year old in the retirement community with a flourescent retainer lol!

image Randa1976:
    Not looking forward to shelling out $600 for a new one when the times comes.

agreed.... 

image jillybean916:

2010 Houston Aramco Half Marathon 2:27:06-1st Half
    2010 Seawall Half Marathon 2:27:47

2012 Houston Aramco Half Marathon 1/15/2012 2:29:06 :(

Upcoming races & events:
    Muddy Girl- 3/25/2012
    Rungirl 13.1 Relay 12/9/12
  • I got my braces off in the 5th grade and I still wear my retainer a few times per night and I'm 27. I don't wear it enough as my teeth have slightly shifted. I know for a fact if I stopped wearing it all together my teeth would move even more. I have had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out.

I haven't gotten a new one in lord knows how long, but the dentist said that's fine. 

• I don't wear my retainer every night but I wear it most nights, and plan to for the rest of my life.  I consider wearing it forever to be part of the deal.

• Two time braces-wearer here too. I have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth and wore an invisilign-like retainer every night for the first 2 years my braces were off (my ortho said I only needed it the first year). Then a I went to just a few nights a week. Now after 5 years, don't wear it at all anymore. Haven't noticed any shifting yet.
  • image xstarx05x:

image is_it_over_yet?:
    I got braces a second time as an adult because my top front teeth shifted and a gap developed. My ortho put in a permanent bar behind those teeth to prevent further shifting but I also have a retainer that I'm supposed to wear every night. I'm terrible about doing it and it actually does feel tight when I manage to remember, even though I have that bar to hold things in place, which tells me that I will be using it forever. 

I actually asked my ortho about the permanent retainer and he was against it (but I guess it didn't work for you anyway) 

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I got it after my second round of braces, not my first, and it has worked just fine thus far.  I've now had it for 8 years.  I haven't noticed any degradation and none of my dental check-ups have resulted in any concerns about it.

• image Interrobang:

But my dentist noted a lot of inflammation around parts of my fixed retainer because it's placed so high on my teeth so at least part of it (the 4 teeth surrounding my very front/top two) may have to come out and I am so worried about what will happen! He wants to get the whole thing out, but my front teeth are huge and had a garage door-style space between them and I just don't know if I can risk them shifting back, argh.

It does seem like for some of us, retainers are a life-long gig. Ugh.  

for a moment I thought you were saying your dentist wanted to take out your front teeth! :(  Would he want you to get a removable retainer instead so there isn't moving but the inflammation is under control?

image Randa1976:

I'll be the only 80 year old in the retirement community with a flourescent retainer lol!

hahaha  

image runblondie26:
    Two time braces-wearer here too. I have a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth and wore an invisilign-like retainer every night for the first 2 years my braces were off (my ortho said I only needed it the first year). Then a I went to just a few nights a week. Now after 5 years, don't wear it at all anymore. Haven't noticed any shifting yet.

wow that sounds great!

image is_it_over_yet?:

image is_it_over_yet?:
    My ortho put in a permanent bar behind those teeth to prevent further shifting but I also have a retainer that I'm supposed to wear every night. I'm terrible about doing it and it actually does feel tight when I manage to remember, even though I have that bar to hold things in place, which tells me that I will be using it forever. 

I got it after my second round of braces, not my first, and it has worked just fine thus far.  I've now had it for 8 years.  I haven't noticed any degradation and none of my dental check-ups have resulted in any concerns about it.

so you said your teeth still move a bit with the bar and you have to use the retainer in addition to keep them in place?

save the date