Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm starting an IRL book club!

There's a local one that already meets around here but they never pick books I like so I've decided to start my own!  I tried this about 2 years ago and people never finished the books or always tried to change the meeting dates so it fell apart.  I put a request out on FB and I've had four people respond in about 10 minutes so I'm feeling hopeful.  I didn't really LEAD the last group, any pointers from all of you in IRL book clubs??

Nicolle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: I'm starting an IRL book club!

• I have been a part of one for about 3 years. We each take turns hosting and fixing a main course and then everyone brings the rest. It's more of a social group. We talk about the book but it's not usually the priority! We try to pick a book a couple months in advance so people can get it from the library and we all take turns suggesting/picking the book. it's fun! good luck

Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85

• Fun!  Good for you for initiating!

No real pointers, honestly, I think that as long as the people in the group are interested it'll flow on it's own just fine! 

Everyone in my group takes turns picking a book every month (there is a core group of 4 of us right now, it was 5, but one took a few months off because she had her 2nd baby and found herself short on time.).  We used to all make suggestions and vote every month, but that didn't work out very well and it just ended up taking longer to pick a book.  Maybe that would work better in a much larger group. 

We have a standing meeting the last Wednesday of every month.  We plan to meet at a centrally located Starbucks as we're from all sides of the city, but some months someone volunteers to host at their house.  I think all of us actually prefer the home meetings, but with kids and such it's not always so easy to just open up your home, so some months we're at Starbucks.  If we're at Sbux we just all buy our own drinks/snacks.  If it's at someone's house they usually provide a snack for us. 

It helps that we were already friends and decided to start the book club because we have more in common than just the books we're reading, so we chat about other things too, but if you're starting with FB friends, you'll probably already know the people too! 

But yeah, I think the most important thing is just that the other members are into it and are going to read the books and go to the meetings and such.  Occasionally one of us will have a scheduling conflict and then we can bump the meeting up by a day or so, but generally we stick to the last Wednesday of every month and people have been really good about it, thus far.  At least the core members anyway.  We've had other people express interest, but no one has really committed to doing it every month like the 4/5 of us.

GL!  I've been wanting to be part of a RL book club for a long time and I'm so happy that now I finally am!  It's really fun!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)